Benefits: Multiple ships from different careers

Shadowblayde99

Banded Mongoose
Hello

One of my players started out in the Free Trader career and rolled really well on the benefits getting 75% of a free trader ship. He then joined the Scouts and rolled a scout ship on his benefit roll.

Not really useful to have two ships but he shouldn't have millions of credits in his bank.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Thanks.

Hello

One of my players started out in the Free Trader career and rolled really well on the benefits getting 75% of a free trader ship. He then joined the Scouts and rolled a scout ship on his benefit roll.

Not really useful to have two ships but he shouldn't have millions of credits in his bank.

The IISS recalls the detached duty scout ship back to regular duty. They are only issued on loan to scouts that leave active service.

Depends on how benevolent you want to be, but I would let the player decide which to keep and give the character 1 Ship Share and/or 1 Contact for each benefit roll lost.

AndrewW:"The IISS recalls the detached duty scout ship back to regular duty. They are only issued on loan to scouts that leave active service."

Well that's one way to just gank a benefit from the new player. How about loading the the Free trader with some transport stock "from the scouts because of the recall for the ship" ad hawk contract or upgrading the free trader to a jump 2 type ship. Have them setup a small company (owns 25% in the free trader) for the ships and automate a small mining with the scout that helps pay the the last 25% of the free trader? you can also use the age charts for ship for the last 25% if they want a "free and clear". There was something in MG2nd for multiple ships where they get a stipend a month from their other ships are on loan out and being used. Have fun...

Well, first off the language for getting a free trader is vague, I think intentionally. The sentence:
'Alternatively, you may select a far trader (page 196) instead.' follows after the statement about getting a ship free and clear, but it doesn't actual say that getting a far trader requires a free and clear free trader (or 4 rolls). It could just mean that you could chose a far trader instead of a free trader even with just one roll. A lawyer could argue it both ways - especially since there is an 'Alternatively...' in the Ship's Boat benefit . (Same goes for nobles and yacht /safari ships).

What was the point of this non-sequitur? Basically, yeah at least make it a far trader, and either make it free and clear (with an extra quirk) or throw in some 'Ship Shares, aka MCr' worth of upgrades to customize the ship. Like turrets, with or without weapons. Or upgraded sensors that would be of use as a scout vessel. A far trader with an empty double turret and military grade sensors is essentially a slower-but-bigger scout ship, or perhaps a scout auxiliary.

Yup, Definitely ask the player which ship they want and then figure out some appropriate benefits to the one they are keeping based on the one they are giving up. You do the same thing whenever multiple players in the group end up with ships. You figure out which ship the group wants and you reward the player turning theirs in with something. Partial ownership of the ship the crew is keeping or upgrades for it. Whatever makes sense.

Depends on intent: the game's, the author's, the dungeon master's, and the player's.

The game's probably is that the party only has one form of owned interstellar locomotion.

The author's probably of the difficulty (or ease) of achieving this.

The rules state that the group ca only have one ship at the beginning of play. Between the choices of a Scout, Free Trader or Far Trader, it is a no brainer to take the Far Trader unless the game takes place entirely in a part of space with Jump-1 mains everywhere or it has so many quirks that it is unflyable. RAW would have the player lose the scout ship (it was always ISS property, NOT the character's anyway) or trade in each 25% ownership of the trade ship for a Cr. 25,000 pension if he really wanted the scout ship. I personally would just let the player reroll the Scout benefit to get something else instead.

I wouldn't change anything. Let the character keep both - its a RP or game opportunity to see how they can afford to keep 2 running, if they would want to, and if not, how to offload one of them.

The IISS recalls the detached duty scout ship back to regular duty. They are only issued on loan to scouts that leave active service.
It is correct that the Imperial Interstellar Scout Service(IISS) just lends out Scout ships that are no longer or at least currently not used. But since the player rolled a Scout ship the IISS was willing to lend the ship to him/her. It is a little bit hard to explain why the IISS should suddenly change its mind. But yes, when it comes to which ship to remove, the Scout ship would be the easier choice.
I would seek the communication with the player(s) about this. Maybe the Scout-player feels generous and lets the IISS give his ship to somebody else. I would at least give some compensation, e.g. ship share(s) or Traveller Aid Society(TAS) membership, if I take away a ship from a player.
If you decide to keep both ships you should come up with something why one, most likely the Scout ship, cannot be used at that time. Maybe it has to be rescued, is in a very bad state and/or needs a longer repair. Having a completely operational ship just sitting somewhere and eating up credits seems kind of strange to me.
For the next time I would suggest to have a solution for this kind of problem ready before it occurs, e.g. you could say that you only allow one ship and any rolls that come up with another ship have to re-rolled. It is easier for players to accept things if they know upfront how certain situations/problem are handled.

Last edited:
Perhaps the IISS is willing to sponsor the last 25% of a different ship and then they can lend the scout ship you would have gotten to someone else :)

Exchange it for a smallcraft that the Scout Service uses.

That could be free and clear, of all obligations, financial or otherwise.

Back