1001 (or more) Magnamund Names

Sabbak

Mongoose
My previous post (New Kai discipline:unarmed combat) has not collected a many answers... I suppose my english level is so awfull that many of you guys are disgusted! :wink:

But let's persevere. :D

I'm looking for "good" names for my player's characters in LW.
I have made a "not-so-bad" list but I wonder if you have better (or simply: more...) ideas.

Here's my contribution:

Sommerlund origin
Kantar
Feredan
Kilvomir
Anatir
Mesric
Valder
Somonir
Valdelon
Anirian
Pergos
Otann
Drenec
Korelian
Emelas
Anter
Jarvim
Lerdanec
Maviar
Verilon
Menedon

Dwarven of Bor origin
Borik
Rogoban
Arko
Jorek
Bregor
Erok
Korik
Frem
Fergo
Obbar
Folger

But let's persevere.

That's the spirit!

I'm looking for "good" names for my player's characters in LW.

Mm, I never have noticed any pattern in Magnamund names, rather the naming seems arbitrary. (Not like in Middle Earth where you have to study Quenya (sp?) a few semesters before you can proper name an Elf character :lol: )

Are you looking for names for your own player characters or are you looking, as a Game Master, for a name list to give to your players? In the last case I 'd suggest that you let your players invent names on their own and only intervene if the chosen name doesn't seem to fit in at all.

And if a player can't find a name by himself (there are players who lack that kind of creativity) just let the other players try to help him.

The players' freedom shouldn't be limited if not necessary.

Confused Wolf said:
are you looking, as a Game Master, for a name list to give to your players?.

That's it.
I totaly agree with you when you say that it's far better to let the players choose their own character's name. This topic is just here to "help" the imagination...

Confused Wolf said:
The players' freedom shouldn't be limited if not necessary.

I agree 100%.
But some players like to have some "guidelines" to be "in the mood" of the game.

My players' characters are named fairly well, I think. I have problems coming up with new names on the spur, so a list of names before a game, to be used when an NPC comes along out of nowhere, would be great.

I like and will probably use the names you came up with (except for Korelian and Folger... One sounds like Corellian from Star Wars, and the other sounds like coffee. But if he's a hyper dwarf... ;))

My players are:
Erina - Lady Knight of Sommerlund
Myrtle - Magician of Dessi
Pierce - Shadaki Buccaneer (nick-named for his multiple face piercings)
Dekoba - Brotherhood magician
Jesabi - Telchos Warrior
Dark Falcon - Kai Lord (Though it fits for a Kai Lord name, I always picture him in spandex and a mask)
Loreen - Dark Cultist of Karaushnith (npc)

Would it be a favorable idea to list a bunch of names here that would fit with the theme of Magnamund?

Nerethel

Would it be a favorable idea to list a bunch of names here that would fit with the theme of Magnamund?

Sounds good in theory, but the problem I see is: what's the criterion to judge if a name fits "the theme of Magnamund"? As I said before I don't see any pattern, any "common tone" in Magnamund names.

Confused Wolf said:
but the problem I see is: what's the criterion to judge if a name fits "the theme of Magnamund"?

Be positive: it's not such a problem!

Let's built a kind of "name databank" and let the GM (and/or) choose and use those they like. Personnaly, Nerethel's list give me new ideas for such names.

Thank you Nerethel!

Sabbak said:
Be positive: it's not such a problem!

Let's built a kind of "name databank" and let the GM (and/or) choose and use those they like. Personnaly, Nerethel's list give me new ideas for such names.

Thank you Nerethel!

There is a huge benefit to such a list! As a GM, I have to generate NPC names on the fly all the time. I'll collect all decent-sounding names :) Great idea!

Bright Rune said:
Great idea!

Thanks Bright Rune! :)

And here we go with more "exotic" (Vassagonian?) names:

Alkemon
Bekir
Dekoba
Elberid
Ezked
Jesabi
Maarivak
Nassaar / Nazar
Nozer
Obnassar
Rezanius
Shafnir
Tarkum
Varzum
Zedinn
Zeki

George
Bob
Kickus ass
Sir Bob
Lone wulf

Ok thats enough fooling around.
And now to make this thread redundant
http://www.community3e.com/dn/dm_help/Names1.doc

As for Kai names, you could do what they do in the new order line and make a table of prefixs and suffixs. So....

Prefix: Suffix
Silent Viper
Hunting Wolf
Sun Bear
Storm Hawk
Cloud pretty much any animal
Soaring
Shield

A few Sommlending names from the original gamebooks:

Ulnar
Pelathar
Vonotar
Rhygar
Loi-Kymar
Remir
Fenor
Banedon
Madelon
Oren
Ronan
Kelman
Parsion
Irian
Dyce

I notice that names ending in "R" or "N" are very common among Sommlending.

Hello, this is Alasi/Ronan. Whatever you want to call me. ;) Here are a list of names that I use in my fan-fiction series.

Dessi:

Alasi - M
Lykaios - M
Paido - M
Kasin - M
Malvina - F
Sarra - F
Arkin - M
Marek - M/F
Ryka - F
Rimoah - M
Ardan - M
Adamas - M
Abeni - F
Faraji - M
Juhala - F
Kiesa - F
Mavle - M
Hathik - M
Tale - M
Zaraiman - M
Nail - M
Jajuel - M

Sommlending:

Irlador - M
Aithne - F
Isthor - M
Nazion - M
Chayn - M
Nothfor - M
Valsalla - F

Vassa/Vassagonian:

Katthias - M
Azriel - M/F
Kimah - M
Barraka - M
Barak - M
Khalid - M
Coman - M
Maouk - M
Salman - M
Alesther - F
Altima - M
Karna - F
Daydil - M
Hedan - M
Maltalya - F

Some of these names were invented by Joe Dever. But most were created by me and are not found in the series. They are 'fan-fiction' names that I believe fit the race.

Silentviper said:
George
Bob
Kickus ass
Sir Bob
Lone wulf

Ok thats enough fooling around.
And now to make this thread redundant
http://www.community3e.com/dn/dm_help/Names1.doc

As for Kai names, you could do what they do in the new order line and make a table of prefixs and suffixs. So....

Prefix: Suffix
Silent Viper
Hunting Wolf
Sun Bear
Storm Hawk
Cloud pretty much any animal
Soaring
Shield

Back