Biggest Pain to put together

dag'karlove

Mongoose
What, for you all, was the biggest pain to put together? For me it was a tie between the shadow scout and the Poseidon. The Poseidon because it had soooo much flash and the peices were warped and was in general just a poor casting. The warping made the Rotating section not want to spin so lots of filing and dremmel work was required. The shadow scout because of all the little tendrils having to be put on individualy. And there not being enough room on there for the tendrils and the base.

Sharlin, because it was the first mini I ever put together :lol:
Spent an entire evening building just one.

Since then - nothing really. I even did some Omegas with really-rotating rotating sections.
Oh actually, the Triumviron was quite tricky. A lot of bending required to make the arms fit together right!

The liner-that-became-a-mothership needed a lot of filing to get the parts to fit. Getting the G'Quan's 'spoilers' to fit are a pain, too.

The posseidon was a bit tricky but not that big a deal (just needed a bit of green stuffing).

The Victory wasnt a great fit at the back but again not that bad.

The lower fins on Sharlins and Tigaras/Leshaths Ive always found a bit of a pain.

But the crown 2 are still, for me:

The Shadow Scout.... so.... many... TENDRILS And theyre all RIGHT next to each other, fiddliest little bugger I've ever had to deal with, but it looks great so I forgive it ;)

The antenae/lasers/whatever on the front of the Primus. Oh dear GOD. The chap at AoG who came up with that needs to be shot :p Is a hole or a slot to stick them in really so much to ask? In the end I like most people just left them off....

Octurion, took ages to build that. So much metal I was using putty to strengthen all the joints and fill gaps, and it took a solid day for each join to dry. It was lying about in various stages of assembly for days.

Converted Adira, now that too a while to put together.

Octurions where the slots in the side hulls weren't there any more due to poor casting, so had to cut them again myself, which was a long job with a penknife.

Lord David the Denied said:
Octurion, took ages to build that. So much metal I was using putty to strengthen all the joints and fill gaps, and it took a solid day for each join to dry. It was lying about in various stages of assembly for days.

Still, once assembled, it rocks. Some minis are just worth the trouble. I love mine dearly... :wink:

I suppose I've been lucky or just don't buy many of the hard models. I have a good bit of experience building and don't mind the work some of them take for converting (my Poseidon is taking the longest, but I haven't touched it in a year or so.)

I'd say the ships with fins are the more difficult. Hermes fins don't want to stay on at all - bad design. trying to get the bottom fins on the victory to stay at the proper angle while the glue is setting is a chore. I imagine just about any model like that would be, which would include ships like Sharlins, maybe some vorlons but I've never seen one dissassembled. I know the Shadow Scout is notoritous for causing swear words. a 14 part model for a Raid ship? no wonder people want counters... :lol:

Chern

My Aviokis, even more than my Shadow Souts. Maybe I just got too many of them...

A friend of mine is currently trying to assembly his Adira, and it looks like it will take him a while longer...

Up until recently the Hyperion was the worst I'd found, purely because of all the excess metal I had to clear off. Now that I have a Psi Corps mothership though, that's looking to be problematic. The centre and rear hulls won't fit together properly unless I space them about 3-4mm apart and then fill in the gap with plenty of putty.

Aviokis - I ended up pinning all the connecting bits as well which help a bit as pieces then snapped together a bit at least. Trying to get the main piece centered however took some doing, and didn't always work.

Back