2300AD - Project Bayern now on PDF & Pre-Order

The last few projects that offered pre-order with time to send feedback improved those products. It was noticeable that almost immediately the powers that be started replying to those threads.

I would humbly suggest to the powers that be at Mongoose:
1. release pdfs for pre-order sale at least a month before they go to the printer
2. a dedicated errata catcher is nominated to liaise with the fan base to catch errata that appears to be easy to spot for us plebs but slips through the author, proofreader, editorial and playtest before it gets to public pdf release
3. if you author a work you show up on these boards to receive due praise and constructive criticism

The radio silence on this £75 pre-order has me worried that once again they have gone to print with glaring mistakes - I hope I am wrong.

As an interesting historical aside, I was looking for something on the FB group, and found an announcement from Gavin that Bayern, with 6 plot points and 8 interludes, went to Mongoose in August 2015...

I'm confused...
:)

It means it's been rated 7 times, but no-one has written a full review. I will review it when I've finished going through it thoroughly. It's mostly very good, with some problems introduced by the constraint of using the AEH rather than the 2012 edition. It would have been a better product if published for the 2012 edition, as the new edition drags it down a bit.

It means it's been rated 7 times, but no-one has written a full review. I will review it when I've finished going through it thoroughly. It's mostly very good, with some problems introduced by the constraint of using the AEH rather than the 2012 edition. It would have been a better product if published for the 2012 edition, as the new edition drags it down a bit.
Sure, but it doesn't say 'rated' it says 'reviewed'.

Also, the smiley-face I included indicated that I was kidding. It's just funny to see '7 reviews: no reviews yet'.

Bryn where is this discord? The link’s not working for me. It tells me there are no text channels. I hear assume that you don't want us to submit corrections vocally...

Ah, discord links have expiry dates. He's a new one:

Or find the Mongoose Publishing discord, and look for 2300ad.

If you go to your customer downloads screen and access it again the download link will be there,

I just checked mine and all the books are there.

So, when I log in to my account page, it lists what I've purchased. When I click on what I've purchased it leads me back to the purchase screen. If I click on that [and the risk of telling the system I'd like to buy the same thing twice] it tells me it's in my cart. I check that, and it goes back to the purchase screen.
So color me confused.
EDIT!:
Nevermind. Just found it. Yes, I feel less than my alleged IQ tells me I should be. :ROFLMAO:

As it was, AEG was printed was a lot of uncorrected errors in it, and some of the errors (such as the stutterwarp equation) were deliberately left in as it was too much work to fix.
I'm reading Areospace Engineers' Handbook now. Could you post the correct stutterwarp equation here, or a link to it? I've yet to find an errata link yet on the Mongoose site, though it's probably obvious and I just missed it.

Thanks,

The stutterwarp equation in the original and in the 1st Mongoose edition was based on the cuberoot, and GDW themselves did a correct conversion in FF&S:

warp eff. = (TL+4) * (MW/10T)^0.33333

Where TL is the tech level*, MW is the stutterwarp power in MW and T is dTonnage of the vehicle.

On 12th August 2016, Colin stated that the cuberoot formula produced "very odd performance curve." Sadly, I did not see it at the time, because he was wrong. The cuberoot formula is the correct one from the physics point of view.

More to the point, once he changed to the squareroot formula, he broke the speed relationship in the game. Hence the warp limits, which were his cludge to prevent exploitation of the effects his change produced, and were introduced based on me pointing out the mistake. Although now deleted, he stated that actually fixing the original problem was too much work.

* Also note that in the proposed GDW 2k3 to TNE conversion, TL was one lower. The TL range in the current MgT 2k3 comes from my misreading of an interview with, ISTR, David Nilsen in one of the British RPG magazines, Role Player Independent if memory serves.

The stutterwarp equation in the original and in the 1st Mongoose edition was based on the cuberoot, and GDW themselves did a correct conversion in FF&S:

warp eff. = (TL+4) * (MW/10T)^0.33333

Where TL is the tech level*, MW is the stutterwarp power in MW and T is dTonnage of the vehicle.
Hey thanks for posting that :) .

To get this down to "news I can use" would the stutterwarp equation be:
warp_eff. = (TL+5) ∛(MW/10T)
for current 2022 Mongoose Traveller?

All the references I see to power in the Aerospace Engineers' Handbook lack units, so I assume that traveller uses an abstract "power point" system. If so, what is the power point to megawatt conversion?

The cuberoot formula is the correct one from the physics point of view.
Since it's been decades since I calculated any quantum tunneling probabilities, and even that was just a simplified 1-D potential, can you rough-out what physical (or geometric) model would indicate that the jump distance should be proportional to the cube root of power?

Anyway, thanks for letting me pick your brain. This is an old game with a rich history and it's nice to know how to got to it's present form, and more importantly, what I can do with it. (Also, I have no idea what FF&S stands for.)

Last edited:
Back