Big axe!

Bewildered Badger

Banded Mongoose
One thing that seems to be missing from the weapons table is a really big, two handed Conan the Barbarian style axe. This would not be such a problem if two of the miniatures ( the Telchos Amazon and one of the Drakkarrim) did not carry such a weapon. I've been trying to develop rules and this is what I've come up with,

A two handed axe counts as a two handed weapon. It is not a racial weapon. For all intents and and purposes it is treated as a Drodarin war axe except that, due to its inferior construction it costs 5gp more, and is 2lb heavier. In addition, as it is not quite as well ballanced as the Dwarven weapon it slows its owner down slightly.The users Initiative counts as being two points lower than it would otherwise be as long as he is using it in combat.

Let me know what you think.

I would suggest you use the standard ogl interpretaion and give the 2 handed chopper 1d12 damage dice. While this is higher than drodarin, the dwarves can weild drodarin axes in one hand, while a 2h axe is 2h weilding for all.

if you want to make the axe weight count during combact I suggest wheter giving a malus to initiative, make it impossible to use a complete attack with it...

I concur with the guest above. Go with the standard 2-hnd axe from ogl. If you take a moment to think about it, the Drodarin Axe is alot like the Dwarven axe from the standard DnD d20 so just import the 2-hnd axe from d20 as a melee weapon that denies the use of a shield for obvious reasons. An axe that all can use and all should be well.

O.K., that's fair enough. It's just that I haven't downloaded that part of the OGL rules yet (it's on my "to-do list") so I didn't know if there were rules for such a weapon available. :oops:

But are there any rules for that Kai Lords ludicrously over-sized Warhammer?

According to the LW Newsletters, the Toran Hammer is used to counter attacks by enemy cavalry. My suggestion would be to give an AC bonus in the round that the cavalry charges.

-GB

I haven't seen any thing, but that means little. If I had to make a decision on the fly, I would probably equate that oversized hammer to a greatclub, asthetics being the principle difference. As for using that particular design of hammer against calvary charges, I cannot speak to Lone Wolf cannon, but from a mere practicality standpoint, that would seem unlikely. The standard weapon for breaking a calvary charge would have been the longspear with the but end of the spear being place in the ground and braced by the spearmen's foot. Though I have been told that the Scottish Claymore (Braveheart's sword) was also used to stop Calvary charges. But this is just my shaky understanding of weapon development through the middle ages. As I said, I cannot speak to the use of such a hammer in accordance to Lone Wolf doctrine, which is probably what we all here are more concernced with.

As the hammer (both in picture and model) has a big spike at the top, perhaps it could be used like a spear as well? It would be too heavy for throwing, I'd imagine, but it could be set against a charge.

I was getting a bec de corbin impression rather than a hulking sledge hammer of the brick on a stick variety from what you guys have written above. And that picture (and that miniature) are both a tad rediculous don't you think? Try swinging something that end heavy and the haft would eventualy snap under the pressure.

And as for a two handed axe I'd go with the regular d12 (20x3) two handed axe from the d20 PHB & SRD myself.

Bewildered Badger said:
O.K., that's fair enough. It's just that I haven't downloaded that part of the OGL rules yet (it's on my "to-do list") so I didn't know if there were rules for such a weapon available. :oops:

But are there any rules for that Kai Lords ludicrously over-sized Warhammer?

You could make it a large-sized Warhammer (which has a higher damage rating than a normal Medium sized one)

Back