Another missing thread?

SteveMND

Mongoose
Okay, have I gone blind, or has another thread critical of the MRQ system -- the one named "Companion, No Thanks" IIRC -- been deleted?

I've been following it fairly closely today (since it contained probably my first post here in two or three weeks), and it never seemed to get close to the sort of harsh language or personal attacks that might warrant it's exclusion. DBC and some other had some rather interesting comments too.

If it was indeed deleted, why? I seem to recall the last one critical of the system that was reportedly deleted, no-one saw anything overtly offensive posted before it disappeared. Can't we just lock threads and allow them to die a natural death as they pass off the front page as opposed to deleting them and all the comments within them?

Looks like it's gone.

I didn't read through the entire thread - was anything offensive posted?

From some of the points made by the OP, it seemed that there was some valid need of Companion errata.

:?:
The thread was civil, even if it raised a few questions (and eyebrows) about the RQ Companion.

It is starting to look like Mongoose doesn't want to read anything negative about thier products on thier own boards. :?

And will delete threads to ensure it. :shock:

This is a joke right?
There was nothing offensive in that thread when I looked this afternoon. So unless it went nuclear in about seven hours then some heavy handed Modding is going down.

But I've said too much, we have all got to be much more careful now, they are listening. :shock: :roll:

You know, from what I recall, the OP was in the tone of "I looked at this book in my LGS and it's just stupid and I'm not going to buy it."

Were I Mongoose? I'da probably deleted the thread too. I mean, it's one thing to come on to a publisher's board and express distaste for a given product and maybe a house rule or several to make it better, but to come on to a publisher's board and out and out effectively call a product trash based on a brief flipping-through at the game store? Eh, neh. That's what sites like rpg.net are for; a publisher has EVERY right to not allow posts of that nature on their own forums.

Note I'm not supporting extensive censorship, but this is Mongoose's house and we are given leave to post here by Mongoose.

Unfortunately, I think there were some valid points brought up by the criticism, and now they have disappeared too.

Melkor said:
Unfortunately, I think there were some valid points brought up by the criticism, and now they have disappeared too.

All the more reason for the thread to go *poof*.

THink about it. If the criticisms looked invalid or idoitic, it is better to leave them up and let everone read them for a laugh, and dismiss them.

If, the criticisms are valid, then they either need to be adressed or dealt with in another fashion.

Note I'm not supporting extensive censorship, but this is Mongoose's house and we are given leave to post here by Mongoose.

I won't deny they of course have the option of doing that. However, if this indeed is a case of them deleting a thread merely because it disagreed with their products, then it presents a very poor portrait about them as a company. :(

SteveMND said:
I won't deny they of course have the option of doing that. However, if this indeed is a case of them deleting a thread merely because it disagreed with their products, then it presents a very poor portrait about them as a company. :(

So much for a "last hurrah and final shoutout", eh? I knew you'd be back. :D

I think there are enough posts here to prove beyond doubt that Mongoose does not delete threads merely because they disagree with their products. Most threads here openly disagree with RuneQuest in one way or another, but most threads here also don't seem to be spiteful or offer forth some way to fix the problems relayed by the thread.

That said, my memory of the post in question is one of spiteful "this sucks and I'm not buying it". I don't think Mongoose overstepped their boundaries by deleting it; I would have rather them edited it and left the resultant conversation intact, but there's only so many hours a day and I'd rather them be working on Glorantha or Lankhmar or Legendary Adventures or any of the other upcoming RuneQuest books than moderating forums.

iamtim said:
SteveMND said:

So much for a "last hurrah and final shoutout", eh? I knew you'd be back. :D

I think there are enough posts here to prove beyond doubt that Mongoose does not delete threads merely because they disagree with their products. Most threads here openly disagree with RuneQuest in one way or another, but most threads here also don't seem to be spiteful or offer forth some way to fix the problems relayed by the thread.

That said, my memory of the post in question is one of spiteful "this sucks and I'm not buying it". I don't think Mongoose overstepped their boundaries by deleting it; I would have rather them edited it and left the resultant conversation intact, but there's only so many hours a day and I'd rather them be working on Glorantha or Lankhmar or Legendary Adventures or any of the other upcoming RuneQuest books than moderating forums.

There was some good discourse in that thread, but the thread was started in a very negative way. Probably would have been better off with a thread called " I have problems with the Companion and here they are".

haargald said:
There was some good discourse in that thread, but the thread was started in a very negative way. Probably would have been better off with a thread called " I have problems with the Companion and here they are".

My point exactly.

Hi guys,

Normally we don't police our boards too heavily, aside from spam and attacks against other members. However, we have been contacted by more than a few people asking us to pay stricter attention to what gets posted, not about other posters, but the games themselves.

We do not foresee this happening for more than a month or so, as a number of our games are in flux (to one degree or another) at the moment, nor do we wish to continue this policy for any longer - as far as we are concerned, if someone has taken the trouble to actually go out and buy one of our products, they have a right to say pretty much what they wish about it.

For now, however, we will delete posts and threads whenever a sizeable number of people ask for it to be done. Normal service will be resumed very soon. . .

iamtim said:

THat appears to be changing though. The oold statment of leaving posts unless they 'stepped over the line" in terms of etiquette seems to be gone. Now, it seems if the mods don't like what they see they will delete the thread.

iamtim said:

I'm pretty much disgusted with the heavy handed moderating. Not much point in typing anything.

I'm pretty much disgusted with the heavy handed moderating. Not much point in typing anything.

Well, most of your stuff stays up on the forum, Atgxtg. (What does that screenname refer to, anyway?) Certainly I can probably tell if a post is likely to be deleted due to removal of the thread, usually from the tone of the first post. I'm kind of surprized that thread stayed up as long as it did.

Utgardloki said:

Well, most of your stuff stays up on the forum, Atgxtg. (What does that screenname refer to, anyway?) Certainly I can probably tell if a post is likely to be deleted due to removal of the thread, usually from the tone of the first post. I'm kind of surprized that thread stayed up as long as it did.

I don't care who'se stuff is being removed. If threads get yannked because the some pople don't want to see anything bad about their game? It's not a forum, it's just a propaganda tool and pep rally.

No more Mongoose products for me.

atgxtg said:
I don't care who'se stuff is being removed. If threads get yannked because the some pople don't want to see anything bad about their game? It's not a forum, it's just a propaganda tool and pep rally.

Overstate much? When a number of our customers raise concerns, we take action, be it activity on the forums, writing in a game, or casting of miniatures.

If you would prefer to support a company that does not listen to its customers and fans, I am sure there are plenty out there.

So much for a "last hurrah and final shoutout", eh? I knew you'd be back.

Heh, hardly. I did say I might stop in once in a while, and I have, about once a week. This time corresponded to a post I thought had some salient points embedded in it, which is why I was surprised when it was deleted. Since I no longer have any interest in the game itself, i mainly pop in to take a look and see if there is anything Glorantha mythos-related or posts related to overall game design and such.

Certainly I can probably tell if a post is likely to be deleted due to removal of the thread, usually from the tone of the first post. I'm kind of surprized that thread stayed up as long as it did.

The thing was, though, that while the tone of the first post may leave something to be desired, in almost all cases, the remainder of the thread develops into something far more palatable. Indeed, some of of the best discussion I've seen here have been on threads that started out somewhat uninspiring.

Mr. Sprange's comments on the recent moderating policies is less than enheartening. If they are going to rely on outside parties to decide what threads to close (instead of their own decisions) I would at least prefer to see them close the thread as opposed to deleting it. No sense in throwing out the baby with the bathwater, after all.

Matt -

At least tell us you made note of the concerns in the thread, and a list of the possible broken rules before deleting it.

It seems that a lot of folks are unhappy with the development of the MRQ system thus far (and to be perfectly clear, I include myself in that assessment). I hope you guys are taking note instead of just dismissing the issues raised as thread deletion would seem to indicate.

atgxtg said:
If threads get yannked because the some pople don't want to see anything bad about their game?

You and I, atgxtg, we've had our go-rounds on this forum. I'm not trying to turn this into another one. But look around you -- if Mongoose was yanking threads because people were saying bad things about their game, how many threads would be left?

If the deleted thread is the one I'm thinking of, it may have been full of errors. I remember the poster remarking how spirits only do damage equal to their damage bonus, but then said that spirits have no damage bonuses because they have no STR or SIZ. True, but the Companion clearly states that spirits' damage bonus is equal to thier CHA + POW. Therefore, they do have a damage bonus.

I honestly don't recall other comments, perhaps it had some good points, but also perhaps people aren't reading as well as they should be before they begin to publicly voice concerns over the mechanics and bash the system. Anyway, I just got my Companion today so I'm going to go read through it now...

Back