A Question of Iranistan

Walkurë

Mongoose
I recently went to GenCon SoCal. and won a sixteen dollar auction for the complete Al-Qadim boxed sets. now i mainly got them cause i collect pred Wotc D&D stuff. but i was alos thinking it could enrich my conan games. yes i know its very high fantasy, a la arabian night/sinbad. And I would be toning it down allot but i was wondering if the setting matched the iranistani culture at all or any other of the eastern hyborean nations for that matter. In any case i'm glad i got it and any ones thoughts would be greatly apreciated

"enrich": Let me be the first to call him on this. I think Hyboria is quite rich enough. No need for further development. :D
Anyway, have fun. 8)

cool it down. i know it's rich very rich infact. not saying the settings lacking in anyway just from a GM's prep veiw if the cultures match i got city of delight's boxed set with a full on map that would be nice to have(if it works culturally and with the tweaks i will put "Al-Qadim" through to better blend with "Hyborea" not the other way around. anyway don't burn me for asking

no sweat. so as per my qestion Iranistan would AQ fit with some good tweaking and shoe horning. I know iranistan is M. eastern reading The People of the Black Circle ATM vendhya/ afgulistan. haven't got anything from iranistan yet though and i can't remember any info from the core rule book pertaining to the nation and it's people.

Walkurë said:
I recently went to GenCon SoCal. and won a sixteen dollar auction for the complete Al-Qadim boxed sets.
Sixteen bucks?! I ... hate ... you :evil:

Lucky bastard

now i mainly got them cause i collect pred Wotc D&D stuff. but i was alos thinking it could enrich my conan games. yes i know its very high fantasy, a la arabian night/sinbad. And I would be toning it down allot but i was wondering if the setting matched the iranistani culture at all or any other of the eastern hyborean nations for that matter. In any case i'm glad i got it and any ones thoughts would be greatly apreciated
Well, obviously the level of magic and magi-technology is an issue. That was a dnd setting after all. But other than that, yeah it sounds like a good source of inspiration for adventures in Iranistan in particular and also maybe parts of eastern Shem and the desert running from Shem to Turan to the Himelian mountains (in other words "Asia Minor"). If you want some cross-over into "crusader kingdoms" then you also have Khoraja and Khauran to work with as well.

Hope that helps.

Heya - I bought it for exactly that...FLAVOUR!

After reading it through I was a little disappointed that I couldn't fit
more of it into my Shem campaign, but it has lots of little bits &
pieces that you can use for flavour...words, clothing styles, weaponry
etc.

As for Iranistan, well, in my mind it definitely has a Persian feel to
it, so some Arabic style stuff will be useful (NOTE - I stress the 'in my
mind' comment), but won't tell the whole story.

Happy gaming.

Walkurë said:
I recently went to GenCon SoCal. and won a sixteen dollar auction for the complete Al-Qadim boxed sets. now i mainly got them cause i collect pred Wotc D&D stuff. but i was alos thinking it could enrich my conan games. yes i know its very high fantasy, a la arabian night/sinbad. And I would be toning it down allot but i was wondering if the setting matched the iranistani culture at all or any other of the eastern hyborean nations for that matter. In any case i'm glad i got it and any ones thoughts would be greatly apreciated
With some works, you can fit the Al-Qadim modules in Irannistan, Turan and Shem. The boxed set adventures are varied enough to be put almost everywhere in these regions, in particular:
- ruined kingdoms is for high level and can be set in a remote part of the mountains.
- cities of bones can be located in any desert, even in the eastern part of Stygia.
- I would say the city of deligh box is more appropriate to Aghrapur (capital of Turan).

Walkurë said:

With the same intent I bought some months ago sveral Al Qadim products via ebay. But what I have read so far (Assassin Mountian, Corsairs, City of Delight), it doesn't blend with CONAN too well. I stopped reading bored after these three items, so maybe the Cities of Bone mentioned by the King may be worth a try.

Back