A Call to Arms Tournaments - Opinions Wanted!

Should CTA Tournaments be One or Two Day Affairs?

• I'm a Casual Gamer - One Day!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm Hardcore - Two Days!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,

The last CTA tournament we held, Into the Fire II, seemed to us a great success. More people than ever, and some very interesting game play going on. However, we are always looking to make things better. . .

One thing I would really like to here your opinions on is the format of the tournament itself. The new rules for splitting FAPs work very well for the game, I think, as it encourages the use of smaller ships. However, the flip side of this is, with more ships on the table, games take longer :)

I would also like at least the possibility of being able to take an Armageddon level ship into the tournament, or at least make War level ships more viable. So, this leaves us with one of two options;

Option One
As we are now, with a 1 day event, containing four 1 1/2 hour games of 5 point Raid. We can extend the day by an hour or so and make games two hours each.

Option Two
The hardcore option. Make games 2 or even 2 1/2 hours long, make it 5 point Battle, and run five games over two days, making a weekend of it. We could probably get you chaps some decent deals on bed & breakfasts in Swindon, and there would be (of course) the inevitable Saturday night pub session in which to congratulate, commiserate and threaten (?) your opponents.

So, what should it be?

I'm up for option 2 but not too often, and I'd need a bit of notice to find the money and clear it in my calendar.

If not enough interest in Option 2, then Option 1 is a way to go, just make it an hour longer at the end, not the beginning :lol:

Low Roller, think Donna will charge you a shelf of DVDs for this one mate.

:lol:

LBH

Well that's my annual holiday sorted, Sunny Swindon here I come.

I mean I wouldn't want to miss an Open Day, I haven't yet.

LBH

Me and the Adster would be up for it but obviously with plenty of notice and maybe with more scenarios, not that we have looked at the ones in the book to see what would be suitable for tourney play.

And obviously the Sat Night Pub Event sounds cool too :lol:

On a similar note, we're thinking of a few "tweaks" for future Tournaments, once Armageddon is on widescale release it seems a real shame you can't field one of those bad boys....
For a 1 day tournament, we're thinking;
Game 1 - 5 pts Skirmish
Game 2 - 5 pts Raid
Game 3 - 5 pts Battle
- that way you still get the impact of a 1 day event, with a little variation, and the opportunity to field an Armageddon ship (4 battle points? If I'm reading it right?)

I'm caught in two minds about this - one the one hand I like the option of two days' gaming but mainly this is from the standpoint of playing more games. Upping the game level across the board to 5 point Battle games wouldn't appeal so much to me. Playing six-seven games over two days would work for me though, with the possibility of making a couple of them Battle level. Also, I'm happy with 1.5 hours for Raid games and think the larger Battle games would need 2.5 hours to give a similar gaming outcome.

I'm not voting as neither of the options is a simple choice for me. My ideal solution would be either of the following (using the same race throughout and the same list for each size of game):

One Day:
Four 5 point Raid games

or

Two Days:
Day One - Three 5 point Raid games and one 5 point Battle game
Day Two - One 5 point Raid game and one 5 point Battle game

Once a year a two day event would be cool,
( i think Donna is already choosing DVDs :lol: )

I like the build up battle format Skirmish - Armageddon, though skirmish might be a little small.

Another format that seems to work well is the two list (PP use this fromat) you have two legal lists and when the race you are playing is anounced you choose which list you are using.

Would this be held at mongoose towers of at another venue? the towers looked a little full on Staurday :)

Just a couple of two shiny coins from me.

i like the big ships so any chance to bring something bigger along is alwys good by me - 2 day event once a year would be cool.

Two-day events would make driving there and back (and remaining alert enough to play a game or four) a great deal easier.

As for getting the Armageddon ships involved...how about having one round in the competition as a 5-point War level game, with no ships below Battle PL allowed?

if you want armageddon ships involved easy way is to say pick a 5 point fleet (whatever PL) plus an armageddon ship for your race.

Option 2...Yeah, I'd be up for that. Sounds cool, and we can all have a few beers after the first night, and nurse our hangovers the next day in another game ;)

I did think that my games didn't finish this year, so much as run out of time. So I would like to see longer games. I have an advantage over most in that my parents live near Swindon, so I voted for option two. Although option one would also be good.

Sadly option 2 is just not feasable for me. My parents live in Swindon so accomodation would be easy. BUT there's no way I would get my wife to go along with 2 days.

Sounds fun, but not worth the cost, if you know what I mean

Captain Kremmen the chicken

First of all, of course, I don't do Tournament games. But the only way I WOULD would be for a 2-day stint. The expense and travel time for a single day would be prohibitive. So I vote for 2 days.

Wulf

I've started to make gaming conventions fairly regularly so would definately be up for 2 day events - and a variation of PLs, special scenarios and such would be most welcome.

Captain Kremmen said:
Sadly option 2 is just not feasable for me. My parents live in Swindon so accomodation would be easy. BUT there's no way I would get my wife to go along with 2 days.

No problem matey - just tell the wife you're both going on a trip to visit your parents and, as you drop her off, we'll send round some lads in balaklavas to "carry you off against your will" only to return you two days later...trust me she won't be able to blame you!

Only trick is to explain why you're bringing your wargaming kit with you...

Captain Hash said:
I've started to make gaming conventions fairly regularly so would definately be up for 2 day events - and a variation of PLs, special scenarios and such would be most welcome.

Captain Kremmen said:

No problem matey - just tell the wife you're both going on a trip to visit your parents and, as you drop her off, we'll send round some lads in balaklavas to "carry you off against your will" only to return you two days later...trust me she won't be able to blame you!

Only trick is to explain why you're bringing your wargaming kit with you...

I'll give it some thought....... Iranian embassy could be easy in comparison though...

Kremmen

Back