Buildings

Furtim13

Mongoose
Does anyone know where I can get some buildings cheap? all of the 1's I see are like $20+, and I'm looking for between $10 and $20.

You could build them yourself?
I have no idea of how much $10 is worth over there.
Here $10 is a fiver, thats nowt really unless you want to build it yourself.
Perhaps the platformer kits could suit your fancy?

The really cheap method is to use various "trash" plastic items like vacuformed shapes, plastic containers and lids from shaving cream, etc. I have even used empty cookie containers (Oreo) to good effect.

Go to a craft store and pick up those clear spheres to make into Christmas ornaments. They make great domes, either clear or painted. Another thing I've used is plastic electrical boxes and PVC/ABS plumbing parts.

For nice bulky structures try styrofoam shapes, such as what comes in packing materials (some of my favorite stuff to use). Just use water-based paint (Krylon H2o) or you'll have some sagging and dissolved stuff that looks like as if attacked by swarms of Blister Bugs (you might want some of that, but watch out).

These are pretty cheap, although I don't know about shipping if you live in the US: http://www.amera.co.uk/product.php?range=z

Then there's these: http://www.hirstarts.com/index.html You do have to do a lot of work with these but in the long run there's nothing cheaper then plaster.

Then there's paper models: http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/

There was another company that sold pre-cut foamcore buildings for really cheap but I can't find them. They used to be sold by Pictor's Studio. Anyone know the current website?

Hi

I know it may seem a daft suggestion, but as you have access to a computer - you could print and build your own.

If you google textures you will find loads of texture tiles that are used for computer games. Like the ones here: http://hfx.planetquake.gamespy.com/textures.html

Save these as jpgs, import them into something like word. Resize and lighten them to suit and then copy and paste to make up a wall of the size desired. Print these off and cover something like an old cardboard box and you have a building - coloured and detailed.

I used this method to build some city blocks for a popular Scifi game played at my local school. It worked well. The only limit on the size of building is the size of page you can print.

TTFN

Jim

Like some of the Vacuum form buidlings/trenches... I digress

There are a lot of software building/garden programs out there which will actually make the floor plans as you see fit and give you a 3D printable paper schematic. (If you really want to go above and beyond they even have structual support schematics to place the 2x4's) you can scale them anyway you like.
You can then use these to build your buildings. Foam board works well with a latex or other building medium ontop. Sand in latex paint works wonders.

Based upon comments by biddie I'll submit a photo here of a 25mm foam-board structure that I made for Battlefield Evolution recently. It can give some ideas of what can be done using this affordable craft board.

DESERT_4.jpg

Here is a second structure in progress and finally after being finished (it's the top level in the pic and that can also stand alone).

DESERT_5.jpg

DESERT_9.jpg

I'll add these because they were cheaply made from storage crates.

DCP_PLA_HQ_2.jpg

DCP00477.jpg

I made this from styrofoam packing shells and plunmbing parts that I mentioned before in this topic.

DCP_TERRA_28.jpg

DCP_TERRA_13.jpg

These biodomes were made using a roof vent and plumbing parts. Of course they fit better into the sci-fi setting of SST.

DCP_DOMEHOME_2.jpg

Love it, you must have a great imagination to get some of those ideas..wifee must love u :wink: . The milk crates can easily be made into parking structures, block office buildings etc....

Where did you get the sidewalks?

Is the counter top a formica(sp?) or is that actually a modelled road surface.

I like the energy plant or what ever it is... love the choices of PVC.

Oooops,

Forgot one thing... Where did you get the scaffolding..

This might be a readily available item to Sci-Fiers but I am traditionally a historical gamer for the last twenty and Starship has always been a part of me.

biddie said:
Love it, you must have a great imagination to get some of those ideas..wifee must love u :wink: . The milk crates can easily be made into parking structures, block office buildings etc....

Where did you get the sidewalks?

Is the counter top a formica(sp?) or is that actually a modelled road surface.

I like the energy plant or what ever it is... love the choices of PVC.

Well first, with no "wifee" about to stop me that would probably explain the lack of constraint, lol.

The sidewalks are just that- plastic styrene sheet in various patterns. Some of the patterns are called "sidewalk" and made for architectural building models and for the model railroad and gaming hobby. I'd try Evergreen Scale Models for a start, as I've been using their products for scratch building and kit-bashing for literally decades.

The street is primer coated fiber board with fleck stone paint added for additional detail. So yes, it is a modeled road surface.

biddie said:
Oooops,

Forgot one thing... Where did you get the scaffolding..

The scaffolding was assembled to fit the form of the Styrofoam packing material and was intended to add detail to the model and function for the game miniatures. The kit is called "Platformer" and is made by a Russian company called Tehnolog. In the U.S. the kit is distributed by Pegasus Hobbies and should be readily available to many hobby stores. Another kit they make is called "Hexagon" but is not made to be compatible with its sister system. Other kits have been released such as the "Chemical Plant" set which I have used also and painted yellow in the photos. Another good kit for making fabricated bridges is called Technobridge and is made and distributed by Pegasus itself.

As I have many articles in previous issues of Mongoose Publishing's Signs & Portents magazine I would direct you to free downloads of it. Most of my topics were directed at the Starship Troopers miniatures game system and are covered in the "wargamer" editions of S&P. I think my first article was included in issue #26 about two years ago and covered the great usefulness of the Platformer and Hexagon kits.

For instance, what is easily useable as catwalks is also good for fortress walls. One of the first things that I showed Mongoose was my version of Whiskey Outpost for use in games of SST. I think that model "got their attention" and was fun for me to create while waiting for the game's initial release.

I can state that I am working on another equally ambitious project (OK, more ambitious) while I wait for the second version of the game. I think that I could even call it "unique". :wink:

Stay tuned over the next few weeks/months when I finally show what I've done, but for now it's classified, heh. :roll:

Super sweet

I shall be running a convention game here in a few weeks in Plano. Board size will be 6' x 12'. The same terrain I use for Crete and Isandulwana. I will up load some pictures and a battle report when completed and design some terrain squares in the future for the BIG 'K'. I look forward to all the fum with SST.

Hey I am a shrew...damn saw the wifes cat eat one the other day...hope I am not next. Found a leg section with tail attached near the fridge :?

That sounds good (the BatRep and photos I mean and not about being a shrew, lol).

I've made up about a 4' x at least 10' run of styro panels that tries to look like Big K, Tango Urilla and Planet P; basically they are bleak terrain with weathered sandstone artifacts. If you google "Hell's Half Acre Wyoming" you should get some very familair photos and info.

In some of my articles I show one way to get some personality out of styro sheeting, carefully using acetone. Then of course the usual mixture of latex paint and sand helps to finish the shapes cut from styro.

By all and every means do post a report of your game. Photos are always liked here by everyone.

biddie said:
Super sweet

I shall be running a convention game here in a few weeks in Plano. Board size will be 6' x 12'. The same terrain I use for Crete and Isandulwana. I will up load some pictures and a battle report when completed and design some terrain squares in the future for the BIG 'K'. I look forward to all the fum with SST.

Hey I am a shrew...damn saw the wifes cat eat one the other day...hope I am not next. Found a leg section with tail attached near the fridge :?

How do you manage movement on a 6' by 12' board? We've found anything over 4' ends up being a big doughnut of activity with a void in the middle (most people can reach about 3' and won't walk all of the way around a massive table to use the space).

Keep more scenario based and having the objectives in certain locales keeps the players fairly spaced out.

JoseDominguez, he just has to hire pro basketball players to move the pieces. :wink:

Seriously though you are correct in that four feet is about max for a comfortable table width. My only thought would be to have a split table on wheels but that would of course get awkward fast.

If I ever hit the lottery (odds are bad due to me not playing it) I would make a huge table and have remote controlled movable overhead platforms that players could lay upon and hover over the battlefield, lol. :roll: I'd of course include cup holders in them if I could trust the players to not rain on the table. :shock:

Ahhhhh, those old bucky balls again I see :lol: .

I personally like to make my terrain(it stretches my ability to be handy). Plus I have a L-O-T of things I can use for terrain. But it all comes down to whatever you want to do I say :)

roughneck GIR mk2 said:
Ahhhhh, those old bucky balls again I see :lol: .

I personally like to make my terrain(it stretches my ability to be handy). Plus I have a L-O-T of things I can use for terrain. But it all comes down to whatever you want to do I say :)

Hey, I didn't even know it but they are much closer to a structure that I saw in Camp Currie and in Whiskey Outpost. I always thought that the ribbed tents were the only designs that were used, but was I surprised when I viewed the film again. :shock: Let me know what you think. They aren't exactly the same, but hey it's nice to see something spherical and in a general way similar to what I made up. They even have a similar entrance to them. I was a bit surprised, as I said. :D

mF.jpg

Woah! You're right, I totally didn't notice those, I was paying more attention to rico all the time :lol: . Those tents look very much alike indeed, just the film's one has more rounded parts :)

Back