Book on animals and ecologies

Brian

Mongoose
I know some people won't a book of creatures and some people want a book of ecology but why can't we have both of them

I would assume that a book about how to create ecosystems would include an expansion on the rules that we have in the Core Rulebook on how to create creatures.
A be(a)stiary, like in D&D, makes only sense for a closed/finite world but not in the vast diversity of the Traveller universe.

Last edited:
And now to echo the voices calling for this.
At present I use a mixture of CT LBB3 and GURPS Space 4ed.

There is an awful lot to cover - environments and ecologies from vacuum to gas giant (possibly even stars), and the many types of life from virus all the way up synthetic, not to mention alternate basic biochemistry - silicon based, carbon based, are just the start.

Today I learned that there is at least one critter on Earth that regulates its heat by regurgitating some of its stomach's contents, letting it cool a bit outside its body, and then slurping it back up. I cannot wait to feature that grotesque bit of evolution in a bit of survival adventure.

I just don't want it to be all charts. I love reading about animals in the new books . I know you can't do all 11000 world's .but I would like more than handful

This doesn't have to be 11 thousand described worlds; a cow from Earth and a cow from New G'dansk, although they look different, have the same statistics ;)
11 thousand examples are enough for me ;) But seriously - I think that many animals have been widespread throughout the Empire (dogs, cats, pigs from New G'dansk), others are similar everywhere, and some have been artificially created and forgotten ("hey let's make a new Jurassic Park, what could go wrong?")

This doesn't have to be 11 thousand described worlds; a cow from Earth and a cow from New G'dansk, although they look different, have the same statistics ;)
11 thousand examples are enough for me ;) But seriously - I think that many animals have been widespread throughout the Empire (dogs, cats, pigs from New G'dansk), others are similar everywhere, and some have been artificially created and forgotten ("hey let's make a new Jurassic Park, what could go wrong?")
"Hey, even better lets make the dinosaurs smarter. I'm sure what happened with the sharks wont happen again!":p

In Delphi, there is a planet called Wuhan. Maybe they won't sell laboratory animals to butcher shops at the market again?
If they are from a Solomani funded lab I wouldn't count on it. We really need to stop those Solomani genetic scientists. They tend to get creative when we not looking.

If they are from a Solomani funded lab I wouldn't count on it. We really need to stop those Solomani genetic scientists. They tend to get creative when we not looking.
In general, we need to stop the Solomani. They were responsible for the Long Night, they incite society, and they are constantly experimenting. I'm waiting for the Third Imperium to sort things out with the Confederation.

Sorry for reviving this thread, as I have been thinking about this quite a bit since I got my copy of the World Builder's Handbook. Also thinking about how the Max animated show Scavenger's Reign depicted the planet Vesta Minor's varied ecology, as well as the lifeforms in Starfield. The fascinating part was how the show had plants and creatures appear in one biome, and then variants of them in other biomes that might even fit different niches. (like encountering a house cat, snow leopard, and tiger as you travel around the world.). So it would be a system where you might roll up an in-depth ecology for the initial landing point based on its condition, and then moving to a different location you might just roll up what is different or a 'remix' of some of the flora and fauna already encountered.

It would be more useful for me to have a quick method to describe the environment as a whole to the players, and then generate the 2-3 plants or creatures that might be a threat or be useful in more detail. But if in the description I mention a purple orchid-looking planet, and a player wants to do a scan on it, I can generate further details about it on the fly.

A list of 1000 plants would not be very useful to me, but maybe a random table of "templates" that references random subtables would be one way to get to a unique flora fairly quickly. I don't know, I am just dropping some thoughts here.

Back