B5 Questions

TimoftheC2

Mongoose
Hi all,

I've been trying to get the rules on the use of breaching pods clear in my head before my first game in a long time tomorrow.

I can see that Breaching Pods count as have having the same traits as a fighter (and I assume are launched the same way) but does that mean you can use the Scramble Scramble special action to launch 2 pods per turn?

Thanks,

Tim

Lo again all,

I've changed the title of this thread rather than create a new one.

Had my first game for well over a year last night. I was never that conversant with the rules before I stopped playing and a couple of questions cropped up that I thought I'd try and get an answer to if that's ok.

The first one continues the theme of breaching pods in that, when you launch a boarding action using the special action "launch breaching bods and shuttles" and you are at the maximum range of 4" does the ship being boarded get to use its ant-fighter trait when the pods get within 2"?

The second question relates to the "Close blast doors" special action. The wording in the rule book states "for each point of damage OR crew taken this turn, roll one dice. On a 5 or more the point is ignored".

I read the rule to apply to both damage and crew, ie a ship taking 3 damage and 3 crew would roll 3 dice to try and nullify the damage and then 3 dice to try an nullify the crew loss. However, this was a point of debate because the rules state "damage OR crew". can anyone clarify this for me please.

A further point on this are weapons that do double or triple damage. If an attacker gets three hits with a triple damage gun - giving 9 points of damage, I assume you get to roll 9 dice to try and nullify all the damage. Is that correct?

Hope that's nit too long.

Tim

TimoftheC2 said:
The first one continues the theme of breaching pods in that, when you launch a boarding action using the special action "launch breaching bods and shuttles" and you are at the maximum range of 4" does the ship being boarded get to use its ant-fighter trait when the pods get within 2"?
This special action is somewhat misnamed as it has nothing to do with breaching pods. You don't use up breaching pods for this action; you don't even need them! You just put your ship within range of the enemy, declare "Launch breaching pods and shuttles", then if you're still within 4" by the end of the turn (and haven't taken a critical which knocks out special actions) you can dump as many of your ship's troops as you like onto the enemy ship. There are no markers for the shuttles assumed to be doing the ferrying, so antifighter can't touch them. The disadvantage is that they have to go through a standard docking port so the enemy will be waiting for them, which is why the enemy's troops get to shoot first during the boarding action.

Launching breaching pods requires no special action - in fact, apart from "Scramble, scramble", you can't use a special action if you want to launch them. They move as normal and can be attacked by antifighter, fighters or ships' guns. If they survive all that, they can hit the enemy's hull anywhere, so the defenders can't be sitting waiting for them, which is why you get to shoot first during the boarding phase.

The second question relates to the "Close blast doors" special action. The wording in the rule book states "for each point of damage OR crew taken this turn, roll one dice. On a 5 or more the point is ignored".

I read the rule to apply to both damage and crew, ie a ship taking 3 damage and 3 crew would roll 3 dice to try and nullify the damage and then 3 dice to try an nullify the crew loss. However, this was a point of debate because the rules state "damage OR crew". can anyone clarify this for me please.

A further point on this are weapons that do double or triple damage. If an attacker gets three hits with a triple damage gun - giving 9 points of damage, I assume you get to roll 9 dice to try and nullify all the damage. Is that correct?
Correct on all counts. You roll dice for each point of damage and each point of crew lost. Multiple damage weapons do multiple damage and you roll for the whole lot, so yes, if you took three hits from a triple damage weapon without any being reduced by bulkhead hits, you 9 dice for damage and 9 dice for crew. You also get to try to save any bonus damage or crew lost due to critical hits, which are also multiplied the same way - getting hit by a Vorlon precise quad damage beam can really ruin your day. :twisted:

Back