2300AD Medusae (possible spoilers)

chrisdw

Banded Mongoose
While reading throught the Nyotekundu sourcebook in preparation for getting the 2300 core book I re-read the adventure and realised why I didn't like it as it introduced Psionics into the 2300 universe in the form of the telephathic Medusae, now in 2320 Colin changed that so that the Medusae's powers were simply rumors based on a misuderstanding of their advanced technology, me I hoping that if the Medusae do appear it's the later interpretation that holds. :) .

chrisdw said:
While reading throught the Nyotekundu sourcebook in preparation for getting the 2300 core book I re-read the adventure and realised why I didn't like it as it introduced Psionics into the 2300 universe in the form of the telephathic Medusae, now in 2320 Colin changed that so that the Medusae's powers were simply rumors based on a misuderstanding of their advanced technology, me I hoping that if the Medusae do appear it's the later interpretation that holds. :) .
Agreed. I like the concept of someone actually having a technological basis for "psionic" powers. A nice twist one really not seen and overshadowed by the "psionics is all in your head" camp.

Wait until you see "cortex hacking" in the 2300AD Core Book. The "Cortex" referred to is the cerebral cortex, and introduces rules for mechanical telepathy, ala the Cortescan 2000 from the old equipment guide.

If such a critter as a Medusae actually existed, then their "telepathy" would be a function of their technology. 2300AD is a psionics-free zone.

At least officially.

Psionics free I like, although several setting that I do like (e.g. Babylon 5) have Psionics, to me it's always felt too much like magic.

I don't mind some psioncs in a Sci-Fi game as long as its not over done. B5 did a good job at this at just having Telepaths and the occational Telekintic or something else.

JBRocky said:
I don't mind some psioncs in a Sci-Fi game as long as its not over done. B5 did a good job at this at just having Telepaths and the occational Telekintic or something else.

Powerful psionics balanced by a big downside (Psi Corps and its associated restrictions in the case of B5) can make for good drama. As well as great role-playing opportunities for players and great adventure hooks for GMs.

Back