Book on animals and ecologies

We could have a book detailing common lifeforms that have established themselves on various worlds, either as domesticated livestock, pests and invasive species, sacred symbols, etc.

A chapter on "vermin", for example, giving both an overview of the type of animal (what makes a given lifeform successful as an opportunistic stowaway) and then specific examples that have been very successful and could show up nearly anywhere.

Or perhaps a breakdown by sector/region, like "Common invasive species Behind the Claw", "Livestock of the Solomani Sphere", "Infamous trophy predators of Core", "Ceremonial flora and fauna of the Aslan".

There could also be sections on how each major power/faction deals with cross-contamination of ecospheres, traces/catalogues biology, handles its crops/livestock, etc. Complete with scenarios; e.g.

"Vargr Faction A wants to undercut a rival's charisma by proving that Vargr Faction B's sacred bird actually originates on Vargr Faction A's planet";

"Solomani-Hiver political dispute over Hiver introduction of larvae-eating predator to a border world colony that spreads disease to a Solomani food animal"

"You're hired by the K'kree to destroy the last population of the rare Horse-Munching Beast of Planet Y" (alternatively, you're hired by Save The Horse-Munching Beast of Planet Y to prevent another group from messing up the local ecology).

I think this could be handled by a (lot) of weighted tables for 1/3 of a book and then 1/3 on quick what/how ecologies interact, with the rest being example descriptions to help interpret the results from the tables.

Most campaigns would not need but some would find it extremely useful.

I think this could be handled by a (lot) of weighted tables for 1/3 of a book and then 1/3 on quick what/how ecologies interact, with the rest being example descriptions to help interpret the results from the tables.

I could swear I saw a book with something like that in the LBB epoch. I skimmed all the GDW PDFs and didn't find the diagram I think I remember. May have been third party.

Supplement 11: Animal Encounters Mongoose Traveller, 1st Edition, might be worth looking at (click on the beginning of this sentence to get to the relevant Mongoose page).

I know some people won't a book of creatures and some people want a book of ecology but why can't we have both of them
I asked about this same subject early last year and everyone said 'meh'.
Yeah, I'd like a book about environments, how they would effect adventurers, and sample animals that would go in them.

That's it! p.48 of the Traveller 2300 Referee's Manual, or p.98 of the 2300CE Director's Guide.

I've been wondering for years where that was...

We could have a book detailing common lifeforms that have established themselves on various worlds, either as domesticated livestock, pests and invasive species, sacred symbols, etc.
There could also be sections on how each major power/faction deals with cross-contamination of ecospheres, traces/catalogues biology, handles its crops/livestock, etc. Complete with scenarios; e.g.
I really like the idea of a common (invasive/imported) critters of Charted Space book for several reasons:

Shared Culture: These would be parts of the PCs common heritage and vernacular. Where Americans would say, 'like a deer in the headlights,' Imperial humans would have a different phrase and a different set of metaphors that the players can call upon, even if the PCs only encountered the critters in vids.

Economic Impact: Why are these desirable or undesirable, and how can the PCs use them/why do they have to deal with them.

Worldbuilding: Different races consider different creatures desirable or pestilential. How can these be used to expand player underestanding of the different folks out there.

Back