Balance in Classes and Prestige Classes in B5?

Prophetsteve

Mongoose
First of all, while am not new to d20 games, I do not have much indepth knowledge of the d20 setting from a balance or design standpoint.

Also, my main interest in d20 had primarily been in AEG Spycraft and Stargate, which may have a different design philosophy. Again, I am not sure.

The question I ask is that it appears the classes in B5 only grant bonuses at certain levels. For instance, the Officer only gets a special ability at levels 1, 3, 8, 12, 15. The Worker gets next to nothing after 1st. However almost all the Prestige classes get special abilities at every level.

It seems to me that a person would want to switch to a prestige class as soon as possible. Is that the philosophy behind the classes in B5 or am I missing something.

Its just that generally in Spycraft, the game I am more knowledgeable in, a player gets minor bonuses every time he levels up - they may not be major but the idea is that even the base classes are good to go from 1-20 level and that you don't necessarily need prestige classes, although they have them. Is that the same philosophy as B5? Or is the purpose leveling up until you can specialize in a prestige class?

For those who have played B5, what has been your experience?

Thanks.

Prophetsteve said:
The question I ask is that it appears the classes in B5 only grant bonuses at certain levels. For instance, the Officer only gets a special ability at levels 1, 3, 8, 12, 15. The Worker gets next to nothing after 1st. However almost all the Prestige classes get special abilities at every level.

It seems to me that a person would want to switch to a prestige class as soon as possible. Is that the philosophy behind the classes in B5 or am I missing something.

Don't forget that you also get the Bonus Feats that the basic character gets for leveling up.

Even then, a Telepath for instance will not get all of the Telepathic Abilities that are possible for say a P12 without becoming a Psi Cop.

Back