[art] Hyborean Gazetteer sneakpeak

Having been introduced to the Conan Mythos back in the early eighties in Savage Sword of Conan.. I too have been a big fan of the black and white images I had seen of the Cimmerian reaver. I do like your take on him as well. Just as long as he is not portrayed as an ungainly ox I will be pleased..

B

Im going to second much of what been said before ... :!:

Hmm, I like the new pic allot more than the old one.
IMHO; The colours works together in this picture - it creates atmosphere. Still, i really think u should go heavier on the shadows and the darkness. Dont be afraid of losing all those lovely details. Details don’t have any value of them own and in my book a unseen detail is as explicit as a seen.

I also would add some shadows, and a full moon like this ain't no help for a thief,
but I know this is mostly irrelevant since you placed it for ambiance...
Also, I find his face a little too close on classical Greece beauty canon, if you know what I mean...
I always imagined Conan being scarred all over and not such a "Tom Cruise" lookalike.
All this being said, I agree that these opinions are highly debatable.
Overall, this is a great drawing with nice architectural elements. 8)

Folks, on Conan the thief, I didn't want stars.. too romantic... I wanted haze...and most of the time, things darken upon publication... I would rather err on the side of clarity than the side of unintelligableness

. Conan is 19, not the bulky, haggard, scarred dude yet... well, maybe a couple of scars, but you get the drift.

Anyway

Another sneak peek.

this is Costantius a.k.a. Falcon.

attachment.php

Storn, I like the style of these a lot. The only one I have a problem with is the Conan the thief. And it has nothing to do with the art itself. I think the picture is fabulous. My problem comes with the representation of Conan. When I think of Conan in his "thief" period I think of "The God in the Bowl" and "The Tower of the Elephant". In both stories Conan as described as wearing just a Loin cloth and high laced sandals. He has a tunic in TotE but looses it soon into the story.
Overall, I really like your work and look forward to seeing more.

Chuck

cwchmc said:
Storn, I like the style of these a lot. The only one I have a problem with is the Conan the thief. And it has nothing to do with the art itself. I think the picture is fabulous. My problem comes with the representation of Conan. When I think of Conan in his "thief" period I think of "The God in the Bowl" and "The Tower of the Elephant". In both stories Conan as described as wearing just a Loin cloth and high laced sandals. He has a tunic in TotE but looses it soon into the story.
Overall, I really like your work and look forward to seeing more.

Chuck

What I worked from for my Conan the thief was Howard's own words, given to me by Mongoose. No loin cloth. No sandals. In fact, soft booted shoes were SPECIFICALLY asked for by the art dept.

Also folks, bear in mind that I'm illustrating points of Conan (and his various comrades) life/lives at specific points in time for a role playing game. Not for specific points in time for REH's stories. Even though Howard's words are a guide, there are other considerations... one of which is "don't do what has been done before, find a new twist."

Just an example: I had to draw Valeria. REH's own text spoke of a straight sword on this obvious pirate lady. I SO wanted to do a more cutlass/scimitar... it worked better with the vibe, it also worked better with the pose from a purely visual design POV. But I did the straight sword. The illustration was approved. I colored it. Then the art dept asks if I can change the straight sword to a curved one... going against REH's words. I jumped and said "of course, I wanted to do it in the first place!" So, Valeria's sword is now curved.

Storn said:
Also folks, bear in mind that I'm illustrating points of Conan (and his various comrades) life/lives at specific points in time for a role playing game. Not for specific points in time for REH's stories. Even though Howard's words are a guide, there are other considerations... one of which is "don't do what has been done before, find a new twist."
Point taken, I guess you're right : he was younger as a thief, and porbably less scarred. And if you wouldn't take small liberties, people would complain you copy what has already been done before. BTW, Costantius a.k.a. Falcon is real nice. Keep up the good work!

Here is Zenobia. Mother of Conn, wife to be (when pictured) of our soon-to-be royal Cimmerian.

Demure, but determined?

Anyway, thanks for taking a look at these sneak peeks. This will be the last one I will post before publication. I will have done 13 pics in all for the book. I hope y'all will at least flip through it at your local game store...of course, I REALLY hope you buy it! That way I'll be able to keep doing Conan doodles in the months to come.

attachment.php

WOW! (please excuse the all-caps screaming, but... WOW!)

I love the art for Zenobia. The stout dagger she holds is perfect!

'He inspected the weapon the girl (Zenobia) had given him, and smiled grimly. Whatever else she might be, she was proven by that dagger to be a person of practical intelligence. It was no slender stiletto, slected because of a jeweled hilt or gold guard, fitted only for dainty murder in milady's boudoir; it was a forthright poniard, a warrior's weapon, broad bladed, tapering to a diamond-sharp point.' (REH, The Hour of the Dragon)

Excellent!

Great work on all of these Storn, but then your work always is. Thanks for the previews it makes me want this book all the more.

Just want to add my kudos.

I especially like the attention to detail with respect to the weapons, armour, and clothing--realistic and historically based, but with a hint of fantasy about it. 8)

I'll definitely be picking this one up!

Hogrim said:
Just want to add my kudos.

I especially like the attention to detail with respect to the weapons, armour, and clothing--realistic and historically based, but with a hint of fantasy about it. 8)

I'll definitely be picking this one up!

Why, thanks. I appreciate you noticing! I've never been a fan of the hugely, gothic, spikey weapons of say...warhammer esthetic. I got to handle a real 14th century Hand and a half/Bastard sword from Germany a couple of years ago... and marveled at how well it was made and how LIGHT the thing was... could easily use in one hand... and I'm 5'8", fairly athletic, but certainly no warrior. Really gave me a sense on how amazing real swords are.

Back