Border Kingdom... What? No stats on the vampire worm???

Dpetroc

Mongoose
(approaching Vincent Darlage on bended knee).

Okay -- the vampire remora is mentioned in the road of kings... Do we have stats for such a fell beast???

(humbly asks the Conan newbie in the same voice in which Oliver asked for 'more').

I don't think stats have appeared for it. Here is something on short notice I whipped up.

Remora (Snow-Devil, Yakhmar, Frost Worm)
Huge Magical Beast (Cold)
Hit Dice: 14d10+70 (147 hp)
Initiative: +10 (+1 Dex, +9 Ref)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), burrow 10 ft.
Defence Value: 19 (–2 size, +1 Dex, +10 natural)
Damage Reduction: 10 (+1 fur, +1 gelid body, +8 cold)
Base Attack/Grapple: +14/+30
Attack: Bite +21 melee (2d8+12 plus 1d8 cold)
Full Attack: Bite +21 melee (2d8+12 plus 1d8 cold)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Trill, cold
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., death throes, immunity to cold, low-light vision, vulnerability to fire
Magic Attack: +7
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +10, Will +6
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 13, Con 20, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: Hide +3*, Listen +5, Spot +5
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (bite), Iron Will, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Cold plains, Snow-Devil Glacier (Eiglophian Mountains)
Organization: Solitary
Advancement: 15–21 HD (Huge); 22–42 HD (Gargantuan)

Then in the gloom before him opened two cold green eyes, which stared into the roots of his soul. These luminous orbs cast a gelid, submarine light of their own. By their faint, fungoid phosphorescence, he could that there the cavern ended in a round well, which was the ice-worm's nest. Coil on undulating coil, its immense length was curled in the hollow of its nest. Its boneless form was covered with the silken nap of thick white fur. Its mouth was merely a jawless, circular opening, now puckered and closed. Above the mouth, the two luminous orbs gleamed out of a smooth, rounded, featureless, eel-like head.
~ L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter, The Lair of the Ice Worm

The remora is the vampiric worm of the ice-lands, an almost forgotten whisper of horror in Cimmerian myth. A remora has glowing green eyes, a worm-like gelid body, a featureless eel-like head with a jawless, round opening for a mouth. Inside the mouth is a raspy, many-toothed tongue. Its body is covered with thick, white fur. It cannot burrow through stone, but can manage ice and frozen earth. When moving through such hard materials it leaves behind a usable tunnel about 5 feet in diameter. A remora is about 40 feet long, 5 feet in diameter, and weighs about 8,000 pounds. The remora has no soul or mind – just a remorseless hunger. It is a nocturnal hunter.

The creature is known as a remora to the Cimmerians, a snow-devil to the northern races and a yakhmar to the Hyperboreans. Certain mystical texts claim these creatures are native to another world (such as Ganymede). Its blood resembles liquid oxygen and its interior may well be frozen oxygen. Anything coming into contact with its blood may become brittle enough to shatter. Conan, in an apocryphal tale, may have slain one of the pair brought to Earth by elder Hyperborean sorcerers.

Combat
A remora's standard attack is to approach slowly and begin its thin, hellish piping, which entrances its victims and brings the victim safely to the remora. Failing that, remoras may hide under the snow and ice until they hear movement above them, then attack from below and surprise prey.

Cold (Ex): A remora generates cold so intense that anything touching its body takes 8d6 points of cold damage. The damage is almost identical to a burn. Anything killed by the remora is frozen solid. Anyone approaching within 60' of the remora takes 1 point of cold damage per round as ice forms on their bodies. Creatures striking a remora with natural attacks or unarmed attacks are subject to this damage, but creatures striking with melee weapons only take 1d8 points of damage from the remora’s cold. The intense cold causes opponents to take an extra 1d8 points of cold damage every time the creature succeeds on a bite attack. This cold can weaken weapons; any weapon that strikes a remora is allowed a DC 18 Fortitude save to avoid destruction. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Death Throes (Ex): If killed and if its interior, which may be comprised of frozen oxygen, is exposed to sufficient heat, a remora has a combustion reaction resulting in an explosion that deals 12d6 points of combined fire and cold damage and 8d6 points of piercing damage to everything within 100 feet (Reflex half DC 22). The save DC is Constitution-based.

Trill (Su): The remora can sound a trilling, mind-blowing song which has a lulling, overpowering, narcotic effect. It has the sound of ululating pipes. This sonic mind-affecting compulsion affects all creatures other than other remoras within a 100-foot radius. A character must be awake for the song to have any affect. The target creature(s) must make a Will saving throw (set by the remora's magic attack bonus) or be unable to take any actions other than move toward the remora for as long as the remora trills plus 1d4 rounds afterwards. Any characters who fail their save will move inexorably toward the remora. However, if attacked or violently shaken (a full-round action), a victim is allowed another saving throw. Once a creature has resisted or broken the effect, it cannot be affected again by that same remora’s trill for 24 hours.

Vulnerability to Fire (Ex): Heated weapons (at least red-hot) reduce the remora's damage resistance to 2. Anything heated to red- or white-hot that manages to reach the interior causes the remora to explode into its death throws (see above). Further, the remora takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from fire damage, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

Skills: *A remora, due to its coloration and its affinity for burying itself in the snow, has a +10 racial bonus on Hide checks in its native environment.

There is no way I could sound so humble, yet "whip" up a monster on such short notice. You got my vote.

You know, when I first read about the Ice Worm as a kid, I never had an inkling it wasn't an invention of Howard's. But it was one monster I never forgot.

Conan RPG=Vincent Darlage
'nuff said.

I've been a fan of your d20 site for a number of years, and it inspired me to reread all of the REH stories I had on hand (including one of my favorites, Almuric).

Outside of my renewed love of Conan costing me a small fortune in ebay auctions for old issues of Savage Sword, it's been a real treat. Thanks man.

I apologize in advance if this seems like beating on Vincent (it is not intended as such), but there are few problems IMHO with the creature:

Its blood resembles liquid oxygen and its interior may well be frozen oxygen. Anything coming into contact with its blood may become brittle enough to shatter. Conan, in an apocryphal tale, may have slain one of the pair brought to Earth by elder Hyperborean sorcerers.

Thats awfully cold. Cold enough that the creature would be bound to explode under internal pressure.

Cold (Ex): A remora generates cold so intense that anything touching its body takes 8d6 points of cold damage. The damage is almost identical to a burn. Anything killed by the remora is frozen solid. Anyone approaching within 60' of the remora takes 1 point of cold damage per round as ice forms on their bodies. Creatures striking a remora with natural attacks or unarmed attacks are subject to this damage, but creatures striking with melee weapons only take 1d8 points of damage from the remora’s cold. The intense cold causes opponents to take an extra 1d8 points of cold damage every time the creature succeeds on a bite attack.

If anything touching the creature takes 8D6, shouldnt the reverse also deal 8D6 damage (consistency) ?

What happens if you hit the creature with an unarmed attack ? You arm will shatter ?

Death Throes (Ex): If killed and if its interior, which may be comprised of frozen oxygen, is exposed to sufficient heat, a remora has a combustion reaction resulting in an explosion that deals 12d6 points of combined fire and cold damage and 8d6 points of piercing damage to everything within 100 feet (Reflex half DC 22). The save DC is Constitution-based.

Oxygen, by itself doesnt explode unless you are talking about the pressure differential. Liquid Oxygen and organics are a big no-no.

Im not saying I can do better, but one questions how a creature can even exist without immediately dying under terrestrial conditions. Maybe it just reminds me of the remorhaz, a 3.5 creature I find particularly wacky (yah, I know , its magic.....).

Mad Dog

All I can say is that L. Sprague de Camp invented the monster and I tried to emulate it as best as I could.

1950s monsters were not always logical.

Anyway...

MadDog said:
What happens if you hit the creature with an unarmed attack ? You arm will shatter ?

Let's look again at the ability....

Cold (Ex): A remora generates cold so intense that anything touching its body takes 8d6 points of cold damage. The damage is almost identical to a burn. Anything killed by the remora is frozen solid. Creatures striking a remora with natural attacks or unarmed attacks are subject to this damage, but creatures striking with melee weapons only take 1d8 points of damage from the remora’s cold. Anyone approaching within 60' of the remora takes 1 point of cold damage per round as ice forms on their bodies. The intense cold causes opponents to take an extra 1d8 points of cold damage every time the creature succeeds on a bite attack.

Obviously, if you strike the creature with an unarmed attack, the character will take 8d6 damage. Let's look at de Camp's story for a supporting quote, shall we? "It would be impossible to grapple with the ice worm with naked hands. The very touch of the creature meant frozen death." (page 77, Conan of Cimmeria, Ace edition, 16th printing)

Yogah of Yag said:
I think the stats could work.
I'll just tell the unfortunate PCs that its just like getting an ice cream headache! :lol:

Only all over. Vincent- mind if I borrow this critter for my collection? 8)

The problem is that normal weapons can shatter:

This cold can weaken weapons; any weapon that strikes a remora is allowed a DC 18 Fortitude save to avoid destruction. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Why would an unarmed attack not have a chance to shatter when a normal weapon would ?

Furthermore, how does a CON-less item make a FORT save ?

I am not implying it is out of LSDC's canon, just that I find it rather goofy. Consider that a criticism of LSDC and not Vincent Darlange.

Mad Dog

Why would an unarmed attack not have a chance to shatter when a normal weapon would ?

Are you thinking a person's bare arm would shatter? Unarmed means no weapon. And according to a lot of movies by Hollywood, yes the bare arm would shatter if it was frozen when it hit the monster. Although how you could be moving while frozen is hard to say.

Are you thinking a person's bare arm would shatter? Unarmed means no weapon.

Your fist is a weapon. Why shouldnt it suffer the same fate ?

This same sort of thing happens with the remorhaz, which always ticked me off as being both silly and inconsistent.

Mad Dog

Your fist is a weapon. Why shouldnt it suffer the same fate ?

Oh, I totally agree with you. I just wanted to be clear on that matter. But I think if you were close enough to freeze your arm, you are close enough to freeze the whole body. I don't think you would have enough time to worry about hitting the monster with anything.

I don't understand the issue, Mad Dog. If you strike it with an unarmed strike, you will take 8d6 damage (average damage = 28 points) which will probably force a massive damage save and the character will probably die. If you want to describe the damage as an arm freezing and breaking, then do it. I probably would, but that is just the way I GM.

It is damage - which is always vague in d20. It is up to the GM to describe the actual "damage" if needed. It sounds to me like you are just splitting hairs. Describe the damage however you want. Does everything have to be described for you in a ruleset, or do you want room to use your own imagination and vision?

It is damage. You can describe the damage however you want. It's simple.

please Forgive Mad Dog for his responses.... He playes with Chemicals all day long
Some times, when no one is watching... he likes to smell them :p

I don't understand the issue, Mad Dog. If you strike it with an unarmed strike, you will take 8d6 damage (average damage = 28 points) which will probably force a massive damage save and the character will probably die. If you want to describe the damage as an arm freezing and breaking, then do it. I probably would, but that is just the way I GM.

Its a consistency issue, Vincent. For some illogical reason, hitting it with a weapon can cause the weapon to shatter, unless of course the weapon is your fist (absolutely inconsistent).

If you hit it with a weapon, the weapon can break, but it doesnt take 8D6 damage, unless of course the weapon is a fist (absolutely inconsistent).

Does everything have to be described for you in a ruleset, or do you want room to use your own imagination and vision?

I prefer having rules layed out in a consistent manner which will avoid rules questions and arguments in the long run.

Chemicals ? They are good for you.

Mad Dog

Back