Brooklin Class Cruiser and Japanesse slow loading topedoes

So I should use this ship because in bigger games it will be ignored... And why will it not draw fire in a bigger game? Because it is not very good...

I think the biggest problem here is that the jump from cruiser to battleship is too big for the PL system to handle with ease. So the raid level has become this strange place where all the ships in it are either too weak (2 skirmish PL ships would be better) or too powerful (two of these ships would totally outclass a Battle PL ship).

Ho hum...

Joe_Dracos said:
A 1 on 1 battle is a dirrect mesurement of its abilities. It so far is preforming the same as a skirmish level ship.
A 1 on 1 battle is a direct measurement of an artificial situation it was never designed to be in.

Really, it's not that hard to understand, people, do try and think about this! I won't argue the point any more, it's been done time and time again, it seems to be impossible for some people to understand (or, rather, to admit) the actual purpose of the Priority system.

Wulf

And what would the actual Purpose of the priority system be, oh guru of gaming.

If these ships were ment to be fielded in groups you would not have a Brooklyn cost 1 Raid point by itself. You would Purchase 1 Brooklyn squadron (say 3 ships instead of 1) as 1 raid point.

Seems to be a rather simplistic system to me and easy to understand.

Here is an entirely new way to evaluate the Brooklyn and to keep it at Raid Level, but it takes adding either (or both) of two rules changes to the game to be granted by Mongoose. I'll toss my idea in first and then one by holden88.

Here are some hard facts about the Brooklyns. They mounted five triple 6" gunned turrets, right? These were a quick-firing gun model called the 6"/47 Mark 16. Some very respected references (navweaps.com) gives them a rate of fire (ROF) of up to 10 RPM (rounds per minute), and I've seen at least one other give them a ROF at even 12 RPM (but I'll even not use this stat). Now given that you can easily calculate an average broadside "throw" weight of rounds, we can compare this ship against a typical 8" US cruiser throw-weight. Here we go, hang onto your hats :wink: .

15x 6" guns firing a 'super heavy' 130lb. AP Mark 35 round at a ROF of 10 RPM ea. = 19,500 lbs. per minute. If DM is reading this btw, I found the ammo stowage to be 200 rounds per gun (hee hee). Even though VaS does not consider or count ammo, this is enough magazine stowage for 20 turns of full broadsides in regulation VaS play :wink: . Let's now consider a typical US Heavy Cruiser with 8" guns, say a New Orleans-

9x 8" guns firing a 260lb. AP round at a ROF of 4 RPM (official) ea. = 9,360lbs. Even considering that the 8" round weighs exactly twice as much as the shell fired by the Brooklyn's 6" guns, the Brooklyn can place over twice the throw weight per salvo/broadside that the 8"-gunned heavy cruiser can. I would therefore propose that Matt allow the Brooklyn and her sisters to increase the AD to a factor of "2" (up from 1 AD). I'm ready at this point for someone to jump in and say that the barrels would surely melt down and thus prevent this case from proceeding any further, but the guns have a barrel life of four to five times the ammo stowage capacity of 200 rounds stated earlier :wink: . Those that are evaluating the Brooklyn's Raid status are at least thinking that there are two things at least that are keeping the leash on my little "pit bull"- "weak" guns and no torpedoes, and thaey would be correct. This brings me to the second idea for consideration by Mongoose, and this wasn't my idea.

If I may be allowed to quote holden88 (from another forum), here is what he and his group are working with for critical hit options-

It should be noted that "weak" weapons cannot cause critical hits, this is the only exception or modifier to the rule that a natural 6 will always indicate a potential critical.

We've been playing this game quite a bit lately and have altered the rules to suite our tastes (difficult to find a minis game I own that we have not done this for).

One of the rules changes we made was that a damage die total that equals a targets armour value just casuses one damage to the hull, while a damage die roll which exceeds the targets armour causes one damage to the hull and also kills one crew.

We completly binned the critical hit on a natural 6 thing and instead any damaging hit which exceeds a ships armour rating may also go on to cause a critical. We simply roll a D6 and add the number that the armour was exceeded to the total. If the reslt is a 7 or more then a critical is scored. This way destroyers can cause criticals against one another. Also the big, tough ships are still immune to being critical hits from weak weapons, but their big guns can easily cause criticals to unarmoured ships.

Now, combine either (or both) suggestions and apply them to the Brooklyn and tell me that they don't belong at the Raid Level of value. Granted, both ideas are at present unoficial as per Mongoose but I'd like to change that status after some consideration. :wink:

Don't worry, I just ran off on a rant, and was inspired, lol. I'm ok now (maybe)... :lol:

Come on Lowly Uhlan you seeme quite intent on trashing my comments on the likes of the Brooklyn and other ship out of their level, I'm sure you could answer Buships comments about this?

BuShips said:
We completly binned the critical hit on a natural 6 thing and instead any damaging hit which exceeds a ships armour rating may also go on to cause a critical. We simply roll a D6 and add the number that the armour was exceeded to the total. If the reslt is a 7 or more then a critical is scored. This way destroyers can cause criticals against one another. Also the big, tough ships are still immune to being critical hits from weak weapons, but their big guns can easily cause criticals to unarmoured ships.
I like that rule. The only problem have with it is the extra time required... it is not uncommon for a big ship to score something liek 15 hits... having to work out how much over the armour value the hit was, subtract it and roll each one individually, would be a bit of a pain. I'd say each hit that rolls exactly on the armour value scores one damage; each hit that exceeds armour scores 1 damage and is re-rolled, scoring a crit on 5+.

I'd say each hit that rolls exactly on the armour value scores one damage; each one that exceeds it is re-rolled, scoring a crit on 5+.

That probably works well in combination with allowing Weak guns (5.5", 6") to cause criticals. The -1 on DD would stop them causing damage to armour 6+ battleships anyway; having damage but no chance of crits on DD=armour would stop them causing crits on 5+ BBs, but still allows it on thinner armoured ships.

DM said:
I'd say each hit that rolls exactly on the armour value scores one damage; each one that exceeds it is re-rolled, scoring a crit on 5+.

That probably works well in combination with allowing Weak guns (5.5", 6") to cause criticals. The -1 on DD would stop them causing damage to armour 6+ battleships anyway; having damage but no chance of crits on DD=armour would stop them causing crits on 5+ BBs, but still allows it on thinner armoured ships.
Yeah, in fact even normal guns couldn't cause crits on armour 6+ ships. Only AP and SAP guns can exceed 6. Weak guns could only cause crits on armour 4+ or below ships.

Edit: oh and plunging fire would allow normal guns to crit armour 6+ ships, and W guns to crit on armour 5+.

Back