Behind the Claw - Now in Stock!

Local game store ordered the book Monday and arrived Thursday! Both maps were there. The clerk at the store was awed when I examined both the was impressed with the artwork in the book. New reading material Starting tomorrow along with any new ideas for gaming.

Thank you, Mongoose.

Sprite said:
Has the book arrived in Germany already? I pre-ordered it and it hasn't even arrived yet. I am used to long delivery times from the UK, though, and 4-6 weeks aren't that unusual.

I still haven't received my Pre-Order and I got no answer on an e-mail from 2 weeks ago. I wrote a new mail today. In case my e-mails don't arrive, I post here, too.

Hey there,

Just to let you know, your last email has been received (not sure what happened to the last one) and we will be in touch tomorrow - if you can quickly confirm your postal address by email, that will speed things up.

MongooseMatt said:
Gimgamgoo said:
Has anyone that pre-ordered Behind the Claw with the Element Class Cruisers kickstarter had their copy yet? Still not had mine in the uk. I emailed Matt and he sent the drivethru code for my pdf a few weeks ago, but I don't know if the hardcopies have been posted out yet.

We have just been waiting for more stock, we are told will arrive today. Should be with you by the weekend!

Hi,

Did this stock arrive?
I've been patient as I know things have been a tad random with the pandemic.

Gimgamgoo said:
Did this stock arrive?
I've been patient as I know things have been a tad random with the pandemic.

You should have seen your copy by now - drop me a line at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com and we will see what has happened!

Just a big thank you Matt. The book arrived mid week and it is gorgeous. Two great maps that match the others I own as well.
Many thanks for continuing to produce pieces of work like this.

I'd just like to say that this book surpassed expectations. It's a thing of beauty and a pleasure just to read for reading's sake.
I'm just over halfway through reading it and the quality in terms of both production and content is superb.
It really brings the setting alive. Perfect for inspiring referees to come up with games that do justice to the backdrop it provides. Which is exactly what I'm currently busy trying to do. :)

Big congrats to the whole team behind it.

The only thing I might change is to maybe drop a handful of the ships and vehicles in favour of maps and other details of a few important locales. A few important starports, cities, facilities and the like would have made it perfect.

Thanks!

Thank you for your kind words, we will bear them in mind. You will be pleased to know that we have two more sector books already in the works - the Solomani Front will appear before the end of the year and the Spinward Extents early-ish next year!

MongooseMatt said:
Thank you for your kind words, we will bear them in mind. You will be pleased to know that we have two more sector books already in the works - the Solomani Front will appear before the end of the year and the Spinward Extents early-ish next year!

Interesting! What sectors does the Spinward Extents cover?

MongooseMatt said:
The Beyond and Vanguard Reaches.

That's precisely what I was guessing!

Very interesting. They're not regions that have received much, if any, official coverage in the past, right?

But just from a meander around travellermap I get the feeling this will make *extremely* interesting reading!
I'll probably buy it just to read it, even if my players never actually make it over there! =D

TheMachine said:
MongooseMatt said:

Very interesting. They're not regions that have received much, if any, official coverage in the past, right?

But just from a meander around travellermap I get the feeling this will make *extremely* interesting reading!
I'll probably buy it just to read it, even if my players never actually make it over there! =D

It will likely look a bit different from what's on travellermap now. I've been working on de-nazifying it, among other things, and making it look more like the '1991 updates' than the the 1981 Paranoia Press versions.

Geir said:
TheMachine said:
MongooseMatt said:

It will likely look a bit different from what's on travellermap now. I've been working on de-nazifying it, among other things, and making it look more like the '1991 updates' than the the 1981 Paranoia Press versions.

I've just clocked your extensive thread on here detailing your efforts writing up these sectors.
So presumably Matt got in touch and Mongoose are publishing your work? Presumably using their currently excellent production values. Exciting.

Can't wait to see the finished book. From a very quick skim of some of your blogposts, I'm sure it will be a match for Behind the Claw. Looking forward to it.

TheMachine said:
I'd just like to say that this book surpassed expectations. It's a thing of beauty and a pleasure just to read for reading's sake.

You convinced me to buy it. :) I was undecided as it will probably be a while before I get to run a campaign again, but sounds like it would be good to have on the shelf anyway.

Dan.

ochd said:
TheMachine said:

You convinced me to buy it. :) I was undecided as it will probably be a while before I get to run a campaign again, but sounds like it would be good to have on the shelf anyway.

Dan.

Fabulous. Matt, do I get a commission? :lol:

Seriously though, do. You'll read it for pleasure, then be itching to start up a game once you're done. Which will take a while. :)

TheMachine said:
I'm currently reading Spinward Marches (Mongoose, 1st Edition) and would like to know more about Behind The Claw, especially:-
* How it differs to Spinward Marches
* How much info is given about the subsectors?
* Is it a standard Mongoose hardback? They tend to be quite robust.

IanBruntlett said:
I'm currently reading Spinward Marches (Mongoose, 1st Edition) and would like to know more about Behind The Claw, especially:-
* How it differs to Spinward Marches
* How much info is given about the subsectors?
* Is it a standard Mongoose hardback? They tend to be quite robust.
It is a hefty hardcover with nearly 300 pages and two poster-sized maps. So its both the Spinward Marches and the Deneb Sectors.

Superficially, it is a tweaked book covering the 1st Edition material for the Spinward Marches and Deneb books in about the same level of detail, even down to the same articles covering the same worlds in the case of the Spinward Marches - since the author is the same I'm sure he's not complaining about plagiarizing himself. The Deneb material is all re-written or at least reorganized. There are a few more worlds, but not many. 2-5 per subsector total in the Spinward Marches half, 2-7 per in the Deneb half.

What the 2nd edition edition brings that's new - or different from the Spinward Marches book at least - besides lots of nice artwork, is alien races (17 x one column write-ups, enough to create an alien Traveller of the race), equipment (1 gun, 2 x suits w/ accessories, though one is for dolphins, and some TL16 stuff from Vincennes), 5 x vehicles, 18 x ships, and 7 x animals (though two of those should really be races in my opinion).

I think it's worth buying, but I might not be the best person to ask about that, since I'm OCD on buying Traveller material - I even bought a second-hand Supplement 3 (the original Spinward Marches) a few years back, because I was still pissed that someone walked off with my original copy back in college.

Back