Babylon 5 Movies

omegar

Mongoose
Hey,

Apparently Sci-fi in the UK are doing the 6 B5 movies.

One a week for 6 weeks. starting this wedensday at 10pm.

6?! You mean they're showing LotR (Not Tolkien).

Damn I wish I had cable. but not so much as 'll get it. LotR is out on DVD in October.

LBH

I have the other 5 on DVD (twice(R1 and R2)) and on Video (twice (P&S and W/S), except fot the pilot, whicih I only have one P&S VHS of as no widescreen version exists)

LBH

AFAIK they are showing B5:LOTR as i am pretty sure i saw that logo

1. In the Beginning
2. The Gathering
3. Third Space
4. River of souls
5. A call to arms
6. Legend of the Rangers

What one am i missing?

No worries Omegar, i was merely expressing surprise at LotR being shown over here, ads I had never known it be done yet.

LBH
(Waiting for the DVD)

I thought the B5 movie DVD collection waas available over there. The only movie not in that pack it the B5LoTR. LBH, you could have a copy of the pilot if you already have it. Unless they marketted it differently over there.

I have 3 copies of the pilot, VHS, R2 DVD and R1 DVD.

LotR is not out in any form anywhere, except Aussie VHS for some obscure reason.

But the DVD will be out in the UK in October apparently.

LBH

Ah, you go for the shins and gonads instead!

Good man! Just remember, not everyone keeps their genitals in the same place!

:lol:

LBH

Am I the only one who thought Legend of the Rangers was an abomination that should never be shown, watched, or spoken of in order to protect the pure glory that was & is Babylon 5 (& Crusades which was spectacular)?

I mean seriously: (paraphrasing) "Every race in the Galaxy has a legend of the Forces of Darkness being cast down by the Forces of Light."

... yes... this was covered already.... those "Forces of Darkness" were called the Shadows. Those "Forces of Light" were called the Vorlons. Why are we adding in another ancient race of unimaginable darkness? WE DID THIS ALREADY!

I mean its not like there aren't still subjects to cover in the B5 universe: there's the Psi-War (occuring between the events of Babylon 5 & Crusade); there's the Drahk war, bleeding into the long dark of Centauri Prime & the dreaded coming of age of Sheriden's son. And those two concepts are just off the top of my head! We don't need to ham-handed repetitive plot concept to justify what's essentially a combat-oriented Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica rip-off!

You have no idea how glad I am that Legend of the Rangers didn't become a series (though I am saddened that this hurts the chances for other, better Babylon 5 spin-offs).

Glamourweaver said:
I mean seriously: (paraphrasing) "Every race in the Galaxy has a legend of the Forces of Darkness being cast down by the Forces of Light."

... yes... this was covered already.... those "Forces of Darkness" were called the Shadows. Those "Forces of Light" were called the Vorlons. Why are we adding in another ancient race of unimaginable darkness? WE DID THIS ALREADY!

Where there's one Dark Force, there can be another.

I mean you have the evil dudes from Thirdspace, that scouting party from Season 5's "A View from the Gallery". The race that sent out the 'Doomsday' probes from Season 3's "A Day in the Strife". none of these guys were forces for good now were they?

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Glamourweaver said:

Where there's one Dark Force, there can be another.

I mean you have the evil dudes from Thirdspace, that scouting party from Season 5's "A View from the Gallery". The race that sent out the 'Doomsday' probes from Season 3's "A Day in the Strife". none of these guys were forces for good now were they?

LBH

No, but none of them were MYTHIC forces of evil either (and most of them were probably just self-interested expansionists or raiders, not philosophically "Forces of Darkness" like the Shadows). My point is that they reused poorley a convention that the B5 series did extraordinarily well, and in the process hurt the chances of future B5 spin-offs or movies.

The main thing that bothered me about that pilot, was that it was such a Star Trek rip off. A crew of a starship sent to patrole, explore, & fight... honestly just replace Minbari with Vulcans & you're half way there. I blame the SciFi channel, who proved when they broke every promise they made regarding Sliders (that they would make it about the "What Ifs" again & not a meaningless scifi action series) that they're terrified of anything REMOTELY ground breaking... its a wonder that FarScape was ever made at all.

Glamourweaver I think that some of your points were well made but just remeber who was doing the writing.
Not for the first time has JMS given us something that we all thought we knew exactly where it was going, only to pull a 180 switch half way through!
Some of the characters were interesting and I'd have liked to have seen how they would have developed. On the other hand I hope that we have seen the very last of the VR weapon control!!! :shock:

DW

Traveller-61 said:
Glamourweaver I think that some of your points were well made but just remeber who was doing the writing.
Not for the first time has JMS given us something that we all thought we knew exactly where it was going, only to pull a 180 switch half way through!

Absolutely. Big, bad, Dark race turns up who says they are the hardest thing ever, yet it's funny that they've only just come out of hiding now that the Ancients are all gone. It's almost as if another class was trying to become seniors now the last class graduated...

But jms's voiced intent was to segway (sp?) the LotR plot into the Crusade one quite rapidly if it had been picked up for a series, but telling it from a Ranger perspective.

Traveller-61 said:
Some of the characters were interesting and I'd have liked to have seen how they would have developed. On the other hand I hope that we have seen the very last of the VR weapon control!!! :shock:

Absolutely doodly...

Back