Argossean devils

Saurus

Mongoose
The "religion part" from the Pirate description says "many takes to the worship of devils of their own lands"

I have an Argossean pirate in my group, any suggestions on who those devils are in this case, or where I can find such info?

Well Demons do not consider earthly borders, so i think that any Demon lord should do... i think it was "scroll of skelos" or "Shadizar" where the demon lords are...
Good luck

An Argossean probably worships Mitra as his "devil." (as any god might be termed in a land where that god is not worshipped)

Or, he could worship what an Argossean might consider to be the devil to Mitra - Asura or Set or a Pictish god.

Since mariners have always been a very superstitious lot, I would assume that Hyboria's pirate-folk are not any different. I may suggest they have a healthy--and wise--fear/reverence/respect for the Sea, whether in general, or perhaps personified (as a Triton-esque deity, or even a folk-belief like "Davie Jones").

Strange that Mitra uses another pantheon's god as the devil. Is this a normal model of religions of Hyboria? I know our own time tends to keep to their own playground. We may say other religions are wrong, but we usually don't pick their gods as our devils.

Yogah of Yag said:
Since mariners have always been a very superstitious lot, I would assume that Hyboria's pirate-folk are not any different. I may suggest they have a healthy--and wise--fear/reverence/respect for the Sea, whether in general, or perhaps personified (as a Triton-esque deity, or even a folk-belief like "Davie Jones").

I'd take some sea-god, too, maybe Dagon? For this it may be cool to re-read HPL's Shadows over Innsmouth or the Cthulhu GM book.

René said:
Yogah of Yag said:

I'd take some sea-god, too, maybe Dagon? For this it may be cool to re-read HPL's Shadows over Innsmouth or the Cthulhu GM book.

Man, I have got to start reading HPL!
Dagon the film was pretty good. I saw it on the SciFi network a few months ago. Pretty creepy! :shock:
Has anyone in the forums/fora statted out some HPL monsters in the Conan RPG system? 'Sounds like something that Raven might have done...

Yogah of Yag said:
Has anyone in the forums/fora statted out some HPL monsters in the Conan RPG system? 'Sounds like something that Raven might have done...

And you'd be right. Bumping "Conan and Cthulhu" now- where I have Mythos creatues in Conan RPG format. My stuff is mostly in the last half. I'll send you the complete list of the Cthulhu stuff I've done to date if you want....planning on collecting it a Word Doc in late spring/summer.

Raven Blackwell said:
Yogah of Yag said:

And you'd be right. Bumping "Conan and Cthulhu" now- where I have Mythos creatues in Conan RPG format. My stuff is mostly in the last half. I'll send you the complete list of the Cthulhu stuff I've done to date if you want....planning on collecting it a Word Doc in late spring/summer.

A-ha! My hunch was correct!

I seem to recall in my related reading about a sea god called Dagon. I believe that He/It was revered (And/Or feared ...) around the region of the southern Vilayet Seas, and that the Yuetshi (spelling?) people were sacrificed to Him by the Dagonite followers.

I may be intermixing this with my own interpretation and additions, but I have written several pages on the subject. Raven has also done some presentation on the Cthulu 'Dark Ones' which I also like and find adaptable.

I have found some polarized interpretations of Dagon however, both as a benevolent/ neutral sea god 'Dagon of the Golden Tail', spoken of with reverance by mariners, and also this 'evil' one, 'Dagon of the Dark Waters' or something like that ...

Can any Conan fans help to clarify for Me? (Vincent?). I like using the less well known gods, demons and other 'Cosmic Ones' in my RPG, as it creates more mystery for the Players ...

EG: Morrigan - the Goddess of War for the Cimmerian areas, etc.

LokiOne said:
I seem to recall in my related reading about a sea god called Dagon. I believe that He/It was revered (And/Or feared ...) around the region of the southern Vilayet Seas, and that the Yuetshi (spelling?) people were sacrificed to Him by the Dagonite followers.

You are thinking of The Devil in Iron. The Dagonian people lived on the island of Dagonia; when Khosatrel Khel arrived, he helped them to build the city of Dagon and they worshipped Khosatrel Khel.

LokiOne said:

Based off the actual Celtic Goddess and a favourite of mine. Goddess of War, Death, Black Magic, Fertility and Sexuality. You can look her up in any good non-New Age reference to get a handle on her. The older the better. Modern authors tend to try and clean her up.

Raven Blackwell said:
LokiOne said:

Based off the actual Celtic Goddess and a favourite of mine. Goddess of War, Death, Black Magic, Fertility and Sexuality. You can look her up in any good non-New Age reference to get a handle on her. The older the better. Modern authors tend to try and clean her up.

War and Sexuality?!?
Now, that's my kind of goddess!

I have Gods and Demigods by TSR, that has the Hyborian Mythos in it with all kinds of D&D stats. It's not very comprehensive or accurate, I think. But it helped me out a little bit. I'll have to dig it out, and go over it again. Not sure if it had any Argossian devils or not.

Back