A walrus?

Mark_Gedak

Mongoose
I'm reading in the LWRPG book:

Baknar appear to be walruses with forelegs and sharp claws.

Damned if I didn't flip open my Caverns of Kalte and look at the multitude of pictures of the Baknar, and to me, they say polar bear not walrus. I'm think the first two clues are the extremely thick coat and lack of tusks. If I have to go on, like the fact that they have two legs like a bear and not a flipper like a walrus. Like that they rise up on those legs to attack unlike flippers. Anyone else think so?

This is probably one of those instances where the description changed between the original books and August's notes from Dever; like with the stoneworm and the burrowcrawler, for example. It's simple enough to tweak the description and stats, if you're so inclined.

Despair said:
I'm reading in the LWRPG book:

Baknar appear to be walruses with forelegs and sharp claws.

Damned if I didn't flip open my Caverns of Kalte and look at the multitude of pictures of the Baknar, and to me, they say polar bear not walrus. I'm think the first two clues are the extremely thick coat and lack of tusks. If I have to go on, like the fact that they have two legs like a bear and not a flipper like a walrus. Like that they rise up on those legs to attack unlike flippers. Anyone else think so?

Baknars always seemed like the abominable snowman on crack to me. How does that thing even slightly resemble a bear in your mind?

I just find it the picture to beastal for a abomible (damn, can't spell) snowman. Plus I think the ostrels and gallings the baknar eats are shore birds so polar bearish seemed correct to me.

Polar Bear, then rears to attack

while we're on this subject may i draw attention to the storgh, a creature so powerful it can eat Lone Wolf's older brother for supper.
Now I'm absolutely certain storghs are only supposed to have only one head. there WAS one with two heads in the Legends of Lonewolf, but it was part of a fable (and it always argued with itself so it died of starvation)

Back