All aircraft?

resQscooter

Mongoose
Hey guys. Let me first excuse myself for silly comment as I have only played once. I do understand that the general consensus is that aircraft are weak in the strike role. I have been thinking- how about an all aircraft force? It also seems to me that the lower priority levels increase aircraft performance. For instance- patrol level IJN vs USN at 5 points: IJN (all aircraft)->15 flights of B5N Kate torpedo bombers; USN (assuming no aircraft)->best bets(vs. aircraft) are 5 Fletcher class DD or 1 Atlanta class CA and 3 Fletcher class DD. Comments welcome.
regards,
Scott

Might be effective, but three issues:

1. If it doesn't work out on the first salvo, you don't get a second....

2. Your opponent might hit you....

3. I think you'd be sent to wargaming hell (unpainted plastics and rules lawyer opponents) for such a lack of grace....

Dom :roll:

hmmm

I see a gathering of beardy students in your future young glasshopper :)

Seriously thought the game as is designed towards ship combat with aircraft in a supporting role to add some flavour

Please, lemme 'splain...
I would never do this! I love the big guns and actually am quite fond of cruisers and destroyers too. It was merely an excercise in supposition as most of the posts I have read about aircraft bemoan the inadequacies of air power in a war that in essence spelled doom to surface gunnery in favor of massed airstrikes. I certainly did not mean to offend anyone's gaming sensibilities and hope that I have not closed the door on playing with any of you should we meet accross the table.
Best regards,
Scott

I think you'd get eaten by the "3 aircraft attacking" rule...

edit

besides, all the enemy would need to do is go "evasive" for a bit while you lose all your "one shot" weapons...

Chern

I've tried this.
Prince of Wales & Repulse vs. IJN (40) attack flights

So we have a huge cloud of planes peeling off in threes to attack two targets. Even with the British co-operating by not using evasive manoeuvres the IJN inficted a worryingly massive 8 points of damage and one critical (-1 speed)! hmm

OK try again maybe the IJN dice were duff

Second attempt.

this time 6 points of damage but 2 criticals (1 fire and -1 speed)

No it's not the dice, it's the numbers of AD

If you attempt an all air assault on larger warships you are going to need a numerical superiority (in PL) of approx 4-6 to 1 to have any chanvce of winning.

of course you first flight could get very very lucky and get that blow up crtical but it's not likely!

There's a poll on no of aircraft per carrier. It's not the number of flights it's what they can do

Mark

Back