AAR: Hostile Intent

Scipio

Mongoose
The Scenario is Hostile Intent with fory players and 10 points battle. Just one point plus scouts starts on board with the rest entering as reinforcements through the jump gate, hyperspace or from offboard on the right die roll

Narn 1 have the mission to control the jumpgate
Narn 2 have the mission to eliminate 50% more than his own losses.
Vree have the mission to control the jumpgate
Shadows shall destroy 50% more than his own losses.

No player can win before the end of turn 4.

Setup:
Narn 1 furtherst away to the left
Narn 2 furtherst away to the right
Shadows closest to the left
Vree closest to the right
IMG_0275.jpg

Shadow scouts skulks among the astroids
IMG_0276.jpg

Narn 1 prepared to advance
IMG_0277.jpg

Narn 2 skulks in an astroid field
IMG_0278.jpg

Vree skulks behind an astroid field
IMG_0279.jpg

Runda 1: Shadows sneaks forward in the shadow of the planet and Narn 1 advances in the direction of the jump gate.
IMG_0281.jpg

Runda 1: Vree sneaks forward in concealment of the astroid field and Narn 2 hides out in the astroid field.
IMG_0282.jpg

Runda 2: Shadows gets both of his Shadow ships (one ancient and one young) in reinforcements and they appear from nothing behind the Narn 1 who just has had Armageddon ship and a G'Vrahn war ship jump in from hyperspace.
At the same time the shadow scouts does a 90 degree left turn and pounces forward to attack from the cover of the planet.
IMG_0285.jpg

Runda 2: Vree skulks behind the astroid field and Narn 2 hesitantly sneaks forward toward the jumpgate.
IMG_0287.jpg

Runda 2: Some shots are fired between the shadow scouts and Narn 1. One shadow scout dies and so does one of the Narn scouts.
After that the shadow Ship (ancient) fires his big beam into the G'Vrahn and woops up 15 hits for a total of 90-ish damage!
The undamaged G'Vranen is cut in two on the first shot.
IMG_0288.jpg

Runda 3: Worried by the enormous explosion near the planet both Narn 2 and Vree decides to jump in with their reinforcements and attack the shadows near the planet to prevent a Shadow victory. An alliance is forged with all against the shadows.
IMG_0289.jpg

Runda 3: Two shadow scouts succumbs and the Shadow ship (young) gets a beating. A couple of more Narn 1 ships expires to Shadow Scouts.
IMG_0290.jpg

Runda 4: The alliance is still holding with the narn+narn+vree near the planet and everyone fires shot after shot into the shadow fleet.
IMG_0292.jpg

Runda 4: But near the jumpgate the Vree jumps in with reinforcements and attacks the guarding narn 2 ships. Vree has broken the deal and tries to win the scenario by a backstab on their allies!iot.
IMG_0293.jpg

The big Shadow ships tries to hold the distance but it does not work out.
Despite warnings from the shadows to Vree and Narn 1 the fires all they have into the the Shadow Ship (young) which then easily finishes the shadow ship of with one shot from the G'Vrahn and with that Narn 2 achieves his victory conditions an wins the game at the end of turn 4.
IMG_0294.jpg

As a little consolation the Shadow Ship (ancient) fires into the Vree War ship and cuts it in two in a shower of sparks. But it's too little too late.
IMG_0295.jpg

Great report, love the pictures. Hope the knife in the back was sharp and didn't sting too much as it went in.

Ripple

Well as I were the Shadows and I just laughed and pointed fingers and said "Told you so!".
I mean, what can you expect from a Vree?
Strife is the name of the game and with that in mind I really were the moral victor. :D

Hehe, looks like a fun game. Glad to see some backstabbing, it is all too easy in a multi-player game for one person to be picked on and wiped out early!

great batrep guys, better luck next time forces of evil :D .

ps. where are the rules for this scenario, i used to know but cn no longer remember

why does everyone think the Shadows are evil?

They just want to help you achieve your full potential :wink:

During the time of the show i always thought the Shadows were evil.

However when my one brain cell kicked in, in actual fact the Vorlons are far more evil than the Shadows.

The Shadows merely expound, (and actively promote), the doctrine that the weak shall perish. Lets just say that this is a policy that in general the real world Human race has followed for quite some time, and in evolutionary terms probably got us where we are today. (We are natural predators after all). Better creating points of strife with the aim of at least making the victors stronger, (there is progress here for the winners), than the incidious approach the Vorlons take, making themselves out as gods to the younger races, gene manipulation etc. The Vorlon approach is to stagnate any races progress. Stifling racial progress is the true evil here.

Better the Shadows in my book.

(edit Wow - Your simple question must have hit a nerve there Da Boss)

I don't think either are good or evil and as I understand it, nor does JMS. :)

However I tend to agree that in the longer term the Vorlons are actually worse for the development of races. I think that he Shadows would be happy to see powers take varied paths to greatness but the Vorlons would only be happy to hand over the galaxy to ones that were exactly the same as themselves.............

Order and Chaos -its dangerous for either to have total accendancy.....

but I do so prefer the Shadows......................

Problem is, Shadows and Vorlons both achieve the opposite of their objectives. Shadows kick over the ant nest, which makes the younger races band together to defeat the common enemy. Vorlons tell them to play nice, which makes them fight amongst themselves over petty things. So really the Vorlons cause more chaos than the Shadows!

I agree that neither Shadows nor Vorlons were either good or evil - the big difference between B5 and a lot of shows is that there are no definite good guys and bad guys (apart perhaps from the B5 crew themselves). B5 deals more with shades of grey, not in pure black and white.

The Shadows' case is helped by the fact that we only heard their side of the story (plus Lorien's views); the Vorlons never invited any of our heroes round for a cup of tea and a chat.

I sometimes wonder if the Shadows deliberately set up President Clark and the Centauri to be knocked down. Clark, in particular, was definitely in favour of law and order, and should have been a better candidate for Vorlon assistance. But his tyrannical regime was practically asking for a violent overthrow, i.e. the sort of conflict the Shadows were trying to promote. Likewise, their assistance to the Centauri was just to stir up war with the other Younger Races; they weren't too bothered whether the Centauri ended up winning.

I'm not so sure about the Vorlons causing more chaos than the Shadows - true, the Younger Races did fight among themselves, to some extent encouraged by the Shadows. On the other hand, if they banded together to defeat the common enemy (encouraged by the Vorlons), they still had their ant nests kicked over, still had their war (against the Shadows), and still evolved.

And in the end, after the end of the Great War, the Younger Races did rebuild stronger and better. Maybe the Shadows won after all...

At this time of year, it's worth noting that Santa works for the Shadows. He has his associates who tell him who's been naughty or nice, and he always asks "What do you want?" :)

Adrian H - Santa - Yeah!! see what you mean and the colour red ties in well with my previous post, obviously driven by chaos.

I don't think the whole Vorlon/Shadow custodian of the younger races thing happened the way its described at all in the show. I suspect it was something more like this;

- Secret quarterly meeting of the "other" ancient races -

"I see those !!**, Vorlons and Shadows are at it again "What do you want"; "Who do you trust", I'm sick of all of it."

"Tell you what, lets go somewhere and leave them behind, somewhere vague so they can't find us again."

"What down the shops?"

"No they would'nt fall for that one again"

"How about - Beyond the Rim"

"Yeah that sounds mysterious & important enough"

"Lets give them a job, to make sure they don't follow us, something trumped up and trivial"

"How about appointing an "Official Custodian of the Younger Races"

"Sounds Great, & better still, just for a laugh, let's give them both the same job title"

"Ok Lorien you drew the short straw, so, just to be on the safe side, you go and hide in the Shadows basement for the next few millenia to keep an eye on them, gives us all time to hide so even if they then do go out "there" they will never find us."

and so it became; "The Dawn of a New Age"

Burger said:
LOL... I guess the translation for "Zog" is now clear... "Bugger off, I'm trying to hide!"

Either that or "Oh hell, they've found me!!"

or maybe

"Damm, knew I should've gone beyond the rim with everybody else"

:lol:

I loved the scenario, I was the backstabing Vree. :D

The problem we discoverd was that when we reached turn 4 we had two winners. So we figured that narn won on acount of most points still in game. Counting the ships in hyprespace.

Back