A mildly sane explaination of canon discussion

captainjack23

Cosmic Mongoose
I thought that I'd post this here, rather than in the treads that inspired it, as sort of a one sided FAQ for newcomers encountering the recent spate of posts, and invective, about the subject.

The overall issue is this: people like traveller, like its history and scope, and want sequels and explanation. When obliged, there are often inconsistencies, often that have arisen simply as the result of another topic being pondered at length by a fan of the subject. So the question arises, in a fictional world, how does one determine what is and isn't real for the setting.

One way is to badger and pester the Author for details about one of the many projects that he or she has created, to the exclusion of all the others, generally until he becomes either reclusive or kills the character in question -or the storyline.

The other is compare what is written and try to determine a synthesis; but to do so, one must have some kind of calibration point (as it were): what is true, and isn't true as a final court of appeal.

This isn't new to traveller - in fact its a well developed field in several areas of study, of which two are useful here: History & Literature.

The short version is this, especially with regard to literature: There are three types of information, classed by their basic reliability: Primary and Secondary Sources, and general discussion (my term). Primary sources are from the horses mouth: what the author wrote, what he wrote about it, and what he feels the background is, as quoted directly. Secondary sources are derivatives of that: reports of discussion, summaries, direct analysis of the primary material by non-authoritative (thus the word) sources. general discussion is all else. Discussion of discussion, speculation, etc.

In literature, primary sources trump secondary sources, and general discussion. Period. The only recourse is to prove falsification: I.e "Tolkien never said that", or "he said that, but it was about his neighbor, not Bilbo, you nitwit. "

Secondary sources can be deemed authoritative if it can be shown that there is no contradiction in primary. Discussion is trumped by both, except, when a consensus (generally peer reviewed publication) raises it to secondary.

Note that secondary is by no means perjorative; it mainly measn, not written by the authoritative source, but deemed to be considered authoritaive. Its just vulnerable to contradition by overlooked (or, in the case of a living author) or new canon.

Note: In general, the works of dead authors make the best topic for analysis -they don't keep peskily adding to canon, or resurrecting things, or stating things about ones conclusion to the effect that one is wrong, damnit. And also, you can't easily slander the dead...;)

History adds another layer: that actual evidence can trump primary sources; and that primary sources can be downgraded if proven to be in error. We don't have the first luxury, and until MWM no longer is with us, the second will always be subject to revision.

So what does all of this mean here ?

The Authoritative source is the author: he has defined a set of works about traveller to be "correct" and thus cannon. These are pretty much the GDW publications, plus some add ons by the author, or direct quotes from related sources.

General discussion is ....well, all of this, fanfic, ATAU stuff, home brews, etc. fun but not to superceed canon, or take out secondary sources lightly. What is a secondary source then ? The best answer is this: published and approved of, but perhaps with caveats by the author. 1248 is canon, despite not being written by MWM -it is (AFAIK) completely appoved of by MWM; the gurps sources ? Honestly my taxonomy makes them secondary sources, and generally good ones at that (<-personal opinion; not for flame lighting). They are published and authoritatively approved -but with the caveat that they can't superceed the canon materials. Classic secondary source material: taken as true unless shown to be otherwise by explicit canon statement. But not Canon, per se.

So what's the deal ? Well, surprise surprise, there are cases where Canon in fiction and literature can contradict itself. And, the elevation to secondary source may be more contentious than realized, or less well considered than later study will indicate.

Resolving those is the issue here...it's fun for some, but contentious for others.*

My call here, and my taxonomy: If a secondary source explains an omission, it's good, and can be called canon as a general term, when I'm being sloppy. If it plugs a contradiction or error, without creating another it's good; and thus "true". If non-author based item can meet the above criteria -such as Spinward states, it is good. (Marc approved, I assume; and in any case MJM, author of 1248 (and MWM approved )certainly did. And published it, I may add)

It's not to say that there aren't massive emotive and ego driven arguments in Lit or History...far from it. But it at least gives a structure for the reader, or student to base the discussion on...which is after all, the point of any public opinion -elsewise, why worry about the rest of the world when you know you're right ?

My discussion of jump drive is/was trying to take this approach. The interstellar war books are secontdary, and largely can be regarded as canonical -except in their addion of the mass based jump effects. I say it causes more problems than it solves -others disagree. Thats the structure I intended, anyway..;)

* note that published errata may or may not be taken as primary -and that is a BIG can o' worms in Traveller. It's primary if an author corrects a misspelling, but not always (ref: Andory, for those i the know); if he changes his mind**, is it primary, or just another secondary statement ? or just general discusssion by him of his own work ?

**By the way -it has to be an explicit quoted change -the "clearly he means to say" argument don't fly as primary, OR secondary; and has been know to provoke lawsuits (re Oscar Wilde)

Ah, Captain ... :?

While I think that I understand what you mean, and do agree that it can
be fun to discuss canon once in a while with tongue in cheek, I hesitate
to consider it truly necessary or useful.

Frankly, I see a certain danger to provide the canon inquisition with yet
another piece of (tertiary) canon to start pseudo-religious scholastic de-
bates about, and while this discussion was a rather nice one, I truly ha-
te the real canon debates ... :x

My take on cannon:

In your game Cannon does not matter. You are free to use any or all of the canon in any way you desire, and your referee - and not the books' authors - is the ultimate authority (and has the ultimate responsibility) on what exists or does not exist in the game. It's your game after all. So if you - as a referee - dislike a part of the official setting, just ignore it or change it to fit your - and your group's - taste. Whatever floats your boat. No one forces you to use the books exactly as written.

Cannon matters only for authors of further official setting material - because it is their responsibility to make sure that their books would be 100% compatible and 100% consistent with all the published canonical books - that is, to make sure that you could make full use with their book together with any other books in your collection.

But for anyone else it does not matter. You dislike what a setting book says about something? Just change it.

The real questions about canon are of course muzzle v breech loading, single shot v semi-automatic v automatic, smoothbore v rifled, cased rounds v bagged...

(ducks for cover!) :)

Golan2072 said:
You dislike what a setting book says about some-
thing? Just change it.

Yes, I do of course agree. :D

Unfortunately at least a few others do not. :x

There have been several cases where I wrote something about my
non-canon setting on a forum, only to be attacked by members of the
canon inquisition who told me that my setting was dead wrong, impos-
sible or worse, simply because I did not adhere to the canon.

I am glad if people point out mistakes in my setting to me, because
this helps to improve it, but I have a growing tendency to become
somewhat impolite to people who try to tell me what kind of setting
I may create or not. :evil:

rust said:
Golan2072 said:
You dislike what a setting book says about some-
thing? Just change it.

Yes, I do of course agree. :D

Unfortunately at least a few others do not. :x

There have been several cases where I wrote something about my
non-canon setting on a forum, only to be attacked by members of the
canon inquisition who told me that my setting was dead wrong, impos-
sible or worse, simply because I did not adhere to the canon.

I am glad if people point out mistakes in my setting to me, because
this helps to improve it, but I have a growing tendency to become
somewhat impolite to people who try to tell me what kind of setting
I may create or not. :evil:

I'm sorry to hear that that has happened - I hope you don't consider me one of the ones who attacked you, or part of the canon inquisition.

My only goal was to have a discussion about some oddities in the Traveller backstory, in a thread which was dedicated to the discussion, and had clear health warnings. And perhaps a few groundrules about what might or might not be helpful within that specific thread that I started. Possibly, I did a good job of neither; but hey...next time for sure.

And so, while I value and enjoy your input, please do not hesitate to bow out or ignore such topics...note that this is NOT a snark or insult or needling comment or a passive/agressive F***OFF; just reminding you (and myself, as well as others) that as it doesn't matter one whit in the grand scheme of things you may as well be getting some entertainment out of it, or else, why bother ?

User Warnings.

This thread neither advocates nor condones the use of canon on living human beings or animals - presentation here is for legal display purposes only.
Shake before use. Warning, contents under pressure. Use in a well ventilated area. Flammable: avoid use of thread around or in the presence of open flames. Do not vaporize and Inhale. Not for use as a striking object. Wear Proper flame retardant clothing when in use. Not intended as a lifesaving device. For entertainment purposes only.
May cause extreme drowsiness or rapid mood shifts. Do not operate heavy sarcasm while under the influece of this discussion.

captainjack23 said:
I hope you don't consider me one of the ones who attacked you, or part of the canon inquisition.

Of course not, neither you nor anyone else who took part in this discus-
sion, which was a really enjoyable one. :D

rust said:
captainjack23 said:
I hope you don't consider me one of the ones who attacked you, or part of the canon inquisition.

Of course not, neither you nor anyone else who took part in this discus-
sion, which was a really enjoyable one. :D

.....is, I hope. Not was......

I have to admit, my least favorite part of Traveller are the guardians of canon in its fanbase. I don't even think the Third Imperium itself is much of a setting, and rather would like it if the inherent link between the game and that old setting was severed.

captainjack23, I appreciatte tho thought yoo put into your OP, but one of your founding assumptions appears flawed to me:

So the question arises, in a fictional world, how does one determine what is and isn't real for the setting.

One way is to badger and pester the Author...

The other is compare what is written and try to determine a synthesis...

You left out the third option: realizing that it Does Not Matter, that for any fictional construct your personal opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. Someone else pointed this out as well, but there's a particular nuance that is being missed. Specifically, Traveller is a role-playing game, not a novel, video-game franchise, comic-book universe or other invented setting that exists to be passively consumed by its audience. Rpg's are created by their users, the only canon that matters is what comes into being around the game table, anything else is just a suggestion.

Regarding published material needing to be 100% compatible with previous literature: poppy-cock. As the saying goes, things are only inviolate until a better idea comes along.

E.T.Smith said:
I have to admit, my least favorite part of Traveller are the guardians of canon in its fanbase. I don't even think the Third Imperium itself is much of a setting, and rather would like it if the inherent link between the game and that old setting was severed.

captainjack23, I appreciatte tho thought yoo put into your OP, but one of your founding assumptions appears flawed to me:

So the question arises, in a fictional world, how does one determine what is and isn't real for the setting.

One way is to badger and pester the Author...

The other is compare what is written and try to determine a synthesis...

You left out the third option: realizing that it Does Not Matter, that for any fictional construct your personal opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. Someone else pointed this out as well, but there's a particular nuance that is being missed. Specifically, Traveller is a role-playing game, not a novel, video-game franchise, comic-book universe or other invented setting that exists to be passively consumed by its audience. Rpg's are created by their users, the only canon that matters is what comes into being around the game table, anything else is just a suggestion.

Regarding published material needing to be 100% compatible with previous literature: poppy-cock. As the saying goes, things are only inviolate until a better idea comes along.

Well, yes. Unless one is pretending othrwise. As I said, it really is (for me) a kind of MetaRPG.Thats why it's in a thread, and marked as canon babble that doesn't really matter.

I don't think I've roasted you, or anyone for failing to take traveller seriously or canonically enough ; or for failing to want to play the Canon game. That some people go mental about the topic is somthing I have sympathy for, but do not have to answer for.

The initial post isn't a defense of ovearbearing canonistas, just an explanation of part of what is going on. There really isn't much more I have to say on the matter, except this:allow me to suggest that
if one wantsto express dislike for the topic, or indeed any topic, I can't stop you, but if you must (and I don't recommend it), there are several threads here other than this where the message will be read by its intended audience....

Well, before anyone gets any crazy ideas, I'm NOT a "canonista". I couldn't care less if someone's game was different to the OTU.

That may seem odd given that I quote references and so on on the J1 Imperium thread, but that's because (crazy though it sounds when I say it like this) I'm doing research on the OTU. And for that, you need to get your facts straight (which is bloody hard in Traveller given that they contradict themselves so much), which means quoting where you got them from.

And that's where I disagree with E.T. Smith. Yes, you can do what you like in your own games. But the fact that Traveller is an RPG doesn't make it any less important to get one's facts straight when one is talking about its background. It really is exactly the same as a novel, video game franchise, or other invented setting, because those things all have people writing stories in those universes (it's usually called fan-fic...), and in any shared universe there is a canon that must be stuck to if there's to be a common frame of reference.

For example, in the official Star Wars universe, Luke Skywalker does not get killed by Stormtroopers on Tatooine before he meets Han Solo - so if you write a Star Wars story in which he does, it's going to contradict canon. You can call it an alternate universe and that'd be fine, but if you try to pass that off as what really happened in the official setting then everyone else is going to come down on you like a ton of bricks.

As you say, you can do what you like around the table. But when you're talking in public about your setting, that's another matter. If you don't make it clear that you're doing something that contradicts what is in the official material then you're going to get people asking you why it's different from canon, and that's to be expected.

But please don't confuse talking about or analysing the OTU's setting and trying to get the "facts" right about it with telling people that they're wrong about what they're doing in their games. Because they're totally different things. One is just chin-wagging, the other is telling people they're having "BadWrongFun".

In other words, I can cite you chapter and verse on what canon says about jump-1 and empty hexes. But if you say "in my game, I'm throwing that out of the window and saying that you don't need a mass at the other end" then I'll say "cool. Go with that". I might say "but have you considered this or that consequence of doing that?" but I sure as hell ain't going to try to make out you're wrong (It would be different from the official canon, yes. But you've got every right to ignore that in your own games).

Yes, I agree. While contradictions within a certain setting, for example
the OTU, can be worth to take a look at, contradictions between another
setting and the OTU should be no problem at all.

EDG said:
And that's where I disagree with E.T. Smith. Yes, you can do what you like in your own games. But the fact that Traveller is an RPG doesn't make it any less important to get one's facts straight when one is talking about its background. It really is exactly the same as a novel, video game franchise, or other invented setting, because those things all have people writing stories in those universes (it's usually called fan-fic...), and in any shared universe there is a canon that must be stuck to if there's to be a common frame of reference.

I think we're coming at this from different perspectives. You're talking about discussion of the Third Imperium setting (and other fictional ones) as a subject independent from its use in actual play. From that perspective, anyone involved in such a discussion definitely needs to be talking from a common basis to be validly involved.

Unfortunately, I think that's an inferior use of setting. In my opinion, the only thing that matters when it comes to rpg's is a game's ability to create a rewarding experience among the players during "actual play". Rules, setting, even mood are all just tools to that end and are best utilized when considered as such and with a willingness to modify to taste. Furthermore, with such a frame of reference, attempting to maintain a setting unified to an outside third-party's mandated vision of such actually is a serious hindrance. When faced with the choice of allowing "cool thing X" to happen, or disallowing it because such clashes with the official material, "allowing "cool thing X" is always the right choice. Frankly I'd like to see any notion of official canon in Traveller brutally dropped, and officially called out as a bad thing by Mongoose. Maybe then this game can be free of rambling meaningless discussions about reaction plates, succession rites and pre-stellar Vilani pickling practices.

Put another way, the setting exists solely to improve play, But play is not about validating the setting.

But that depends on the players you have. There are those, like me for instance, that if you allow cool thing x, may come across a reference that says it was not possible. Not rules so much as the history of the setting. Now the player has forced a rewrite of the histroy.

And for some, that is not that much fun. better to disallow cool thing X, to preserve consistancy in the setting.

But as always, tastes very.

E.T.Smith said:
I think we're coming at this from different perspectives. You're talking about discussion of the Third Imperium setting (and other fictional ones) as a subject independent from its use in actual play. From that perspective, anyone involved in such a discussion definitely needs to be talking from a common basis to be validly involved.

Then we're coming from different perspectives. I'm not concerned at all about play in these discussions. And if you are, then frankly you're in the wrong discussion :).

Though to be honest, I'd hate being in a group with the play style that you describe (though if it works for you, great). For me, if "cool thing X" isn't possible, then allowing it is entirely the wrong choice in my games - tough luck, it ain't possible. Reality sucks like that, I don't see why a fictional setting should be any different. But that's largely down to me being a much more 'simulationist' kinda guy than you I guess. Like I said elsewhere, what one person finds fun may not be fun to someone else, and some of us like gaming in more realistic settings where reality doesn't suddenly shift for the sake of doing something "cool".

Frankly I'd like to see any notion of official canon in Traveller brutally dropped, and officially called out as a bad thing by Mongoose. Maybe then this game can be free of rambling meaningless discussions about reaction plates, succession rites and pre-stellar Vilani pickling practices.

Well, I'm glad you're not in charge then. Nobody's forcing you to read those "rambling meaningless discussions", and they don't interfere with your game, so why would you want to ban all discussion of them? If it offends you that much, just ignore it and have fun playing how you want to play. After all, none of those discussions is stopping you from doing that.

I am with you on this one EDG, but perhaps that is because I was a wargamer before there where RPGs. Or because I majored in History.

And that is a lot of the reason I like Sci-fi, or even sci-fan. At least the fantastic elements are consistant,rather than constantly modified by new magic.

Besides it is much cooler to solve a problem within the constraints of the setting, rather than just changeing the rules.

I love discussions about the cannon of a game/setting... as far as that relates to understanding or clarifying said cannon. ATUs for any game, setting are just that... alternate and have nothing to do with the cannon.

But I also have a severely tiny tolerance for "cannonistas", "scienceistas", and those who bait setting up to have a disagreement/argument.

I could go on about how GURPS Traveller is an ATU, and such, but who cares? GT books don't apply to the OTU or belong in OTU discussions. Stuff I write for my game, even if I am running a game in the OTU.

I really enjoy most of the discussions here on the forums, even if I don't jump in as much as I'd like (some just progress too fast for anything I have to be worth it). But some of the attitudes/responses of certain people just drive me nuts.

E.T.Smith said:
I'll clarify my position on this: each new book must be 100% usable with all previous books in the same setting. Changes are welcome if they improve the setting but they shouldn't by any means reduce the playability of previous books in the same setting. Why? Because people have invested quite a lot of money into their book collection and don't want their investment becoming obsolete.

That is a game designer's headache. But if you aren't a game designer, it means NOTHING to you - you could choose which books to use and which part of them to use and how in your own game.

Back