ACTA 2e: Fighters vs. Stealth

dmcgee1

Mongoose
It is stated that fighters declare all weapons fire as if they were one ship. Further all weapons fire is resolved, as if they were separate weapon systems on the same ship. Does this mean that there is only one roll for stealth, no matter how many fighters are firing at the same target?

Ex.: 3 Flights of Firebolts are lined up on a Vaarl. One fighter rolls for lock-on, but fails. Does this mean that the other two flights automatically fail to achieve lock-on?

Conversely, does this mean that if one fighter rolls, and is successful, all fighters now have lock-on?

What if one or more of the flights is in base contact? Do the other fighters (not in base-contact) have to roll for lock-on?

Or, is it that all fighters roll, individually, for lock-on?

Have I not asked the question correctly? I have seen other questions answered, yet this remains unanswered.

Is it under consideration? Is it being ignored because it has been answered elsewhere?

Any answer would be nice.

No, fighters in B5 are all handled as individual ships, so you technically are supposed to roll stealth for each individual flight when they try to target a stealth ship. Note, any of those fighters that are in base contact do not roll any stealth, and -do- grant the stealth breaking targeting bonus to any other fighters that roll 'later' on the ship in question.

In practice, generally you just bulk roll any stealth rolls for all fighters, and roll all the ones that break the stealth at once.

Hang on Laranos I know that is the intent, and how it was in 1e... but the wording of the rules does say that for firing purposes, treat all fightes as separate weapons systems of one ship. One ship firing many weapons systems at one target would only make 1 stealth roll.

From this it does seem that, against intuition and 1e, all fighters have just 1 stealth roll.

Burger said:
Hang on Laranos I know that is the intent, and how it was in 1e... but the wording of the rules does say that for firing purposes, treat all fightes as separate weapons systems of one ship. One ship firing many weapons systems at one target would only make 1 stealth roll.

From this it does seem that, against intuition and 1e, all fighters have just 1 stealth roll.

Actually, the wording is
...- in effect, all of your flights act as a single ship in the Attack Phase, with each flight being one weapon system.
(emphasis my own)

They never actually say that all fighters are one ship, simply that they all fire at the same time in the turn sequence just like a single ship. This is another example of someone trying to make things simpler for new players without considering the consequences of not being precise...

ShopKeepJon

Exactly...

Starting' to like this ShopKeepJon fella... he thinks like I do, but can actually communicate in a way that folks don't wonder if he's a monkey like me.

Ripple

Each flight of fighters are treated as having separate weapon systems from one another - roll Stealth for each one as if they were separate ships.

How do I know when this has been "officially" answered? To me, there does not, yet, seem to be a definitive answer. I posted the question to get an answer. I did not intend to start a discussion, as that is for what the forums are designed.

Forgive me if I sound a bit peeved. I would just like an official answer.

Thank you, in advance.

neko said:
dmcgee1 said:
How do I know when this has been "officially" answered?
You notice the Mongoose in Mongoose Steele.
You achieve a higher level of enlightenment.

And so begins my enlightenment. Thank you, very much.

Mongoose Steele, please, accept my apology for ignorance. Dense grey matter (and the bone surrounding it) run in my DNA.

Back