2300AD - Project Bayern now on PDF & Pre-Order

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
The long-awaited box set for 2300AD is now available on pre-order and PDF - the epic campaign Project Bayern is here!

You can grab your own copy right here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/products/project-bayern

Project Bayern boxsetdt.jpg

The Pleiades have long been a source of wonder and inspiration to humans who observed them in the fall and winter skies of Earth.

Project Bayern provides an immense amount of source material for the 2300AD Referee, detailing the historic flight of the starship Bayern as it leaves human space to cross more than 450 light-years of unexplored territory before reaching the Pleiades star cluster in the constellation of Taurus.

This set contains all the data needed to run an ongoing campaign of adventures based around the monumental voyage of the Bayern. Details on the ship and its auxiliary vessels are included to give both Travellers and Referees a full understanding of their limitations and capabilities. Background information on the Astronomischen Rechen-lnstitut will allow the Travellers to identify with the goals of the mission and understand more completely this unique Foundation. Biographical information on the flight crew and heads of the scientific team provides ready-made Travellers or fully developed characters. Furthermore, a section on the Pleiades provides astrophysical information on the star cluster.

Project Bayern contains:

Book 1: Mission Profile
Book 2: Technical Reference Manual
Book 3: Primary Mission Objectives
Book 4: Secondary Mission Objectives
A giant poster map showing the many decks of the Bayern on one side and a star chart of the Pleiades on the other

Requires the Traveller Core Rulebook and 2300AD

Mine have no blank pages.

It's really good, except for the ship designs in book 2, which suffer from a bad design choices, poor editing and being produced by the broke AEG.

I have found a few typos, and a few problems elsewhere, but the vast majority of the mistakes I've found are in the designs in book 2.

OK, so I'm a Civil War reenactor. Last July, my unit elected me as the unit commander with the rank of 1st Lieutenant. So now I have to buy a metric butt-load of officer type gear, from uniforms to weaponry. And even in the US that stuff ain't cheap.
And, because one expensive time consuming hobby is never enough, I am a geeky a game geek as the rest of you guys.
So the Minister of Finance [aka 'The Brunette Who Says She Loves Me'.... personally I think she just has lousy taste in men, but...] happened to look over my shoulder when I did the happy 'skwee' I do when something I've been looking forward to comes out. All she said was, 'No. After the holidays.' and left the room... :D
EDIT:
The Minster of Finance would like to amend my previous statement by saying "I'm just as big a geek as he is, I hate saying 'no', and I have to say 'no' to my stuff too!"
I am the Minister of Finance, and I approved of this message...
:LOL:

Last edited:
It appears the first and last pages of the four Book pdfs are encoded in a way that some pdf software can render, but not Apple's. Given that the only devices I use for anything important are Apple, this is not specifically too good...

It appears the first and last pages of the four Book pdfs are encoded in a way that some pdf software can render, but not Apple's. Given that the only devices I use for anything important are Apple, this is not specifically too good...
Just as an aside, and of no consequence to the discussion at hand, my wife is a huge MacFan... although, credit where it's due, she's stopped short of worshiping at the Shrine of Jobs. I, OTOH, and a PC Overlord. I joke that we're in a mixed marriage... she has a Mac and I own a computer :LOL:
I AM, however, sorry that you paid a lot of money and are not getting what you paid for. Mac programming has been around long enough that this really should no longer be an issue.

Call me worried but the lack of replies regarding errata has me concerned. Never send a book to the printer until we have had the pdfs for a month.

Book 1 page 22 CDT cumulative distance travelled suddenly changes to CMD cumulative mission distance

They were literally working on it until release. Are they sending it to the printers soon? Whilst much better than the AEG, a month or six weeks for "peer review" would be useful. As it was, AEG was printed was a lot of uncorrected errors in it, and some of the errors (such as the stutterwarp equation) were deliberately left in as it was too much work to fix.

Just as an aside, and of no consequence to the discussion at hand, my wife is a huge MacFan... although, credit where it's due, she's stopped short of worshiping at the Shrine of Jobs. I, OTOH, and a PC Overlord. I joke that we're in a mixed marriage... she has a Mac and I own a computer :LOL:
I AM, however, sorry that you paid a lot of money and are not getting what you paid for. Mac programming has been around long enough that this really should no longer be an issue.
It's more the frustrating fact that PDFs aren't as universal as the salescritters say (but then, what is). It's a small frustration in the scale of life today, but it would be nice to see a fix go through.

I just finished a speed-read through the four books. Too fast to check much for errata, but I did notice that the world "Travellers" is literal inserted in between 'char' and 'acters' on p. 22 of book 3. And to bring up the point that 1 is not a prime number (book 4, p. 33 - yes, pedantic, but not a mistake a computer would make - unless its definition of 'prime' differs from ours - actually that's an interesting angle: 'by one and itself' - our mathematicians consider that to require two different numbers not the same number twice, but... oh, never mind ).

Still, I have to say it's an impressive piece of work. Not as extensive a campaign as Deepnight Revelations or the Pirates of Drinax, but with the amount of secondary objectives, it's close. A lot of thought and creativity went into this one. The original Bayern wasn't even 50 pages, and this one is... a lot.

I have a couple of other projects to work on, so I'll leave the bulk of errata collection to others.

If you included 1 in your definition of prime number, then half the theorems in number theory would have to have "where p > 1" in them, and you wouldn't gain anything to make up for it.
(I still remember Alastair Reynolds making that mistake in "Diamond Dogs". If I believed in immersion that would have wrecked mine when I read it.)

Try opening the relevant PDFs in a web browser. That sometimes works for me (on Ubuntu Linux) when I have PDF problems.

So is it possible any of this errata will make it on time?
EXCELLENT question.
I mean no jab at Mongoose with this.... the company has been diligent with cleaning up errors. But it would be nice to not need errata, especially with a product this expensive.

Back