Blast Radius on FGMP-15 ?

RSherman17

Mongoose
Hello,

I am new to the forum , so I hope this is the correct way to post a new question. I've been playing Traveller since about 1981. The old school Mercenary book-4 shows FGMP-15 as using group hits like shotgun at very long range or extreme range. In Mega-Traveller the rules show a danger space of 4.5m [ Starting Penetration 34/2 ]. I just recently picked up the Mongoose Traveller 2nd Ed set, and do not see traits listed like Blast-3 etc in the Central Supply Catalogue. So I am trying to reconcile the new rules. Was this a typo ? Do I still use group hits by shotgun rule, blast radius or.....?

If anyone can point me to the right document or resource I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I think I'm going to stick w/ the blast radius of 4.5m

Thanks - Rick

I've never looked at the old books, but it may just be a case of "handled differently".

The attack itself is single-target, but FGMPs have the Radiation trait (Core Book P75), which adds some AoE unpleasantness for anyone lacking sufficient rad shielding.

Thx Garran,

I think that I am going to allow "splash damage" as seen in MT rules-set of 4.5 danger space. [ It halves the penetration/damage for every 1.5m] I can't believe that a bunch of hot fusing plasma striking doesn't explode on impact. I don't use these weapons normally anyways, they are normally reserved for very high level NPC's in my games. A bit too powerful for most normal games unless you are running a mercenary or army/marine combat campaign.

Thx -Rick.

The plasma (or fusion) beam is tight directed energy with the majority of the force on the target just as a laser beam doesn't splash. The collateral radiation is some of the energy radiating beyond the primary stream like light from a flashlight.

Reynard,

Thx for weighing in on this. It seems like they've just redefined the way the gun works in MGT2E. In MegaTraveller it seems like there is an actual blast radius defined of 4.5m It is never made clear that this is either fusion, heat, or radiation damage...etc. I'm ok with using the newer rules along w/radiation damage.

- Rick .

Let me give you a 'grunt's eye view' of firearms logic... It doesn't fully answer your question, but it does give you a 'game table solution'

If you're close enough to incoming fire to worry about the blast radius, you're WAY too Goddamn close. Furthermore you obviously didn't dig your hole deep enough. And your overhead cover could use some work.

Oh, and don't forget the FGMP's radiation damage. Because Emperor Strephon disapproves of you and sent his Purple People Beaters [because the service color of the Imperial Marines is maroon...] to correct your deficiencies.

That editorial decision might be wrong, not in the sense of radiation instead of blast, but give it a blast area as well, however small.

If plasma is gas, I tend to think of fusion as liquid, with a splash area.

In addition (as in fact ought to be the case with lasers) much of the damage would be through pumping energy in to a small area of the target over a very short period of time and effectively turning part of the target's own mass into a high velocity explosive.

Wouldn't that depend on the material hit?

If you have melted steel splashing about, that would apply, but what about human flesh and bone?

Energy, focus and speed is the key. Pretty much any material (normal molecular) would be turned into plasma and explode at supersonic velocity at the levels for practical energy weapons, although things could be different for the exotic superdense Traveller type armour materials.

Although it is also worth noting that Traveller (at least MGT) still imagines and describes laser weapons as having a cutting effect rather than vapourising which (the latter) is a more realistic military application so it certainly falls into the category it depends on what you like.

Back