Barrage suggestion

Annatar Giftbringer

Emperor Mongoose
Greetings.

Couldn't sleep last night. Mind started wandering. Among other things, thought of traveller, and spaceship combat.

I may have an idea how to handle large-scale spaceship combat, from missile swarms of dozens of missiles up to barrages of hundreds of particle bays (yeah, infinitely scalable combat rules!)

This idea still needs some (maybe a lot) tweaking, and I haven't really
playtested it thoroughly (I did eventually fall asleep). It has some similarities to the old barrage rules, but unlike them I tried to use the existing space combat rules as much as possible, just like the fantastic large-scale combat from mercenary.

The idea, in short, is to treat a barrage like a single attack, with multipliers.

Declare the attack, like normal. Every weapon in a single barrage needs to be identical, down to the number of guns per turret (since they combine for damage these days).

Roll to hit, applying the usual modifiers (crew gunnery skill, fire control, aid from pilot, laser to-hit bonus...). A single 2D roll is made for the entire barrage, it's still treated as one attack.

If successful, roll for damage. It's still treated as a single attack from a single turret/bay. Subtract armour as usual.

Next, multiply damage with number of turrets in the barrage, and apply to the target.

For missiles, roll once for the entire barrage, same as with regular turrets. This roll is the guidance roll for every missile in the attack.

Point defense:

using sand against a laser attack:
Follow the above steps, but add another step before applying damage. Roll once for point defense as per the standard rules for one sand turret defending against a single laser turret.

Multiply the result with the number if sand turrets. Subtract this number from damage total above. Apply remaining damage to the target.

Missile defense: A swarm of missiles are treated as individual attacks, and not added together like other weapons, right?

Still, look at the swarm as a single attack, declare how many turrets are used to defend, and roll point defends once. Multiply with number of defensive turrets, and subtract this many missiles from the swarm. Are there missiles left? Apply the standard DM for multiple point defense attacks and roll again, and again and again until there are no missiles left or all attacks miss time and time again...

Example:
Imagine two mercenary cruisers. They are parked at medium distance from each other, And are both armed with the following:

3x triple beam laser turrets
2x triple sandcaster turrets
3x triple missile turrets

Their average crew gunnery skill is 2, and both have armour 4.

A fires lasers against B. Skill 2 + 2D + 4 (beam lasers to-hit bonus). A rolls 2, 5. 2+2+5+4 = 13. A hit, with effect 5.

Roll for damage, triple beam means 1D + 2, plus effect (5). A 6 is rolled. 6+2+5 = 13.

Subtract armour: 13-4 = 9

Multiply with number of turrets in the barrage (3) for a total of 27 damage.

But wait! B reacts by firing sand! Skill 2 + 2D (4, 4) = 10, success with effect 2.

Roll for sand, 1D+2 (triple turrets) + effect. A 2 is rolled. 2+2+2 = 6. B fired sand with both turrets for a total damage reduction of 12.

Final damage: 27-12 = 15.

Another situation, B has 12 incoming missiles and defends with all 3 laser turrets. Point defense roll 3, 6 + skill 2 = 11, success! Remove 3 missiles from the swarm.

Roll again for point defense, with -1DM. 3, 4 + skill 2 = 9. Success again, remove an additional 3 missiles.

Once more, but this time the roll is 1, 2. Result 5, not enough...

Sure, between two mercenary cruisers the attacks could be rolled individually, but the same concept works when, say, an Azhanti high lightning fires all its 240 triple beam lasers upon a sister ship. Roll for damage (1D+2), subtract target armour (4) and multiply with 240.

The sister ship defends with sand,
Reducing the incoming damage with 1D+2 x 180.

The system needs some more work, but perhaps something can be made based upon this? I saw an idea about inflicting a critical hit with every 10% hull damage, that's easy to include here. Missile defense might need some more tweaking, not sure yet...

Anyways, that's my idea. Feel free to pick it apart and shoot it down :)

And no, I don't mean that I think barrage combat should be a part of the core rules.
Yes, I'm aware this might not be the perfect place to post the above.
I just wanted to get it written down while I had it fresh in my mind.
And finally, yes it might've been better to wait for high guard and see what's in it.

The only major issue I can see with your system is when you MISS, then EVERYTHING misses.

The old Barrage rules worked on percentages, so you never fired 1000 Ship Defense Lasers and missed every single incoming missile. You at least got a few of them. Under your system, if you miss your To Hit roll, then everything misses completely.

While that might work for Attack Weapons, it doesn't make sense for Point Defense; where you should be able to at least get a few of the missiles.

Yes, it is possible for a thousand gunners to all miss with my system. That's embarrassing. However, according to this thread it is now possible to keep rolling for point defense even after missing, but the cumulative -1 keeps stacking:

msprange said:
Just a quickie - have changed things so you can carry on blasting away even if you miss, but that modifier continues to grow...

Also, from the same thread:

msprange said:
I was going to disagree with all this, citing that the spread on lasers is going to be too narrow to make much of a difference. But you have to figure that is probably adjustable (point defence mode?).

So, you chaps have convinced me!

We are going to go with DM+1 on double laser turrets and DM+2 on triple. And you cannot mix pulse and beam to get the bonus.

This balances nicely with normal attacks, as I am going to stand by my guns (sorry) on the one weapon per turn rule for mixed turrets, giving a clear choice between power and utility. Your one turret scout can be pretty nifty with a triple laser turret, but it will miss out on the punch of missiles and the defence against lasers.

So I'm not sure there's really a problem? A trained warship crew with triple turrets should hit at least a couple of times before missiles sneak through the defenses.

But perhaps it's still too harsh? One possibility is to do something kinda like the old barrage (numbers just examples)

Point defense roll
Hit: remove as many missiles as there are laser turrets defending
Miss (-1 effect): remove half the number of missiles
Miss (effect -2 to-5): remove 25% missiles.
Miss (-6 or worse): go home, you're drunk!

Alternately, to show how much more effective massed point-defense is compared to single turrets taking potshots, we could lower the target toll to 6+ and/or allow fire control programs to work defensively.

On the other hand, we don't want point defense becoming too powerful either...

Annatar Giftbringer said:
Miss (-6 or worse): go home, you're drunk!

Captain"Security!!!! Get down to the gunnery deck and shoot that cross eyed Nerf Herder."

I like the idea of a gun crews skill playing into the mix. I'd suggest a compromise. PD takes out one missile per weapon available to fire...modified by the effect of an attack roll.

taking out the entire swarm is possible even if there are more missiles than guns to shoot them..but if you have fewer guns than missiles, and he can usually only take out as many missiles as he has guns, it makes the player sweat and hope his gunners are on the ball ( he rolls well)

A good day for the gunners ( good roll) allows him to take down more missiles, and maybe save one heck of a repair bill. It would also make experienced gun crews a much sought after commodity for defense as well attack...

Own Goal!

The Captain watches in disbelief as the launched torpedo makes a slow graceful one hundred and eighty degree curve and locks onto it's former host.

Back