A :2089

Balthor

Mongoose
Just wondering if there will be any new releases for this?.

My group still play this a lot and it would be great if some new stuff was on the way for it.

There is a novel (that I am a quarter the way through reading at the moment) but other than that, no. There was a lot of talk about a new edition in a box set of some kind, but nothing concrete has been announced yet unfortunately. I will be first in line to buy it when it comes out though :)

I have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach its going to end up with the RPG elements removed and turned into a tabletop miniatures based game a la Battletech (without the Mechwarrior elements).

Not that such a thing would be bad and indeed I loved Battletech up until FanPro got hold of it (not suggesting they are doing a bad job, this is merely the time i stopped collecting it)..but my first love is and will always remain RPG's.

I still think the basics of the A2089 system if applied to a RPG rich mech type environment like the Zoids universe say would be outstanding.

I love the A:2089 RPG, I bought the novel, read it that night, loved it, picked up the core book, loved the crunchiness and bought every supplement the next time I was at Mongoose HQ.

I would like an A:2089 minis game, but I prefer it as an RPG.

LBH

Battletech/Mechwarrior was able to be played as both an RPG and wargame so I don't see why A2089 couldn't as well.

The setting is amazing, and has plenty of room for both an RPG and wargame. Personally, I would be very happy to see some prepainted miniatures for it ala Mechwarrior, but I am not sure what the economics would be to produce them.

I also think maybe combining the existing rulebook (with fixed errata, and upgraded to 3.5) with Warmeks and Earth 2089 in one big book might be a good idea.

spawn said:
I also think maybe combining the existing rulebook (with fixed errata, and upgraded to 3.5) with Warmeks and Earth 2089 in one big book might be a good idea.

I owuld like both as well, but if you're going to redo the RPG, make it OGL, 3.5 OGL if you must, but not so as it needs a 3.5 PHB. If it needed a Mongoose Pocket Book, that'd be OK, but I don't see the point, as the Mongoose PHB is OGL.

LBH

I was just thinking it would be cheaper to compile the existing stuff for the most part, besides the conversions to 3.5. I see a lot of companies doing that with their older lines, putting a bunch of books together into one.

I know the sales were not as massive as Conan or anything, but there was so much potential in the setting.

I would even be happy if they did a series of novels on it, just something to keep it alive until they do release a new version/boxset. The one I am reading now is great, and I would love to see a trilogy done, or more.

spawn said:
I was just thinking it would be cheaper to compile the existing stuff for the most part, besides the conversions to 3.5. I see a lot of companies doing that with their older lines, putting a bunch of books together into one.

I know the sales were not as massive as Conan or anything, but there was so much potential in the setting.

I would even be happy if they did a series of novels on it, just something to keep it alive until they do release a new version/boxset. The one I am reading now is great, and I would love to see a trilogydone, or more.

I was kinda looking forward to the Graphic novels myself

GNs, Novels, I'd take anything A:2089 based. The author of Standing Alone used to post here, I'm sure he mentioned that there were other novels in the pipeline.

LBH

I hope, there will be some new A2089 products.....this setting has so much potential,....so Mongoose can give it up...! :wink:

I`m really interested in the announced A2089 miniatures game, as a `realistic` counterpart to Mechwarrior Dark Age.

I would be pleased to hear some new facts about the planned miniatures game!

I agree, the realism of the setting is what I like the most. Everything is rooted in history and logical extrapolation of todays hardware. I love Mechwarrior too, but it's so far in the future that it doesn't have the same "gritty" feel

AFAIK the original author is no longer with MGP and those who wrote supplements are on other projects.

With some updates to the system it would make a good base for a generic space/ future core book. Maybe release the setting as a supplement.

IIRC, the original A:2089 author was Ian Sturrock, and I don't think he is 'with'Mongoose anymore. ALthough he may have been a freelancer anyweay I dunno.

I did bu 2 of my A:2089 supplements of him on Ebay though 8)

LBH

Matthew has commisisoned me to do the third British War of Independence novel. This will be Standing Firm.

I understand that Standing Alone and Standing Together are due out in the new year (2007).

I have a revised version of the setting partly worked up. It would indeed make a decent near-future Space game, perhaps with colony misisons being launched from a war-torn earth as armageddon begins.

Hmm...

MJD said:
Matthew has commisisoned me to do the third British War of Independence novel. This will be Standing Firm.

I understand that Standing Alone and Standing Together are due out in the new year (2007).

Yay!!!!

LBH
(Off to make space on his bookshelves)

Back