Age of Conan game needs your help

Ash-Amon-Tep

Mongoose
I just thought that I would say that if people here with some extra time on their hands should check out the the games site, and maybe even post advice to the developers on how to make this game actually true to the Hyborian age. For those that have'nt looked to much into the game so far, I think the developers have no clue what their doing. They made a class dedicated to derketo playable by cimmerians but not stygians, and a class that turns into a bear. a bear? playable by stygians but not cimmerians. I'm just really interested in maybe help nugde this game a little closer to a proper represention of conan and his world.

I waded through their boards a bit and have come to the conclusion that the developers obviously don't care.

They are openly scornful of those who want it to be faithful to Howard.

They are dedicated to producing a game that will have all the usual crap that gamers are used to.

The "class" structure being used makes no sense in Howardian terms, but they fit the standard gaming templates so they stay.

It's really depressing.

I've not had a look at the forum, but what I've seen of several trailers, as well as the artwork, looks fantastic. Other than Picts placed near Tortage, as well as Aquilonians having ships, I've not heard of any other discrepancys from canon.

For those interested in the artwork, try this gallery:

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/743/743392/imgs_1.html

There are some really nice examples of architexture.

For those interested in the artwork, try this gallery:

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/743/743392/imgs_1.html

Look, there are Orcs in the Hyborian age now.

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/743/743392/img_3545368.html

I think I'm going to be sick.

Well. to be fair, there were alot of sub-human monsters in Howard's work.

Even still, if half of what you say is true, then this is truly a shame.

That is a Frost Giant, indeed.

Guys - I've been working on this game for well over a year; other Mongoose people have been involved as well at various levels. While the process of adapting Hyboria for a mass-market online computer game does require some compromises and changes, REH's stories are the foundation and guidling lights of the game.

msprange said:
On the flip side, Mongoose writers have also been working on this game. . .

All I can say is I wish it had been Mongoose who was developing the game or head of development in some regards to content. I just love the Conan RPG. I haven't been excited about a RPG in some 20 years! I am about this game.

I think Mongoose has been spot on with Howard in nearly every single instance. And, if something was required to be added or balanced it was done in an unmistakable Howardish fashion.

I just can't say enough about the guys at Mongoose working on this Conan RPG. But I do want to say, thank you!

Mongoose Gar said:
Guys - I've been working on this game for well over a year; other Mongoose people have been involved as well at various levels.

I thought it was. Dunno why, maybe because the game features Corruption...

Well, I don't generally do MMORPGS, but this one I'll look into at least.

Although those of us who try for a 'Howardian" feel in our games, I'm just glad to see people playing in Hyboria AT ALL.

I don't know about you guys, but we don't have people falling off shelves around here for Hyborian games.

Any exposure is good exposure...and we can ridicule them later.

Orcs in Hyboria might work as Neandertals...at least there arent gender-confused elves in hobbit-made mitril with longswords..

"In a world where an tyrannical pansy elf sits on the throne of the Empire of Aquilonia..only one person can stop him...it's Conan Baggins..He has nowhere to hide. Nowhere to run to. He will fight the biggest battle of his life. The battle to slay the Last Unicorn, fight Ogre Ogre, and join forces with the Demons from Perv to overcome his speech impediment of Mythic Proprotions and social g[r]ayses of the the less-than-manly faerie kingdom..he will become Conan the Sickening Pastichette. Only in failing children's puppet theatres everywhere. Some side-effects are possible, such as vomiting, nausea, headache, and the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Puchase your copy today!"

Credit to Don LaFontaine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_LaFontaine

jh

That makes me feel alot better that people who have worked on the rpg are in on the video game at least a little bit. I just want this to be the real hyboria not some world of warcraft incarnation. I will say the places and people look great, The ships are great, and stygia is creepy. Some of the previewed weapons were a little over the top. I guess not the axe so much, but the double headed pole arm, nothing like that has ever really existed. Love the crappy broken claymore thought. The orc is a frost giant, their based off Cary Nord's frost giants in the comic, looks just like'em.

Mongoose Gar said:
That is a Frost Giant, indeed.

Guys - I've been working on this game for well over a year; other Mongoose people have been involved as well at various levels. While the process of adapting Hyboria for a mass-market online computer game does require some compromises and changes, REH's stories are the foundation and guidling lights of the game.

I belive I have read a Dev statement that Mongoose is helping with the story writing. Is this true, I hope so. Also can you possibly say where Mongoose may have positive input elsewhere? Good news is also welcome. :D

I read a section about the start of the game. After escaping your slave vessel, due to a Stygian attack, you are washed up upon a tropical island. A fisherman explains that the best way for you to have your shackles removed, as well as the broken oar still attached to them, is to travel through the jungle to nearby Tortage.

This all seems not just in-canon, so to speak, but also has an extremely heavy Hyborian flavour. The only clash with this, seems to be the Pictish villages which apparently block your path to Tortage :S. I have hope the tester was mistaken, and these are wild tribes of jungle natives, rather than Picts. Also, you are on an Aquilonian vessel before being attacked. I may be wrong on this point, but I could have sworn Aquilonia have no fleet. It's a land locked state!

I took one look at the amount of effort that has been put into the artwork, and was sold. It seems a large amount of time has been used to create individual flavours for each race. The reason that the Cimmerian's sport rather Greek looking helmets? Well, Atlantis was extremely Greek like, meaning a few elements have been crossed over somewhat. ;)

I think that the Corinthian helmets you see on AoE website are really cool. This is how I envision eq in Conan, a mix of ancient, medieval and fantasy.

No, my big beef with the game so far is the demons. There are a lot of demons presented, and they don't look like the amorphous, lovecraftian horros I've always equated with Hyboria, but the standard, run of the mill diabloesque demons. A letdown.

Love the flying monkey though.

Regarding the pict village, well if there's an explanation for it I'm okay with it. I can easily imagine picts crossing down south to settle various islands in canoes.

The Gamespy article got the nationalities reversed - you start as a slave on a Stygian galley, and you're sunk by an Aquilonian ship. (Given it's the opening scene of the game, we didn't want to complicate things by saying something like 'Cursed Argossean-mercenary-ship-in-the-service-of-King-Conan' :)).

As for the Picts, check out Howard's 'The Hyborian Age' essay. The Picts do have a tradition of island-hopping, which has been revived. They're a recent arrival on Tortage, and the reason for being them being there is revealed in the game.

And I'm really going to shut up now, before Funcom zaps me for talking without asking permission first. :)

Back