Babylon 5 2ed and existing source material

Easygamer

Mongoose
I apologize if this has been addressed in another thread, or in Signs & Portents, but I want to make sure of something.

I have spent at least $600 in Babylon 5 materials, just on the roleplaying game. (I don't want to know how much I've spent on Call to Arms). As such, I want to be able to use these materials with 2nd Edition and not have to buy all the same material again, but updated for 2nd Edition. I believe the article in Signs & Portents says it's all compatible (compatable? I really need a dictionary) with the existing source material. I believe it said that most of the material is background material and conversions are so easy, they can be done in game.

If this is true, will there be some material to convert? Either a small supplement, or something actually in 2d Edition? I cannot afford, and will not spend, another $600 for the same materials, either in money, or space, but I will buy 2nd Edition and the new GM screen.

I don't want to sound grumpy, but I was grossly offended when Wizards released 3.5 within less than 2 years of 3.0 and made all my core books obsolete. I know they had an online conversion guide, but I didn't think it did the job.

Easygamer said:
I apologize if this has been addressed in another thread, or in Signs & Portents, but I want to make sure of something.

I have spent at least $600 in Babylon 5 materials, just on the roleplaying game. (I don't want to know how much I've spent on Call to Arms). As such, I want to be able to use these materials with 2nd Edition and not have to buy all the same material again, but updated for 2nd Edition. I believe the article in Signs & Portents says it's all compatible (compatable? I really need a dictionary) with the existing source material. I believe it said that most of the material is background material and conversions are so easy, they can be done in game.

If this is true, will there be some material to convert? Either a small supplement, or something actually in 2d Edition? I cannot afford, and will not spend, another $600 for the same materials, either in money, or space, but I will buy 2nd Edition and the new GM screen.

I don't want to sound grumpy, but I was grossly offended when Wizards released 3.5 within less than 2 years of 3.0 and made all my core books obsolete. I know they had an online conversion guide, but I didn't think it did the job.

Conversion guidelines are included in the 2nd edition RPG. The new edition will not invalidate any existing source mechanically.

Indeed conversion is easy...thier will need to be some web enhancements or the like to cover the Techno Mage books class and possibly some of the psi powers from psi corp but beyond that its all good, fear not :D

MSprange, one of two head honchos at MGP has stated frequently and often that none of our existing materials will be invalidated. Like you I have bought all the existing supplements, but I believe Matt when he says all will be OK.

Looking forward to the 2nd Edition, just the image of the cover makes me drool.

LBH

Fear crept into my heart when I heard that there would be a second edition. Then, rather than panic and start in with cries of "The sky is falling!" I read some material, asked some questions, and decided to give it as much of a good hard look before passing judgment. Granted, it isn't out yet, but I own every single book released so far, and I'm very much looking forward to the second edition.

I'm looking forward to the 2nd edition too :D

Also, as mentioned in another thread, most of the material in the supplement books is just information, the actual "rules additions" make up a small part of the content (with maybe a few exceptions such as the Technomage book, but even then most of that is spells which will probably be ok for the most part).

I am looking forward to it myself. I think it's going to be a level above the first edition game, and eagerly await it's release!

Ghost Dancer said:
I'm looking forward to the 2nd edition too :D

Also, as mentioned in another thread, most of the material in the supplement books is just information, the actual "rules additions" make up a small part of the content (with maybe a few exceptions such as the Technomage book, but even then most of that is spells which will probably be ok for the most part).

yup with Technomages, it isnt the spells that need 2e tweaking (though there are no doubt some that will) so much, as the class itself.

Thank you all. I do feel reassured.

Frankly, I like the fact that everything will be in one volume without having to tote along my 3.0 book. I thought that everyone was saying all would be ok, but I wanted to ask point blank. Sorry again for the grumpiness. :oops:

Easygamer said:
I thought that everyone was saying all would be ok, but I wanted to ask point blank. Sorry again for the grumpiness. :oops:

S'alright :lol: But next time you'll be stripped naked and thrown out the nearest airlock :twisted:

LBH

Neo said:
yup with Technomages, it isnt the spells that need 2e tweaking (though there are no doubt some that will) so much, as the class itself.

Does the class need a lot of tweaking? As in, Technomage Fact Book 2nd Edition, or just a rules suplement? (maybe a PDF download?)

Ghost Dancer said:
Neo said:

Does the class need a lot of tweaking? As in, Technomage Fact Book 2nd Edition, or just a rules suplement? (maybe a PDF download?)

Skill changes would be fairly easy and influence addition again would be fairly easy..but the main hassle comes from the fact all classes in 2nd edition are 10 levels not 20 and the technomage is dependant on his levels for his spells and his early spells in order to gain his later spells, and then there are all those integral class abilities etc... so i'm not entirely sure how the class would work as a 10 level without the addition of a lot of prestige classes for them to fill in the gaps should it be reduced to the new 10 level format. As it stands it would just have to remain the exception to the rule and stay 20 level until tweaked.

If it invalidates that bit about Ireland joining the UK and leaving the EU in the process from the Earth Alliance Fact Book (as well as the stereotyping of, well, not just Irish people - sad to see Irish not counted as an extra language... probably fair though) then I'm all for it!

Gary

And the bit about Australians being adventurous. That is a small group stereotyped out of all proportion, due to a certaibn comedian with the initials P.H.

I thought Irish was required to be taught in schools, as well as English. (Now not then)

Well I don't know about Irish, but Idon't think Gaelic (in Scotlsand) is a required part of the curriculum, though I'm fairly sure you could teach it if you wanted to.

but in the UK, we seem to have more than enough trouble trying to teach our kids English :lol:

LBH

Irish is part of the school curriculum, but not an especially popular part.

Excuse me while I maroon Peig bloody Sayers on Z'ha'dum or something.

Back