ACTA 2E - All Stop and Pivot

dmcgee1

Mongoose
I couldn't find this elsewhere - forgive me if this has already been answered.

Come About allows a ship an extra turn, or it allows an extra 45° on a given turn.

Pivot states that a ship may turn up to double its turn rate. If a ship has a turn score of 2/45°, does this mean that that ship may turn up to 2/90° (4/45°)?

Basically, the term "turn rate" is at best weakly defined in the rules, at worst, undefined. Does "turn rate" mean the full rate of turn for a movement round, or only the partial rate of any individual turn?

I can hardly imagine a a situation where AS&P is better then doing 2/45 in one turn or 2/45 (1/45) in two turns. So it is almost pointless to do A&P unless you have done something incredibly wrong in a previous turn.

Which would be it's use. Too close to an edge, either because you went there on purpose or because you were Adrift. Too close to an asteroid field because that position gets a near death ship into a spot it cannot be shot at.

Just because you can't see a use for a rule in a 'perfect' plan doesn't mean you won't discover that use in a tight spot.

Ripple

I'd rather stop my Omega or Warlock then running into an Asteroid Field if I would have the choice. And there is certainly a use for the action as you can snipe from a far. I could still turn my Apollo and fire the missiles.

Useful for any ship with long range weapons if you want to perform station keeping and not be completely out maneuvered. It also allows ships to make much tighter maneuvers then the 2/45 would, precise line up along or between asteroid fields or particular planets come to mind.

Hans Olo said:
I can hardly imagine a a situation where AS&P is better then doing 2/45 in one turn or 2/45 (1/45) in two turns.

When you find yourself about to run off the board when you fdon't wwant to, happened to me on a couple of ocassions, pesky Gravitic shifters.

LBH

Long range for my Sharlin, sitting in a dust cloud. Don't want to leave the dust cloud but want to keep the enemy in my front arc. BAMMO! All Stop and Pivot and I am ready to blow up another enemy.

When this came up, the change to allowing one weapon to fire, we almost chucked the game based on the new winning strategy as far as we saw it. Star castle for the long range snipers. We saw all interest in maneuver dropping in any competitive game. So far we really haven't been far wrong, we've just been refusing to play that way to have some fun.

Ripple

Back