Bunnies & Burrows For RuneQuest

B&B is an odd game.

My sister ran a campiagn a few years ago for my kids, and her take on the setting was that the rabbits had to mostly act like ... well, rabbits. That meant no use of "hands" any more than rabbits could actually use their paws, etc. Under this type of style I'm not sure that there is any advantage in using RQ over any other dice mechanic.

If you decided to make them more humanized rabbits with more ability to manipulate items then perhaps RQ would be a decent fit.

I think the original poster tried to make fun out of RQ, because RQ uses ducks. So he suggested RQ could also handle rabbits.

I am not a fan of "funny" RPGs...

Not sure what you mean by "funny" in this context. However, B&B could be run perfectly seriously - even if you allowed the rabbits to have hands.

Gentleman John said:
Not sure what you mean by "funny" in this context. However, B&B could be run perfectly seriously - even if you allowed the rabbits to have hands.

Watership Down was pretty serious - although those rabbits didn't have guns.

I expect RQ could do a Watership Down or Redwall style game quite nicely. In fact, I might start writing......where are my Redwall books...?

Simon_W said:
Watership Down was pretty serious - although those rabbits didn't have guns.

I expect RQ could do a Watership Down....
Indeed, I believe that Watership Down was her main inspiration. :)

She wanted the players to do "rabbit-like" things rather than what regular people would do. This really messed her players up at first....

Anyone ever play Albedo? That had lots of cool critters with some serious guns. Actually it was quite a decent game with a good set of rules... I seem to remember that the rabbits were the main bad guys

djd said:
Anyone ever play Albedo? That had lots of cool critters with some serious guns. Actually it was quite a decent game with a good set of rules... I seem to remember that the rabbits were the main bad guys

Got it ! I think its the best Animorphic game around :D

All that talking about it has made me go out and buy another copy... Watch out you evil rabbits

If you like Watership Down, you might like

It's a Dog's Life

or

Tales from The Wood
http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1016378

Both games are very much in that ilk, written after reading too much Duncton Wood and other animal books.

Simon W

The Albedo RPG was pretty good, but needed work.

It focuses on personalities and social interaction and handles those fairly well. But it did not handle action well, and vehicle combat quite poorly.
Likely the Socio-Psych-Intellect rules could be spliced onto another set of rules which did the rest well.
A good story-teller style referee could use it in a very enjoyable game (but that could be said of most any system).

Of particular note is that certain aspects were done "off stage" because the practical realities got in the way of the characters and story (e.g. how the penguin surgeon practiced his craft with no digits).
This shows conclusively that an RPG need not enforce practical limitations like making your rabbits use their mouth for manipulation.

Steve Gallacci's artwork was fantastic and the setting / back story fabulous, but the periodical was never published reliably.
That left a great many crucial elements of the world unknown, making it impossible to include any far-reaching story arcs in a campaign (without creating your own version of the world).

(IMO the second edition was poorer than the first.)

Osentalka said:
I think the original poster tried to make fun out of RQ, because RQ uses ducks. So he suggested RQ could also handle rabbits.

I am not a fan of "funny" RPGs...
No, not in the least. I love Bunnies & Burrows and am aspiring to get arounfd to RuneQuest. I honestly had no idea the RuneQuest uses ducks as a race.

Back