Binding for Collector's Editions

Minervian

Mongoose
While I'm very excited to finally have the CE FFTD in my hands, I am somewhat disappointed by the binding for the book. Basically:

1) It's quite tough to keep open, which is an issue because this is a heavy thick book, and being a gamebook, we sometimes want to hold it with one hand open while erasing and writing stuff with the other hand on the action chart/notes.

2) it would've been great if the book could simply sit open by itself, which makes adventuring and reading a lot more convenient. Some hardcover bindings can do this, yes?

If the binding cannot be changed, was it not possible to make the book bigger since it is a CE/hardcover? My point is that if it were bigger, there'd be more "area" to grasp, more leverage space, which I think would make holding and handling it easier, one or two hands.

As it stands, I don't regret buying the CE FFTD, but I am reserving further judgment until I see the paperback, which I intend to buy also - my original plan was to buy the CE for keeps and the paperback for actual wear and use anyway.

Minervian said:
1) It's quite tough to keep open, which is an issue because this is a heavy thick book, and being a gamebook, we sometimes want to hold it with one hand open while erasing and writing stuff with the other hand on the action chart/notes.
Same for me. I sent the book back for this and other issues.
A book can't be too tough to open otherwise it's bad designed. So I hope this is only a defective copy.

Minervian said:
2) it would've been great if the book could simply sit open by itself, which makes adventuring and reading a lot more convenient. Some hardcover bindings can do this, yes?
They said me that this book can't lay flat like larger hardbook, so it's impossibile. However it's true that the book should be a little larger because many images were cutted on the border (well nothing important, but avoidable with a bit of care) and some word reach the very end of the pages without respect editorial conventions.

Minervian said:
ed, was it not possible to make the book bigger since it is a CE/hardcover? My point is that if it were bigger, there'd be more "area" to grasp, more leverage space, which I think would make holding and handling it easier, one or two hands.

Minervian said:
As it stands, I don't regret buying the CE FFTD, but I am reserving further judgment until I see the paperback, which I intend to buy also - my original plan was to buy the CE for keeps and the paperback for actual wear and use anyway.
I hope mine and yours copy are defective because otherwise they should have noticed that the book was faulty by design. Changing now making all the book of different size will ruin all the collection. Also they'll have to change all the faulty books.

Yup, on hindsight, I think the size should not be changed, but I sincerely wish that later editions will have an alternative binding which is more comfortable to hold.

I wish to state that I started this topic not to flame or blame Mongoose, to whom I am still grateful for their effort to republish LW. I just want to help make the series a great one.

Minervian said:
Yup, on hindsight, I think the size should not be changed, but I sincerely wish that later editions will have an alternative binding which is more comfortable to hold.

I wish to state that I started this topic not to flame or blame Mongoose, to whom I am still grateful for their effort to republish LW. I just want to help make the series a great one.

That's also what I want. I mailed them to give my feedback, but i was also disappointed for my copy or for the bad design of my copy because I wanted a great edition for the new edition of LW.
Never blamed them and I'll never do as long as they keep change the faulty books with flawless and perfect designed ones.

Well I was a little disturbed that the inner binding protruded out at both ends of the spine. Surely the cover should cover the ends of the binding to protect it.

It could have been a lot worse 'though. Why, I once got three books free because the bokshop couldn't sell them. Why? Well two of them didn't have covers at all and one had the cover put on upside down and back to front.

So it could have been much worse.

I have the same problem as Balgin, in that I can see the inner binding(which has only ever happened before with very old books I have abused too much ^_^; ). I also agree that the book is somewhat tough to open. I'm a bit too lazy to send mine back, but hopefully these issues can be addressed for future releases.

I was also a bit concerned that some of the text and especially the illustrations went right up to the edge of the page.

Great work on the content, though!

I received my copy of FFTD today, but wanted to post some reservations on the binding. It looks like the "core" of the book was glued slightly off-kilter to the hardcover shell, with the result being that some of the inner spine is poking up over the edge, along with a good bit of the page core on one of the edges.

Also, I think Mongoose needs to seriously look into shipping these books in boxes. The padded envelope I received was pretty dinged up, although luckily the book itself was intact and undamaged.

Tabris said:
I received my copy of FFTD today, but wanted to post some reservations on the binding. It looks like the "core" of the book was glued slightly off-kilter to the hardcover shell, with the result being that some of the inner spine is poking up over the edge, along with a good bit of the page core on one of the edges.
They have to check better how they bind the book, it's an important thing for a book.
My book was ruined by that because I cant read it without ruining it.
Obviously I sent it back and I'll send it back until I got a flawless copy.

Tabris said:
Also, I think Mongoose needs to seriously look into shipping these books in boxes. The padded envelope I received was pretty dinged up, although luckily the book itself was intact and undamaged.
I already suggested this to them and I hope they'll change their way of sending book because is inadeguate for this kind of book and unprofessional.

FailedSpotCheck said:
When I get mine, will I have to "crack" it open to read it? I just dread it making that horrible sound just to open it! :cry:
Mine made an unpleasant sound. Relly sad.

maybe it is some art of copy protection

so you cannot scan and release a pdf from this book :wink:

perhaps i should stick last page with combat rules summery

else i will loose this page, i guess

I had 2 pages come out of my book today ;_(

There weren't major pages, just the random number chart and an advertisement from the back of the book, but still... it hurts. When I got my book, the final pages were (and still are) showing the spine and would open fully... now a page has fallen ;(

Crackerjack said:
I had 2 pages come out of my book today ;_(

There weren't major pages, just the random number chart and an advertisement from the back of the book, but still... it hurts. When I got my book, the final pages were (and still are) showing the spine and would open fully... now a page has fallen ;(

Happenend to mine too, but the first 2 ones (well they were still partially attached to the book but they wouldn't have last too much).
My suggestion is to send the book back to get a proper copy, until you got a flawless one. It's your right.

When I was at GenCon, I specifically passed on picking up the hardcov er Collector's edition because the binding was so poor. I really hope that the 2nd printings or other future releases are better. I'll pick those up for sure!

....................................Omote
FPQ

The binding on mine was horrible. I had pages falling out within minutes of opening it!

Overall, I was very happy with the content of the book, but extremely disappointed with the binding and presentation. I had hoped, with this being a hardback edition of the book, for this to be a true hardback with a dust cover and larger size.

For example, I have two copies of each of the Harry Potter books - a paper back and a hardbound (well, only hardbound of book 7 for now.) For long term durability, the hardbound books are a much greater value to me, and I have the paper back version for their smaller, more portable qualities.

I was very disappointed to find out that the hardbound collector's edition amounted to nothing more than a paperback version of the book with a hard cover.

The book is very difficult to read. The small size coupled with the inflexible cover combine to create a "worst of both worlds" situation.

So, unless the binding issues are fixed, (and hopefully the size and style of binding modified to be consistent with other hardbound books), I will probably be sticking with the paperback editions. At 25 US dollars a book, I don't think the value is there in the current hardbound format.

I suggest to resend the book back until you get a flawless copy. If it's a defective one then you'll get a good one, otherwise if it's a design issue they have to change it to avoid all the customers to send their book back.

MIK0 said:
I suggest to resend the book back until you get a flawless copy. If it's a defective one then you'll get a good one, otherwise if it's a design issue they have to change it to avoid all the customers to send their book back.

Actually I'm not sure whether you're entitled to a refund just because a book's binding is 'a bit stiff'. Pages falling out, binding tearing: yeah. But if the book's just a bit stiff but otherwise fine then it's still perfectly usable and I don't think you'd be protected by consumer legislation. Though Mongoose seem pretty happy to give refunds for the sake of customer goodwill.

EvilRedEye said:
MIK0 said:

Actually I'm not sure whether you're entitled to a refund just because a book's binding is 'a bit stiff'. Pages falling out, binding tearing: yeah. But if the book's just a bit stiff but otherwise fine then it's still perfectly usable and I don't think you'd be protected by consumer legislation. Though Mongoose seem pretty happy to give refunds for the sake of customer goodwill.

Well my book almost lost 2 pages (at the begin) but if I had to wait until the book is ripped apart I won't be protected. Also if is clear that I won't be able to read the book more than once I think that the copy is defective because a book (a good one) should be readable many and many times without damages (if read in a good manner obviously). If the book is defective or bad designed is not my concern, until the copy doesn't reach a minimum standard of quality It's right to get refunded. I have no problem if Mongoose keep refund or resend the book if it's not of good quality and obviously I get no benefit resending them the book because I have to wait for something I already have paid for (and also the cost of sending back the book).
I always hope that the book I got was faulty but If it's like this by design it's simply not worth buying and the lack of description of the many issues on the book order page (to avoid people ordering it knowing them) its not good.
I hope it is a problem with the production, but a customer hadn't to pay for these issues and I'm not the only one with that problem. They simply had to recheck the production and the design (with more thinked detail), send good copy to the one has ordered that and avoid the same problem with the other books. I see no other way.

Indeed the binding of the book is horrible. A good hardback book should lay opened on the table when you read it without needing your hands. For a book as expensive as this one, I really didn't expect that.

My own copy is not defective but has some glitches. For example on two pages (I didn't find more at the moment), the last line is a little cut at the bottom (but it is still readable). Also, the book is not symmetrical, and the right margin of the right page is always a little sorter at the top of the page than at the bottom.

Back