Annoyingly 'Cute' or 'Funny' RPG Races

Most Annoying 'Cute' or 'Funny' RPG Race?

• Duck [RQ]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ferengi [Star Trek]

• Gnome [generic]

• Gully Dwarf/Kender/Tinker Gnome [Dragonlance]

• Gungan [Star Wars]

• Hobbit/Halfling [generic]

• Snotling [Warhammer]

• Trid [Jorune]

• Windling [Earthdawn]

• Other [please specify]

• Total voters
Why does almost every RPG seem to have some kind of Scrappy Doo nonhuman?
Dragonlance really excelled with three of the damned things.
Can I make a plea to all games designers not to include this kind of irritant? I know I'm not forced to put them in my own campaigns, but their mere existence is like the inedible garnish on an otherwise acceptable dish...

My personal most-loathed: Ducks. Puts me right off Glorantha, sorry.

JohnLokiBeard said:

All depends on how they are presented, in my campaigns they tend to be thoroughly nasty little things that the PC's fear and avoid if possible. Pobably why the only PC duck in the campaign took the surname 'Darkdrake' and had a very high price on his head after a while.

Nothing cute or funny about them unless you want them to be.

Btw the new Duck miniatures don't look cute either, they look a fairly hardened bunch that should fit in my campaign nicely.

Vadrus

the only PC duck in the campaign took the surname 'Darkdrake' and had a very high price on his head

Hey!! We had a duck who became famed as "The Black Duck" (he had all black feathers)......he was feared throughout the land and also had a high price on his head!!

I hate Gnomes and Kender....

That being said:

Ducks are seriously NOT as funny as some make them out to be. In fact, they are bitter, cynical and generally view the world has having shat all over them.

When the Player's Guide to Glorantha gets out there...you will see...

(rubs hands together maliciously)

...oh yes...they will fear you my little Duck-minions...

-Bry

I'm a bit surprised to see Hobbits/Halflings in there. I suppose the new D&D 'wandering' halflings perhaps, but Hobbits in general have been a staple of most RPGs since the beginning, and I've never envisioned them really as particularly "cute" or "annoying."

Kender, though? I'd walk a mile to step on a Kender.

I don't have that huge background knowledge on Glorantha, so could somebody fill me in on those Ducks? I mean more info than that given in the 'Creatures' chapter of the Main Rulebook of MRQ?

I think they could be funny or better said interesting :)

To answer the poll, I don't know all of the species (don't like the term races that much). Gungans are not cool, but Hobbits, come on guys, they can be fun (to play)!

And I think that Ferengi are a strange sight to behold, but as species okay in Star Trek, especially after being given more background during Deep Space 9's seven seasons. The Ferengi in 'The Next Generation' actually were kind of strange and funny. :) Voted Gungans anyway!

I am voting for (or against?) the HackMaster gnomelings: a cross between gnomes and halflings, gaah :x

JohnLokiBeard said:

I've never understand this line of reasoning. If you don't like ducks, write them out. They aren't a critical race to making Glorantha work like Glorantha. I've run and played in games that do this. Why toss out an excellent world over an extremely minor race that plays a very minor roll.

The other deal here is that there are only a couple thousand, by the book, ducks in the whole world and all located in one small geographical area, so if you play anywhere else in the entire world you won't run into them. It's kind of like writing off the Earth for gaming because you can't stand penguins...not like there are some rather large tracks out there without them! :)

Back