A question about charm...

Obbehobbe

Mongoose
Is there any rulings in any book regarding charm, how to charm another person using CHA checks and/or skills?

If not, how do you simulate it in detail (not just rolling a single CHA check or someting).

Thanks!

I'm not sure if it's exactly what you are looking for, but there is a fair bit in Hyboria's Fallen, especially under the Temptress.

Later sections also cover seducing characters via Diplomacy and Bluff, a certain amount of modification due to Disguise and Gather Information through pillow talk... and a few feats around the area.

The core rules for diplomacy cover charming people, after all you're basically changing the attitude of someone.

As for how I'd simulate it well I'd ask the player(s) what was being done in the "charm" attempt and have them RP it out a bit. I'd them give them some modifiers to their diplomacy roll based upon that.

You can also chain a few rolls together. For example they might try to woo a princess pretending that they're interested in her, make a bluff check with some circumstance modifiers to persuade her that they're really interested.

Then they could move on to the diplomacy roll with maybe a +2 if the bluff worked and another +2 or so if they put some effort into playing out their approach.

Can an NPC use Diplomacy vs. the PCs???

I was wondering that a few months ago. I wrote up a Kothian Seductress and really bumped up her CHA and Diplomacy skill. The idea was to change the PCs attitudes into helping her out/going on missions (even though they might normally suspect she is up to no good).

...Yeah I know you guys don't trust her, but, she IS completely naked, giving you free booze and food, AND she rolled really well on her Diplomacy check...

Sure, just don't tell the group that they have to comply based on her die roll. Be flippant about it and just say that she's made a very compelling argument and that they feel no reason not to belive that she means what she says.

If they act otherwise, barring evidence to the contrary, they don't get awarded XP unless the players play it as if they are under her sway. Either that, or be more sever and dock them or have her poison one of them for being an upstart and blame it on "agents working against her."

You have to sometimes have that little "player knowledge versus character knowledge" talk withyour croup to varrying degrees of GM seriousness. :twisted:

Back