armor

DarkHawk

Mongoose
I have just ordered the game and a long long time fan as are all my friends. my question is can Kia's wear metal armor? chain, plate, ect

DarkHawk said:
I have just ordered the game and a long long time fan as are all my friends. my question is can Kia's wear metal armor? chain, plate, ect

I remember LW wearing a chainmail waistcoat as an option in the original books.

Kai Lords are proficient with light armour, which means Padded, Leather, Studded Leather, and Chainmail Waistcoat. Anything more than that (including Scale and Full Chain) can be done, but doubles the armour check penalty.

Yep, this is the 3rd edition of DnD we're talking about.
If you want, your Brotherhood wizard can wear full plate and a greatsword. He'll get lots of penalties, but it IS possible.

as i have yet to get my copy of LW in the mail yet, another question. Since i cant stand 3rd addition can this be played in old school AD&D 2nd addition. i'm a simple man and stuck in my ways :(

LW is a complete game, not just an add-on for D&D.
That said, it is based on 3.5 edition rules, and the difference between 2E and 3E is pretty huge. So, IMHO you have a lot of work to do if you want to convert it back to fit with old AD&D rules.
I recommend you try it as it is first. Then, if you don't like it, you can change it. I personally thought I was going to convert it to my game system (and I did actually convert the Kai Lord), but then I found the game in itself a very nice piece of work, so I decided to use it as it is. And the conversion I was going to make would have been way easier than the one you're planning for.

The changes between SRD 3.0 and 3.5 that actually get represented in the LW system are so insignificant as to not really be worth thinking about :)

However, for anyone with nothing better to do (like me) it's possible to delve in and see that the majority of 3.5 changes affected specific races, spells and character classes, none of which were used for the LW system.

The biggest indication that LW might be closer to 3.5 are the facts that it doesn't have Partial Actions, and that Damage Reduction is more like the 3.5 version. Other than those two fairly minor (in the grand scheme of things) details it's "SRD-derived"

Anonymous said:
as i have yet to get my copy of LW in the mail yet, another question. Since i cant stand 3rd addition can this be played in old school AD&D 2nd addition. i'm a simple man and stuck in my ways :(

LW is OGL so it is designed to be played with no books. Though it is based on 3e/3.5e, I think you will still enjoy this game if you preferred 2e as it shares a similar feel. Many of the complications of 3e have been removed (no feats, AoO etc) and things are much simpler. Overall, the feel of LW reminds me more of 1e or OD&D than 2e or 3e :)

As for converting it to 2e rules wise, I wouldn't recommend it as it would be extremely difficult and, as the feel is simpler in any case, would only serve to complicate things further.

columbob said:
I thought the LW RPG was based on the 3.0 edition rules.

Definately 3.5-derived. In addition to what mthomason said, monsters have Space/Reach (3.5) rather than Face/Reach (3.0) and it is Sleight of Hand (3.5) rather than Pick Pocket (3.0) in the skills. Just a couple more to add :)

Back