B5 Space Combat - Some Thoughts - and Comments?

wraith said:
These charts were designed for series five. Why do people have such a problem with this. If Tim Earls, the designer of the warlock computer model say the ship is nearly 2000m long, then it is 2000m long.

With something like the Warlock there is no problem. This is how big it was designed to be, and how big it appeared (near enough as makes no difference) on screen.

When you get onto the Whitestar there is a problem. Tim's sizes there aren't even supported by on screen evidence in season 5, and ceratinly not in the previous two seasons More than anything other size, Tim's size for the Whitestar is wrong as it does not match how the ship was shown on screen.

I will be buying the game, but not the minis. the full-size minis are great for displaying or small squadron action, but the expense and the table size for a fleet action is not practical & economical to me. who has a deep bank account and room for a huge table (> 4x6)? believe me as a B5W & FA playtester, I've tried & failed to work around table size & full-size B5W minis. not only is the game meant for fleet action, but that's what I prefer as well. that's why I play Full Thrust & FA.

so I will be sticking to FA and Full Thrust minis, hoping Mongoose changes their mind about FA scale for their fleet action game. in the meantime I will enjoy playing the new game.

Tim's sizes there aren't even supported by on screen evidence in season 5, and ceratinly not in the previous two seasons More than anything other size, Tim's size for the Whitestar is wrong as it does not match how the ship was shown on screen.

I agree about the other seasons, but it looks right for season 5 to me. Also, since Tim Earls did help animate the other computer models, not just the Warlock, it seems a bit strange that he would get the sizes wrong.

wraith said:
Tim's size for the Whitestar is wrong as it does not match how the ship was shown on screen.

I agree about the other seasons, but it looks right for season 5 to me.

You want a very specific example where it was wrong in season 5..?

In "Objects In Motion" (I think) as the whitestar carrying Sheriden and Delenn to Minbar lines up on B5 you get a tracking shot from Sheriden looking out the front viewport towards CnC. If you take Tim's 475m figure, that would make Sheriden about 10ft tall minimum... At about 250m ish you're spot on for 6ft...

I'll just toss my two creds in on the scale question. Myself I prefer the Fleet Action scale for the minis (I do hope this is the way they go). The large two stand "minis" of B5W were too ungainly for my tastes. As said above they do make real good display pieces thought.

In "Objects In Motion" (I think) as the whitestar carrying Sheriden and Delenn to Minbar lines up on B5 you get a tracking shot from Sheriden looking out the front viewport towards CnC. If you take Tim's 475m figure, that would make Sheriden about 10ft tall minimum... At about 250m ish you're spot on for 6ft...

Possible..... can't be sure as there is no way to measure it. Lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Back