1+ Stealth Rolls

Locutus9956

Mongoose
Ok this has come up in the ACTA forums so time to get an official answer methinks.

By the rulebook it is only attack rolls that fail on a natural 1 (with other things like crew quality checks possibly passing on 1 if your QC is high enough and the check needed low enough).

So where do things stand with stealth? With the changes to the rule in armageddon it is quite possible to reduce a stealth protected target to a +1 stealth rating). So if you roll a 1 in this case have you passed as per QC checks or do you still fail on a natural 1 as per attack rolls?

It was possible before Arm with 3+ stealth ships. A scout and scanners to full could combine up to do it or the first ones/drahks +1 and a scout. Best of my knowledge this has always been a CQ check so a one did not fail. An official answer would really be useful here...

Ripple

Ripple said:
Best of my knowledge this has always been a CQ check so a one did not fail.
Its certainly not a CQ check, crew quality has nothing to do with beating stealth.

i asked matt yesterday as this did come up when i was facing shadows.

the answer was yes you can get automatic passes on stealth - he had a shadowhunter within 8" of my tigara and he had scanned it with his scout meaning stealth 4 with +1 for being in 8", +1 for shadows, +1 for scout means 1+. the tigara died.

My bad up top...I was thinking 'it is not an attack check so does not suffer the auto fail on a one' and wrote that drivel instead. Sorry for this interuption in otherwise useful intellectual debate.

Ripple

On a similar note, since it is possible in campaigns for Minbari ships to get bonuses to their stealth scores ("Silent Runner" on the refit chart), would it also be possible to have ship with a 7+ stealth (with the 'Silent Runner' refit and outside of 20" for example) and so cause stealth check to automatically fail without other bonuses (range, sensors to full, scouts, etc.)?

If it is possible for the check to be lowered far enough to make it automatically pass it makes sense that it could be raised high enough to automatically fail, though I can imagine this would not be endearing to ones opponents.

Back