Adventure Idea requires Assistance

Hopeless

Mongoose
So after rereading the tropes page for Deep Rising I got a nugget of an idea for a game but it needs shall we say some coaxing let alone just to check that I'm not ignoring some pertinent details.

So the basic idea for the game is that a Traveller crew are hired to help a retired former Admiral with the exploration of a star system whose coordinates he has uncovered but due to some peculiarities in the area they can only reach it by jump from one specific system.

Once there they discover their jump drive has gone offline due to an unspecified fault and whilst its being fixed the rest get to go exploring the very unusual solar system.

The system is actually the interior of an organic Dyson Sphere more of an enormous egg housing its own ecology and the remains of the numerous attempts to explore this unknown "system" in truth it was isolated many millennia ago because it was one of a number of such eggs that eventually "hatched" devouring their new home before rebuilding their egg and venturing out again.

When a ship jumped in it made use of materials gathered at the system including a semi-functional jump gate that allows them entry but there's no way to use it to jump back out and the process of entering disables the incoming ships jump drive at least until someone realises why.

The initial jump actually clears a lot of space inside the egg allowing the new arrival to assume they're inside normal space and the sensors assume the rocky exterior is just an enormous Oort cloud or asteroid belt so deep that its blocking their sensors.

There's a few "worlds" namely rock worlds that due to the jump effect and the evaporated organic material has the side effect of creating a breathable atmosphere at least until the egg interior recovers.

Then its a matter of how fast they can get back to the ship, get the jump drive operational and jump back to safety knowing that this thing now knows they're out there and unless they're paranoid it now has the means to escape its prison and reach a system so it can finally "hatch" cue graphic destruction!

So what I wanted to know is;

1) Is this a suitable adventure premise?
2) Am I missing anything?
3) Would it be a bit much if I threw in that the retired Admiral has no intention of bringing most of his hired hands back with him so he can keep the mission a secret?
4) I was picturing the main ship being large enough to hold 2 separate jump capable ships along with a flotilla of shuttles and drones to function as sensor probes.
One of the two ships should belong to the PCs and I was picturing a Scout or something of similar size with the other being the Admiral's own personal ship.
The idea is that the main ship will inevitably be destroyed by the egg sack refilling, but the other two might be able to escape barring whatever happened between them heading down to the world below and realising what's going on..
Okay I was thinking the PC ship would have to flee the main ship and come down to the rock world to rescue the PCs' along with whatever survived of the Admiral's team but have yet to decide whether I should go with the Admiral abandoning them down there and their ship heads down to pick them up whilst the Admiral's ship is unable to escape forcing him to try and seize the PCs' ship as its his only means left to escape.

Am I thinking too much on this?

It sounds like you've got a lot of interesting ideas, but I'm having trouble visualising the setup. I'm not quite sure what this thing is, is it a Dyson Sphere or not? Why don't you actualy describe it's structure, size, etc because from your description I've got no idea.

What is this jump gate? How does it relate to Jump technology, who created it? Why can a ship only jump in from one system? Jump drives usualy don't have anything to do with Jump gates so that bit doesn't really make any sense to me.

What is the egg sack and why is it refilling? why does it need to? What with?

I'm not trying to be negative, It's just that I feel like I've got a few random dots from your post, but I'm missing the threads that connect them up.

Simon Hibbs

Been advised to work on the introduction so figure I'd test out a few ideas there!

1) the PCs are contacted by an old friend (check their list of contacts as its unlikely they'd leave themselves open to that.

So the old friend wants to recruit them on a treasure hunt, a few months ago he and his ship came across a crashed ship whilst delving within the belt. Although the military secured the ship before they could claim salvage they did check aboard and the friend has an ingot of platinum and secured some data crystals which he spent most of his time hacking into.

He now has the coordinates for a system where there's a mining settlement however using what little official details he can find on the system he has learnt its now uninhabited and apparently hasn't been checked over by any of the larger mining concerns.

His information includes the location of refineries and massive storehouses that for all evidence has remained undiscovered and he has the means to locate and get inside...

2) The PCs have been secured and forcibly volunteered to help with an exploration mission to a recently uncovered star system.

Due to being unable to properly survey the system since its hidden within a massive asteroid filled nebula and any probes jumped in have failed to return so a manned mission has been established.
Since no one volunteers for something so precarious they turned to less legal means of recruiting the crew.

Once inside it really is a treasure lode but as noted in the original message in this thread its eventually revealed why it was abandoned with the message and the coordinates intended as a warning to keep it isolated....

3) They wasn't heading for this system their target has a brown dwarf star and unknown to them their jump path intersects with the disabled egg and they end up jumping inside ala an interdiction field which is located on one of the rock worlds and they need to disable it to be able to jump back out.
However doing so means the egg can also escape the nebula quite probably in pursuit of the PCs....

simonh said:
It sounds like you've got a lot of interesting ideas, but I'm having trouble visualising the setup. I'm not quite sure what this thing is, is it a Dyson Sphere or not? Why don't you actualy describe it's structure, size, etc because from your description I've got no idea.

The original idea is that these "eggs" travel to an inhabited star system, hatch devour everything within using the scavenged materials to rebuild the egg so it can thus travel to another star system.
I figure they'd use any materials present including ancient jump gates and use them to travel to the next inhabited system the idea that if none present it enters suspended animation until it identifies such a target and reawakens using the absorbed jump gate to reach that next target.

What is this jump gate? How does it relate to Jump technology, who created it? Why can a ship only jump in from one system? Jump drives usualy don't have anything to do with Jump gates so that bit doesn't really make any sense to me.

The idea is that jump drives were developed after discovering an ancient jump gate so they were reverse engineered enough to create a smaller version but still related enough that they work with the jump gate absorbed within the egg and has a devastating effect since its effectively awakened an ancient terror that was isolated inside the nebula.

Your point makes it clear that this needs to be made clear to the players' to avoid that coming up in mid game.

What is the egg sack and why is it refilling? why does it need to? What with?

I'm not trying to be negative, It's just that I feel like I've got a few random dots from your post, but I'm missing the threads that connect them up.

Simon Hibbs

That's okay that's part of the reason I set up this thread.

An earlier version of this adventure idea involved the Kafer being released from an isolated system thereby causing their invasion in a variation of the T2300 setting I was considering.

The egg idea came up mostly thanks to the Kill the Moon episode from Doctor Who and the Disney Atlantis movie where I got wondering what if there was a biological version of a Dyson Sphere that carried an embryo to an inhabited system where it hatched once it detected life and began devouring and scavenging everything as it began the process of building the next egg that moves on once the system has been emptied continuing the process.

With the idea that the noise we produce might end up drawing the wrong sort of attention leaving me wondering what, how and why that might happen.

I should point out it took reading the tv tropes to Deep Rising that started this all off the bit about dr who and the Disney movie happened when I realised they played a part and it went from there!

Been advised this could be run as a variation of Prison Planet with escape only possible if they deactivate the power source for the device disabling the jump drive albeit there would be parasites running around hampering everyone visualising Star ship Troopers when he mentioned that!

Apparently he's a fan of the original T2300 series which was a surprise as this is the first time we got talking about Traveller!

Back