Age of Conan : Hyborian Adventures

Looks sweet! :eek:

They even promise (in the FAQ) that "you won't be sent to kill the local rat population in Age of Conan!".

- thulsa

Awww, fudge. I logged in from work just to post the press release, and there's already a thread about it. :(

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I'm not a big fan of MMORPGs, but I've seen some very good work done on games like City of Heroes and my hope is that a similar level of care is devoted to developing the game. I'll be especially jazzed if they get the subscription model right -- either pay for the software or the monthly gameplay, but not both.

I don't like MMORPGs (ridiculous, repetitive leveling is not my idea of a good game), so I hope this one is diffrent. With quests other than "kill 70 wolves and 120 bats", without creatures and bandits standing pointlessly in random places and so on.

EDIT: These screenshots kick ass. Really, astonishing work and a hint of some fine adventures on the rooftops.

Those screenshots look killer!

Check out the details in the equipment!

I'd love this game, but have an aversion to PC games (haven't bought one since Baldur's Gate), and I loathe mmorpgs. :(

When's that Xbox Conan game coming stateside!!!!!

The art and screenshots look great !!! I am not against online games, but I can see how it may not truly capture the feel of the Hyborian age. I hope they stay true to Howard.

The Warlord said:
When's that Xbox Conan game coming stateside!!!!!

Hey Warlord, I'm not sure about the Xbox version since it's DVD format (?), but I went over to ebay and grabbed myself the UK PC version of the game since I got tired of waiting. Works great, awesome game! It only cost me around $14 with shipping. I just checked and the Xbox versions are just as cheap. I recommend using paypal to avoid currency problems. :)

Back to the game, what kind of critter is that in the wallpaper?

thulsa said:
Looks sweet! :eek:

They even promise (in the FAQ) that "you won't be sent to kill the local rat population in Age of Conan!".

- thulsa

I dunno man, I figure even the rats would be in deadly proportions in the age of Conan.

The Warlord: I did a quick check, and it doesn't seem like Conan: The Dark Axe will be released in the US. And if you have a normal US Xbox, the European version won't work. You need to mod your Xbox to play PAL games.

Turim, Fyrestryke,

Need to mod my Xbox? Great. I hear modded Xbox systems get blocked on Xbox Live. Is the game worth modding for? And...uh...can ya'll point me in the right direction on how to actually go about said mod?

The Warlord: You can play retail games on Xbox Live with a modded Xbox. Although I enjoyed Conan, I personally don't think this game alone is worth modding your Xbox for. If you want to know about modding you can try this site: www.xbox-scene.com

The Warlord said:
Turim, Fyrestryke,

Need to mod my Xbox? Great. I hear modded Xbox systems get blocked on Xbox Live. Is the game worth modding for? And...uh...can ya'll point me in the right direction on how to actually go about said mod?

I wouldn't say it's that good. To Mod or not to Mod is up to you. (I wouldn't, myself...) That's why I was unsure in my original post as to whether the UK version would work. :) Thanks for the info on the UK version, Turim. ;)

But, I can tell you that the UK version of the PC game works just fine and doesn't seem to need much of a powerhouse PC to run. That might be the way to go. Plenty of copies of the PC-CDROM version on ebay. ;)

MMORPG's be damned! for the last few years they have been sucking up all the great PC RPG's and I think that sucks. And now, AoC as online. Probably never see a decent Conan themed single player game either...DEATH TO MMORPG's.

tim

MMORPG worlds are a perfect reflection of Earth - they are designed for far less players than they actually have.

Back