Alternate Systems/House Rules (I don't really like d20)

tete

Mongoose
Ok so I don't like d20. Lone Wolf, although not having a d20 logo is still way to much like d20 for my taste. I was really hoping it would work more like Mutants and Masterminds and less like Dungeons and Dragons or that it would be system less for the most park similar to the Kingdoms of Kalamar main book. Is there anyone out there who really loves Magnamund and has come up with an alternative way of doing things. The only improvement over your standard d20 product in my opion is the magic/psi system and possibly the combinding of similar skills. I was really thrown off by the hit die thing because as I remember the books you started with 30 hit points.

Well, in the books you started out at roughly the equivalent to a Level 4 or 5 character, so the amount of Endurance you have in the books is quite accurate.

I'm not a great fan of D20 either. I've been saturated by it for years, and level-based systems just don't sit as well with me as points-based.

Still, how Lone Wolf has been done, but I understand the whole "I wish it wasn't D20" feeling. Try Guardians of Order, their basic rules system, Tri-Stat, is available as a free download, and they've had several of their titles converted into D20. In fact, almost all of the supplements for their Silver Age Sentinels line comes in a dual-statted form.

So I got books 1-5 from a used book store. One thing I noticed it that endurance is 20+1d10 period. From what I can tell it never goes up. I need to pick up a grey star book in order to see how the endurance score would change with class.
House Rules for my gaming group so far
1. endurance score is fixed. (it does not go up by level)
2. feats are back in (why? because I like them)
3. All attributes start at 10. 30 points to spend on starting attributes, skills and feats. Where a skill rank class skill cost 1 and cross-class cost 2, an attribute point costs 2, and a feat costs 4. You may lower an attribute and gain 2 points providing its final score is 3 or above.
4. You may take Hinderances these work like reverse feats and give you 4 generic points at creation. These are things like Phobias and Vows.

Why not use the Hero System then? The combat mechanics are a little odd, but it's a very thorough point-based RPG system.

tete said:
Ok so I don't like d20. Lone Wolf, although not having a d20 logo is still way to much like d20 for my taste.
Schadrach said:
Why not use the Hero System then? The combat mechanics are a little odd, but it's a very thorough point-based RPG system.
I'm planning a GURPS Lone Wolf, with both Basic Set: Characters and Powers. Anyone interested, did someone already did it? I saw a GURPS 3E conversion on Magnamund.org, but this is all.

Well, here it is.

Schadrach said:

My point exactly. But the combat mechanics are anything but "odd"! They are among the best and well-thought out mechanics I have come across in nearly 25 years of gaming! :)

Back