B5 - Basing Fighters

How many Fighters per base do you think is best?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok, CTA fleet boxes supplies 6 fighters per base. Some people utilize older AOG fighters that I have seen 1 per base.

What is peoples opinion of how many fighters is it economical and esthetically <sp> pleasing?

I've picked up 3 fleet boxes and want to utilize them to best effect!

Thanks
Robyn

a crowded base looks better, but I'm wishing that Mongoose had packed more with the fleet boxes. My initial fighter build put 24 starfuries individually on pennies.

Wulf Corbett said:
I use 2 to a base (not a reply permitted on your poll...), but I use 20mm square GW bases.

Wulf

Realized that after searching that 2 was an option also. So added it to the poll!

8)

I found a guy who bases 2 per base http://www.wulf.demon.co.uk/FApics.htm

He utilizes GW 20mm stands for the fighters.

Is there a preference for hex or square with this system?

dragonladytoo said:
I found a guy who bases 2 per base http://www.wulf.demon.co.uk/FApics.htm

He utilizes GW 20mm stands for the fighters.
I am thay guy 8)
Is there a preference for hex or square with this system?
No. All measurements are taken from the stem of a base (or the centre of a counter or a base with no stem, like fighter bases). Base size and shape is purely a matter of esthetics and physical positioning.

Wulf

dragonladytoo said:
Always happy to give credit, when credit is due!

Nice displays!!

Very good for giving some perspective!
I desperately need to take new photos, I now have a full fleet of Dilgar and Pak'ma'ra, many more Vree and Abbai, and assorted others, as well as having most of the ships based. Not a vast amount more fighters, but certainly some. Unfortunately, I now use flourescent lighting which my digital camera doesn't like (makes everything a funny colour, and extends exposure time over the wobble factor), so I'll have to arange some additional lights.

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
Base size and shape is purely a matter of esthetics and physical positioning.
Oh, by the way, as this system does use 4 arcs of fire, a square base does have a distinct advantage in that it's far easier to measure those arcs.

Wulf

For the AOG Fleet Action scale stuff, I use 6 per base. For the larger B5Wars stuff I've recently went to mounting them individually but on special stands that indicate their strength/crew quality.

Basically I took a bunch of HeroClix/Mage Knight bases and removed the figure. I'd pick up some commons for pennies, mostly snatching up police officers and whatever I think may be useful for other games. Then take apart the base. I made a template with numbers from 1-12 on and glue that to the lower disc. Then I'd drill a hole in the upper disc, paint it flat black and mount a plastic flight stem in the top. Reassemble and now I have a flight stand that for ACTA could indicate the crew quality (using numbers 1-6), or for B5 Wars, Starmada, or Full Thrust as the number of fighters in a group (1-12). Or if I was to use them for dogfight games like Aerotech or Silent Death, they'd just indicate the number of the model.

Here's a pic of my prototype.

ack.sized.jpg

I like six to a base, as it gets that horde of flyers look that works for me... I just wish flyers were a bit more useful, as they seem almost useless now.

This isn't quite Star Wars (where tiny fighters taking down much larger ships is an established part of the setting) but the canon of B5 does make fighters valuable parts of a battle plan.

The group I am in use a small base approx size of a penny, and base 3 fighters on stalks at varying heights.

Visually, to us it is far superior to 6 to a hex base. I'll see if I can get some picks up

I use 6 to a base.

the problem with 6 to a base against many of the other options is that you can't fit quite as many starfuries packed tightly together, their x foils stick out a bit and stop you lining up tons together.

Also i like the look of having loads of fighters out on the table when your capital ships are unloaded.

at our club we settled on 3 to a base in a wedge formation, by mounting them on a tirangular piece of plasticard an top of a ground zero games base. I'll take a pic sometime and upload it.
it works really well

I use the standered 6 to a base tho i put 3 to a base, tho 3 to a base would give a bit more space to paint and add a bit to the base

6 for me too...Aside from the fact that that's what's intended, I like the crowded look...Although I do cut the bases in half horizantally so they aren't as thick...

Back