5 point War Narn fleet seletion vs Minbari...help!

tschuma

Mongoose
ok. we have been play the escalting gaems starting with 5 point Patrol, 5 point Skirmish, 5 point Raid, and 5 point Battle. so far the might Narn Regime is 2-2 against the Minbari. won the first 2 and lost the last 2, though not by much. Been a little busy to write up any battle reports, so sorry.

So we are down to the last game 5 point War. I have a T'Loth and a G'Tall that survived the last game....bad Stealth checks with the G'tal, and the Scout Cruiser was sacrificed due to low stealth check rolls, but that is anohter story.

Was thinking about the following list:

1 - G'Vrahn
1 - G'Quanth, lots of E-mines and Ion torpedoes
1 - G'Tal, T'Loth, 2 Sho'Kar scouts
1 - G'Quan, 2 Dag'Kars
1 - G'Quan, 1 Dag'Kar, 1 T'Rakks, 4 Sho'Kov, Ion Torps

Would take more Dag'Kars and they have killed more Minbari than any other ship, but only have 3 models. I like to use what I have. I could also replace the T'Rakk with another scout

Any thoughts? Game is next week sometime. I will try to write a report or a recap in the next couple days as life is slowing down a little.

Tom

Fighting Minbari needs anything to help hit.

More weapon systems in any arc, so you have more chances to break stealth. Its all well and good firing a single weapon of 15AD at a Minbari ship but if you fail the stealth check you are hosed and you are very reliant on getting that single burst of heavy damage through. its a bit binary in effect

More weapons on table means more often something hits and you build up more average results on breaking stealth. Even if it is only a few AD here and there getting through - that reduces stealth for the next shooters for a start. The trickle of damage builds up.

Scouts help too. Fighters are good - swarm the Minbari and sit on them to avoid stealth. Energy Mines as well, especially with the Powers and Principalties rules in play. Don't be afraid of getting close and knife fighting as 8" and closer means less stealth.

Stealth is a major part of Minbar defences, so anything you can do to ameliorate their Stealth the better - gets you into hitting them.

whats the reasoning for a G'Quanth instead of another G'Vrahn? just curious like
model limitations?

my last big fight against the Minbari involved 2 G'Vrahns who wreacked havoc with massed e-mine fire. (took out a sharlin in turn 1 with 2 G'Vrahns and 2 G'Quans unloading)

I would also question the G'Tal unless it has upgrades from campaign battles? the command bonus isn't that hot really?

how about dropping 2 battle ships for another G'Quanth (G'Vrahn if you have a model), keep the 3 warships on closed blast doors at range, and alternate e-mine fire with pot shot beams, you do loose a ship/init sink, and of course one ship is easier to kill than two, but re-loadable e-mines against Minbari are a must
squadron your e-mine ships for the first turn for a huge wave of e-mines in one shot, split them into 2 or 3 squadrons after this (hopefully, the enemy will be at least 1 warship down already. Use your cutters to shield your big ships if you think you can pull it off. Their is nothign worse than unloading a minbari beam at a G'Vrahn, to see a shokov fly into the shot :)

I'd suggest including at least one G'Karith. Its e-mines aren't multi-damage but they aren't slow-loading either. Either help break stealth every turn or nuke lots of fighters.

Stealth doesn't help against ramming. If you have something in boresight and within 12" this turn, you can try to ram it next turn. This means it may be worth declaring a boresight target for the T'Loth even though it has no boresight weapon.

In the 5 point Battle game the 3 Dag'kars accounted for killling 3 Minbari ships. With the G'Quanth you gain 2 more E-mine dice and more Ion Torpedos at P/SAP. Plus it has a health damage and crew count. The G'Tal has upgrages and with a +2 Command it is even up on initiative die rolls.

I have 2 G'Vrahns, but I have used the G'Quanth a couple times and it really stood out as a bruiser. Get it in close and it will throw lods more dice than a G'Vrahn.

Forgot about the G'Karth. will try to fit i in. Used it in the last game too, but miss played it. It did hurt a Teshlan and took out 4 fighters.

The T'Loth has an upgrade of 2 additional AD dice, and being a brick is a great init sink to get in under 8", if it can pass the stealth check. Never rolled more 1's than in the last game.

I did rama a Sharoos with a Sho'Kov, but really didn't hurt it too bad, but was fun!

Thin I will drop the T'Rakk for a Scout and the 2 scouts for the G'Karith. Only gives me 1 scout, but tons of E-mines. Turn one I can throw like 44 TD dice and 8 Dice. Should ruin somebodies day.

1 - G'Vrahn
1 - G'Quanth, lots of E-mines and Ion torpedoes
1 - G'Tal, T'Loth, G'Kairth
1 - G'Quan, 2 Dag'Kars
1 - G'Quan, 1 Dag'Kar, 1 Sho'Kar scout, 4 Sho'Kov, Ion Torps

Thanks

Tom

My concern with the G'Quans is that they only have one shot emines.

But it does look like you have enough emines to hurt the Minbari badly.

The plan with the e-mines on the G'Quans is to use them on the turn after the other e-maine have been launched and are reloading. That gives me the opportunity to hit a ship with them and then fire the beams from the G'Vrahn and Ion Topedoes from the G'Quanth and Dag'kars. Then the next turn will have all e-mines reloaded and the G'Quans can charge ahead and get in close and maybe line up a bore sight.

At least that is the plan.

Tom

Narn vs. Minbari is a classic match up. The Minbari weapons ignore tough hulls and the Narn e-Mines ignore stealth. If it's not too late, you should seriously look into a G'Karith or two. They can virtually remove the threat of enemy fighters.

I hope your scout has a good CQ. If not, perhaps take more than one to mitigate bad dice luck. Don't split your fire. Minbari ships weather criticals well due to the large number of weapons arcs. Better one dead and one healthy enemy than two wounded enemies.

Look forward to hearing how the game goes! Hope we can see a battle report. I've found that simply snapping a picture with a phone or digital camera at the start/end of each turn is enough to jog my memory for a full report later.

Back