Best Rules for playing with miniatures and battlemap

gautxoriak

Mongoose
Hello:

First of all, I would like to apologize because maybe my english is not good enough to explain what I am looking for.

I like Legend, RQ, BRP and all D100 system... But I have been playing for too many years D&D, and My players and I can´t already play without miniatures and a battlemap (squares or hex). And We need rules that support that kind of game. So we need movement rules, reach rules... based on squares (or metres).

I have read some kind of house rules, and I am undestood there are 2 new improvement rules that support that: Historia Rodentia and RQ6. If someone has read or has been testing these rules, which are the best? (For players that are used to play D&D 3.5)

- Historia Rodentia: I don´t know anything about them
- RQ6: there is and appendix to play with miniatures.
- Legend: I have read someone is playing with the core rules buy I think they are not very good for this purpose.
- House rules: Any suggestion?

Thank you very much

It's easy. Decide what scale your squares are. One meter is good in this instance. You already have speed from the rule book. Make reach for weapons appropriate to the square scale. Touch and short reach allow combat into an adjacent square, medium reaches an additional square, long reaches one more square etc.

strega said:
It's easy. Decide what scale your squares are. One meter is good in this instance. You already have speed from the rule book. Make reach for weapons appropriate to the square scale. Touch and short reach allow combat into an adjacent square, medium reaches an additional square, long reaches one more square etc.
+1. That's how our group does it. It's simple and it works. Just make sure you use the closing and disengaging rules as written and you won't have any problems. Personally, I think hexes are better for overland travel and squares for personal combat, but each to their own.

We use 1 meter and 2 meter hexes based on the size of the event. For instance 1 meter in buildings or 2 meter in a large field. If you use 2 meters and have a character that only gets 5m movement, we tend to round movement up to 6 meters since everything else in the game is rounded up.

We are used to the 1,5m per square/hex that was used in the BRP based swedish RPG we started with so we are sticking to that.
But I have been know to change the scales as mentioned by others depending on the situation.
For example if there is a large area (usually outdoors) we use different scale. I think the biggest scale we have used was 20 ft (6m) squares and once they moved closer we turned the scale back to normal just by expanding each square to 4 squares and they got to choose which one to take within their overland square.

Back