BABYLON 5 SCRIPTS

Satai Delenn

Mongoose
For years, I've been at conventions and had fans come up with photocopied scripts they'd purchased from script stores or dealers for $20 a pop, many times in poor condition...with loose or missing pages, hard to read, and thought, there has to be a better way for fans to get these scripts without paying that much for copies that are often inferior.

So now, at some point in October, we're going to fix this.

All 91 Babylon 5 scripts that I wrote are going to be made available through an independent publishing firm in trade paperback form. We're still working out the final details in terms of how to put the scripts together, but right now the plan is to do 7 scripts per book, each volume released every two weeks or so, at a cost of about $29 per volume if ordered in the first week or so it comes online) or $39 per for those who buy later. That's four bucks per script if purchased early, about five per script if published later...which saves fans a HUGE amount of money.

There will be 14 volumes in all, each again containing 7 scripts AND newly written introductions and commentaries about each episode that are thus far averaging about 30 pages per book, telling some of the behind-the-scenes stories that have never been told before (and some that have), talking about the writing process, how the arc was created and maintained, anectodes about cast and crew, what went into the stories...enough so that at the end, at 30 pages over 14 volumes you get about 420 pages of new material on the making of B5...a book unto itself.

On top of THAT...some of the books will contain rare b&w photos from my own personal archives, taken by me on set, which have never before been seen by anyone else.

The very first book will have the Gathering script, plus 5 additional scripts (to make up the 7 hours of material) BUT...and this is the cool part...the script of the Gathering included in this volume will be one that has NEVER BEEN OFFICIALLY RELEASED BEFORE.

See, when we went to sell Babylon 5, I wrote a pilot screenplay to take around. When we made the deal, the notes process began...and the script went through considerable changes. But this is the ORIGINAL draft, the one only seen by the studio and the other producers on the show.

What's different? How about Garibaldi trying to get hold of his dying father back on Mars...how about a shape-shifter instead of a Minbari assassin with a changeling net...Londo as a part-time pick-pocket...Dr. Chakri Mendak instead of Dr. Kyle...new scenes between Lyta and Laurel, Delenn and others that were later cut...a LOT more character scenes with Sinclair and Garibaldi...a discovery about Delenn's lifestone and what that means to the Minbari...where Sinclair is NOT put on trial, but finds a whole different and more interesting way to solve the mystery of Kosh's assailant...and the introduction of Kosh's life-mate, Velana, who plays a very important role in the script. (Didn't know Vorlons had life-mates, did you?)

This script is HUGELY different from the one we filmed -- funnier in places, with more character moments -- and it has been kept under lock and key all this time. Now, for the first time, it will be officially released in the first volume of this set.

And here's the coolest part...as a gift for the fans...a FIFTEENTH volume will be given FREE to those who pick up the other 14. And what is IN this 15th volume, you ask?

Remember the lost script for "Soul Hunter," of which only 5 copies existed before I pulled them back, destroyed all but one copy for my files, and wrote a brand new script to replace it...all because it felt too much like a Star Trek script? Well, THAT one is in the free fifteenth volume. It also features a comic sub-plot concerning B5 being audited.

As if THAT wasn't cool enough...nearly a YEAR before we began writing episode scripts, before we HAD the series commitment, WB wanted to see what a typical episode might look like. So I wrote a draft of "And the Sky, Full of Stars," one of our most important episodes, that is massively different from what we would later produce...including fantasy sequences with Knight Two as the proprieter of a dark carnival of sorts.

It will also contain the Babylon 5 writers bible...the production draft of "The Gathering" as a companion to the original draft offered in volume one...and something very special.

For over ten years, fans have asked "What would Babylon 5 have been like had Sinclair stayed?" Well, that question will be answered in this volume.

After we finished the movie, but before we got the series going, WB asked to see a breakdown on this five-year arc thingie. So I wrote a six or seven page, single spaced outline of the ENTIRE FIVE YEARS with Sinclair still in place. The document makes for fascinating reading when compared with the series as it developed. NOT ONLY THAT, but the same document has a brief outline for A POTENTIAL BABYLON 5 SEQUEL SERIES, which would have been entitled BABYLON PRIME.

Again, that's what will go out FREE OF CHARGE to those who pick up the full set. While obviously all these volumes can be purchased a la carte for those who don't want all the script, this fifteenth volume will ONLY be sent out free, it cannot be purchased directly.

So for roughly a quarter of what fans would spend to buy the scripts individually from dealers, which are often poorly photocopied or otherwise in bad shape, you get uniform trade (large-ish) very handsome paperback editions, WITH the introductions, photos, and the bonus book.

(Doing the math more specifically...to purchase all the scripts one at a time would cost nearly $2,000. Here, if copies are purchased as the script books first come online, the full set would cost around $420; if purchased after the discount period, we're talking about $560...which is, again, for 15 volumes counting the free one, amounting to nearly FIVE THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED PAGES OF MATERIAL.)

THE WEB PAGE FOR YOU TO PUT IN ORDERS IS babylon5scripts.com

And oh yes there was another post where if you don't live in the US they will be shipping to other countries as well.The site where JMS archives his messages is jmsnews.com .And you can find more info.

Just read this myself over on jmsnews. Very interesting indeed, especially the extras. I'd love to see what the original draft for 'Sky Full of Stars' was like, as well as the B5 writer's bible. I got the chance to have a look at the Crusade one about eighteen months ago, and that was a wealth of knowledge that was never seen in the show, so the B5 one should be a real 'must have' as well.

For me, the original Sinclair arc is a real biggy, as is Babylon Prime.

Chobbly

Satai Delenn - thanks for posting this! Now there is something else for me to save up for apart from Mongoose stuff! :lol:

DW

Satai Delenn said:
The one I am interested is the 15 volume but you have to buy the other 14 to get it .Eeesh the money.
That's the one I want as well, but I suppose it makes sense to sell the rest first, and have the real goody as the bonus for buying the lot. I'd want the rest in any case, but it'll be good to read how the other stories were planned, and how they eventually panned out?

I wonder if Mongoose's licence for B5 could be expanded to cover whatever Babylon Prime is? Hmmm....

Chobbly

When we get prices I'm going to figure out the optimum, order each individual volume early for $10 bucks off but pay more shipping for more deliveries or order them a few ata time to offset the lost savings with shipping savings.

ANy B5 fans in Bristol want to club together to save on shipping? Pauly?

LBH

Volume 1 is released!!!!!!!!

$30 a pop for the first week only and the shipping is quite reasonable too.

I'm checking Bristol for people who want it then putting in an order.

You only save $3 shipping per book ordered together so clubbing tpogether or waiting to buy more than 1 volume at a time is no majopr advantage. Especially if you delay ordering the volumes and the price goes up $10

LBH

Hey everyone, I ordered mine over a week ago, after a couple of days I got a mail saying there would be a couple of days delay, and have heard nothing since. the order status has not been updated since the 1st of this month.

Anyone received their volume 1 yet?

LBH

Hey everyone, I ordered mine over a week ago, after a couple of days I got a mail saying there would be a couple of days delay, and have heard nothing since. the order status has not been updated since the 1st of this month.

I ordered mine within hours of the script book coming online and it wasn't shipped until the 8th it is supposed to be here tommorrow but according to UPS my copy is still sitting in CA and I don't live anywhere near CA.If you don't receive any email confirmation soon call them that's what I did.

My copy arrived today and speaking for myself it was worth the money and the wait .And if your planning on getting all of the script books a note to everyone there is a small box at the back of the book in tiny numbers BE PREPARED TO GRAB A MAGNIFICYING GLASS in order to read,cause I am sure some won't be able to.My first thought was they have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME !!! I can only hope that maybe they will print it bigger in coming volumes.

Hey Satai,

Well they e-mailed me to say my order would be shipped Monday. no sign of an update to my order status yet, but the it is still Monday for parts of the US, but if I don't see a change in the next couple of days, I'll e-mail them again.

Glad to know you got your copy though.

LBH

Got mine today, LBH I can only speculate that overseas shipping is slowing the delivery of yours. and, yeah the number on the back is TINYYYYY.

tomc300 said:
Got mine today, LBH I can only speculate that overseas shipping is slowing the delivery of yours. and, yeah the number on the back is TINYYYYY.

It's actually nothing to do with International shipping (yet), they have to ship it first, which they e-mailed me last night to say they had, so it should be on the way to me now, yay!

Plus, they gave me a $5 voucher to use on the next volume :D

LBH

Back