apes in judge dredd

An interesting question. It has been quite some time since I have run JD and since I have read any JD stories that had apes in it. I would say that they have the same "rights" as mutants do. So, they have even less rights than normal citizens. Anyone feel free to correct me :)

Scientists of Dredd’s world have been able to stimulate unused areas of an animal’s brain to give them almost human intelligence - resulting in speaking animals! They called this genetic alteration ‘Hyper-Intelligence’.

By 2101, experimentation on various animals continued until Judge Dredd saved Monty the Guinea Pig from Doctor Galt, a mad scientist who intended to blackmail Mega-City One. It was after this brief encounter with ‘intelligent’ animals that Dredd changed the Law to protect them from harm and put a halt to the surgery that that created these freaks of nature. (see: The Guinea Pig That Changed The Law – 2000AD prog 126)

The genetically engineered apes were different to the other animals bestowed with ‘hyper-intelligence’ in that they assisted in the building of Mega-City One. With this in mind and their close relationship to humans on the evolutionary scale I personally feel they would have been given rights but ones which were not as extensive as those given to human citizens. They would have been treated as a sub-class of citizen; after all, they were initially created to serve mankind.

Around 2099 there was a legal loophole were Mega City penal laws only applied to human citizens. ( Though Dredd got around this by incarcarating the surviving members of Apelino's gang in the Mega City Zoo.) I assume they have fuller legal equality ( though they remain as a socially unequal minority ) by 2131.
In later stories Apes are shown amongst citizens eligable to be housed in floating condos. The criminal groups of apes are included in mob organised meetings of heads of families and Justice Department clearly has to go through lengthy investigation,s Wally Squad operations and survaillence ops etc to try and bring them to justice.
The fact that Travis Perkin's was recieved into the Academy of Law probably sign posts the theoretical equality as citizens. ( The fact that his cadet career was prematurely ended shows however just how big a social difference exists in reality ).

An ape that did get through the Academy of Law is Judge Harry Heston.

You can view this rare material at http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/website.htm and follow the link for Online Issues.

Quite right, and he was stated up for my campaign if I need him.
Didn't include him in mt earlier post as the two tales were fan fiction albeit from someone who is now an established Dredd artist.
Judge White

Even during the brief period of offical mutant immigration and citizenship at the end of Hershey's officer, citizenship wasn't granted by the MC1 Justice Department to off-world colonists of up-lifts and mutants.
During a two year conflict in 2129-2130 , the Colony Marshall of Colony K Alpha 61 granted citizenship to all the colony's up-lifts, mutants and droids.
After the Colonist's victory over the Zhind the Office of the Chief Judge sent a communication revoking the recently enfranchised 'none-human' workforce.
This led to a declaration of independence by the Judges and workforce on the 4th of July 2130 and a subsequent rebellion .
(From the Mega-zines 'Insurrection' comic strip )
JRW

Has anyone access to the Dredd Summer Special story 'Billion Dollar Caper' which featured Don Uggi's mob ?
Where the gang incarcerated in a prison rather than a zoo in this story ?
Judge White

I don't have this 'special' unfortunately, but if anyone out there is going to look for it, the story is called 'The Billion Credit Caper' and it can be found in the 2000AD SCI-FI SPECIAL 1979. :)

There is no specified sentence in that story - Dredd burns Don Uggie's winning lottery ticket out of spite...

apegang2.jpg
[/img]

Interestingly, in November 1977 (er... 2099), when Dredd first arrests the Ape Gang and sentences them to serve their time in the Mega City Zoo under the Animal Nuisance Act 1987 (which states that any animal creating danger to human life must be kept in a secure place), the length of the sentence is not specified, though Don Uggie does say to himself in the last panel, as Fast Eek and Joe Bananas are throwing food at each other and crowds are visiting the zoo to look at the stupid monkeys in gangster outfits, 'Sheesh, a couple a years of dis is enough to make any ape go straight'.

The Billion Credit Caper came out in July 1979 (2101) and the gang is at liberty by this time. Less than two years does not seem a terribly long sentence, considering they were firing tommy guns at Judges... but there you go :)

This story does not mention how long the gang were locked up for either, just that they had been sentenced to serve their time in the mega City zoo two years previously.

Law must have certainly been tightened up.
By 2102 the captured ape terrorist 'Big Zak' expects to be sent to jail by Dredd. Dredd however informs him that his offences have bought a death sentence instead.

Back