Bandit Class - pros and cons

Azgulor

Banded Mongoose
As I understand it, there was a Bandit class for the Conan RPG in one of the Signs & Portents. Any opinions on the class? Which issue was it in?

Thanks,

Azgulor

Azgulor said:
As I understand it, there was a Bandit class for the Conan RPG in one of the Signs & Portents. Any opinions on the class? Which issue was it in?

Thanks,

Azgulor

There is a thread on this forum containing the Bandit class entry: it is essentially a land-Pirate.

Without having used it I'd say, it's nothing special or essential. Bandits can be build using the standard classes (Thief, Borderer and Soldier for civilised regions - maybe even an exiled Noble, and Nomads and Barbarians for bandits from wilder lands) - this method has the advantage to give the characters some background (e.g. deserted soldier) through his class.

I wrote the bandit class; you can find it in the link in my sig. I also wrote the Wilds of Hyboria Encounter Tables in S&P #19 (also in my linked GM's Guide thread).

You can direct any questions about my articles to me here or by PM, though I only check this board sporadically these days (been in a galaxy far, far away playing Star Wars d20, lol).

i think a borderer-thief choosing the skirmisher combat style would make a superb bandit. levels in barbarian, or the forest runner prestige class could also add to the flavour.

optional rules for borderer abilities like guide and heroic sacrifice would be good. guide could still work for the bandit, but not heroic sacrifice.

Iron_Chef said:
I wrote the bandit class; you can find it in the link in my sig. I also wrote the Wilds of Hyboria Encounter Tables in S&P #19 (also in my linked GM's Guide thread).

You can direct any questions about my articles to me here or by PM, though I only check this board sporadically these days (been in a galaxy far, far away playing Star Wars d20, lol).

Thank you very much for the reply and the link. The Bandit class looks very interesting, plus all of the other Conan goodness in that thread!

Thanks again,

Azgulor

I have a player running a bandit based off the S&P artical and he has really enjoyed it. His character can hold his own in a fight but can also back stab like a thief, kinda like a jack of all trades, master of none.

Uncle Fuzz said:
I have a player running a bandit based off the S&P artical and he has really enjoyed it. His character can hold his own in a fight but can also back stab like a thief, kinda like a jack of all trades, master of none.

That's great to know (and a huge compliment to me). So there have been no balance or other problems with my class at all in your game? Would the player play this class again? Have you used any as NPCs against the party? I suppose many would have a level or two of Soldier (possibly Noble or Thief) before being "forced" to make their own way in the world...

I always thought the many myriad bandits in the Conan pastiches (and original REH tales) were among the most fun and colorful supporting characters in fantasy literature: Karela The Red Hawk, Hordo, etc.

I haven't started my campaign in earnest, and at first read the Bandit class seems fine except for a few things that worry me. I know this is all [iway[/i] after the fact since it's already been printed, but please bear with me. For example:

Bandit Class description said:

The bandit gains aditional benefits as his favoured terrain bonuses increase. If he has a favoured terrain bonus of at least +2 for the terrain he is in, he gains a +10 feet circumstance bonus to his movement.

If he has a favoured terrain bonus of at least +3 for the terrain he is in, he may use the Hide skill even if the terrain does not usually grant cover or concealment. If he has a favoured terrain of at least +4 for the terrain he is in, his movement bonus within that terrain is increased by +20 feet. If he has a favoured terrain bonus of at least +5 for the terrain he is in, he can use the Hide skill while being observed.

That give a Bandit +30 movement in his favoured terrain by level 12, but by that level he'll have 4 types of favored terrain. Even if the movement bonuses aren't intended to stack, +20 is still incredibly fast and simply taking Fleet of Foot can bring this back to a +30.

The Bandit Styles seem overly versitile and, by virtue of allowing many routes initially, seem overly powerful to me. To me, dirty fighting methods would be a the method of choice for Bandits and, as such, Bandit styles of Vicious or Deceptive might be a tighter way to go. Something like this maybe
  • [*]Vicious (examples only)
    * Light-footed
    * Improved Overrun
    * Improved Critical
    * Menacing Aura
    [*]Deceptive(examples only)
    * Improved Precise Shot
    * Mobility
    * Ranged Finesse
Maybe not those categories, but something intimidating and physical (the Brigand type that roughs up passers-by on the road) and something sneakyand ambush oriented. There just seems to be a lot of choices that make it feel too versatile. Imean, they get Sneak Subdual for free at 3rd, so why not incorpoerate that into the style choices?

Just seems one would be like getting a lot more out of this class than any others because of the class abilities.

Iron_Chef said:
Uncle Fuzz said:

That's great to know (and a huge compliment to me). So there have been no balance or other problems with my class at all in your game? Would the player play this class again? Have you used any as NPCs against the party? I suppose many would have a level or two of Soldier (possibly Noble or Thief) before being "forced" to make their own way in the world...

I always thought the many myriad bandits in the Conan pastiches (and original REH tales) were among the most fun and colorful supporting characters in fantasy literature: Karela The Red Hawk, Hordo, etc.

No we haven't had any balance problems as of yet. The character is a good straight on warrior, but not nearly the equal of the Soldier or Barbarian in the group, and while his favorite move is the back stab, he isn't nearly as good at it as the thief in the group. Probably his greatest trait is his great dodge defense due to the great feats available to him. He wears no armor so as to have no penalties and has a 23 DV. Also, he almost always goes first in combat.

Here is a quick run down of the character.

Vardren "Spider" Valtra
Zamorian Bandit 7

ST-16 DX-21 CN-19 In-15 WS-16 Cha-11

Parry-14 Dodge-23 Initiative +11

Feats- Ferocious Attack, Sneak Subdual, Uncanny Dodge, Mobility, Improved Initiative, Light Footed

Hope this helps.

Back