New Setting for Legend: Sheoloth - The Sprawling City

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
A new setting for the Legend RPG has just been released on Drivethru: Sheoloth, the Sprawling City. You can grab a copy here;

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/124111/Legend-Sheoloth---The-Sprawling-City?affiliate_id=7242

Sheoloth is a thoroughly nasty place...

Far below the skies of the surface world, beyond the notice of many of the cities, towns and villages above, lies Sheoloth, a city of mystery, intrigue, and danger where the formidable and cunning dark elves live. A city full of priestesses that worship alien beings of immense power, creatures bending reality to their whim, drawing upon primal fears to shape their forms.

The Dark Mother’s plots and plans ensnare the whole city in a layer of subtle and not-so subtle-machinations. There in the shadows of the city she watches from her lair, eyes never leaving the most promising of her servants.

Noble houses constantly vie for power; the most powerful can be lost in seconds should they fail in their schemes, so they all try to curry favour in the Dark Mother’s court and protect their positions, all the while making sure daggers are firmly placed in the backs of their enemies and the throats of their allies.

The dark elves here need to be careful, for they have enemies above and below, and have to content with their own callous natures. Unknown to them, they have enemies within the city’s own shadows – the ovarisites, a strange race of highly intelligent creatures that plot and plan their demise.

They have concocted bizarre birth ceremonies to ensure the dark elves need them and allow nigh on unrestricted access to the young. Not even the Dark Mother or other gods of the dark elves are aware of the true danger these cunning beings pose.

There are other factions in the streets and alleys of Sheoloth, other branches of dark elf society that seek to seize control one way or another, from the Church of the Killer, the masculine god who attempts to wrest power away from the Dark Mother, to the Incabulos – dangerous heretics misguided in their belief that the power of the priestesses can be stolen, rather than offered as a gracious gift by the Dark Mother.

The residents of the city must also contend with squabbling merchants, wily thieves and deadly assassins. The shadows cast by these groups interweave with common folk and nobility alike, and not a day goes by when some plan fails or succeeds, resulting in loss of life or freedom either way.

This book allows players to create dark elf characters and explore the City of the Dark Mother from top to bottom, immersing them in dark elf culture for the Legend RPG while providing up new advanced skills such as Style and Intimidation. New professions such as Assassins and Warlocks open the door to the dark elves’ magical and vicious natures, while the dark elven magic of Shadowcraft, the ability to shape shadows into living beings or objects. Fleshcrafting, too, has its own dark secrets

So prepare to explore the city from the Ashen Bulwark to the Lair of the Dark Mother; just keep one hand on your dagger.

Welcome to Sheoloth.

Grabbed it - looking forward to having a read through this weekend.

Dark elves and family Christmas gatherings go together :D

Cheers...thanks for that!

Does this mean that we will get a crunch-heavy book on Dark Elves as a follow-up release? ;)

A few quick questions as I add this to RPG Resource...

Does it have an SKU?

Is it a PDF-only release or will there be a printed (dead-tree) version?

If so, what is its ISBN?

PDF only at the moment, but like other releases such as Xoth, there are likely to be dead tree versions. Matt would be the one to answer that though, I suppose it depends on Sheoloth Legend's popularity.

Hi,

I'm just curious, It does seem that there is no OGC at all in this book, not even what was already designed OGC from the last edition, is this the new trend for the Legend publication line or is it just for this book ?

Mongoose has always been a supporter of open content and I'm a bit surprised because I was hoping that, like Skraqg, it would have been totally opened...

A few answers...

There may well be a print version, though it won't appear before summer next year.

All Legend core books are and will remain Open Content. Settings such as Deus Vult and Sheoloth are not.

I hope there is print because I like the preview but do not buy PDF larger than 40 pages or so as I like to print them out. Sorry I am just old fashioned and like to hold a book in my hands. A POD would be fine if it can't be printed like your other books.

msprange said:
All Legend core books are and will remain Open Content. Settings such as Deus Vult and Sheoloth are not.
Thank you for your answer, that's clear this way !

Anyways is there any possibility to have just the professions and new skills and such things given (or sold that's fine with me) as OGC, for example "Dark elves of legend" pages 3-9 and "Drow Magic" pages 63-67, that's 12 pages out of 160+ in the book and it would be great in my opinion as it could be used easily in any other supplement designed for, or compatible with Legend ?

Bruno

Prime_Evil said:

Does this mean that we will get a crunch-heavy book on Dark Elves as a follow-up release? ;)

Hmmm, you never know. I'd probably like to build more on the dark elves from Sheoloth, since I designed them from the ground up with your help regarding the professions. I could see some smaller cult books in the series that allow people to pick/choose a cult for their dark elves or game too.

It would have new magic and new information on the cult, all the good stuff.

treps said:
msprange said:
Thank you for your answer, that's clear this way !

Anyways is there any possibility to have just the professions and new skills and such things given (or sold that's fine with me) as OGC, for example "Dark elves of legend" pages 3-9 and "Drow Magic" pages 63-67, that's 12 pages out of 160+ in the book and it would be great in my opinion as it could be used easily in any other supplement designed for, or compatible with Legend ?

Bruno

Keep in mind that Mongoose often try things out in the setting books that eventually make their way into the main Legend product line in a generic format. For example, many of the rules from Arcania of Legend: Blood Magic originally appeared in the Spellcom book for the Wraith Recon setting. However, when they were migrated into the main line all references to the Wraith Recon setting were removed. So it's not impossible that generic versions of the items you mention may appear at some point in the future - although Mongoose will obviously want to control the IP specifically related to the setting.

Incidentally, I originally designed a the professions in the book and posted them here on the forum. In that post I offered them as OGC, but was subsequently asked whether they could be used in the Sheoloth book and said yes, so it's Matt's decision now. He's given us an awful lot of material to play with already :)

AS an aside, when I developed those professions I was attempting to put together a modified character generation chapter specific to the Swords and Sorcery genre and those were a few of the obvious archetypes missing from the Legend rules. I was thinking it might be cool to put together a book with expanded character generation options for specific subgenres such as High Fantasy, Swords & Sorcery, Dark Fantasy, Gothic Horror, Planetary Romance, Arabian Nights, Steampunk, etc. My idea was that it would offer a range of playable races, cultural archetypes, and professions suitable for each style of fantasy. Each subgenre would also come with its own background table appropriate for that style of play. But I honestly don't know whether there would be much interest in such a work.

The Wolf said:
Prime_Evil said:

Hmmm, you never know. I'd probably like to build more on the dark elves from Sheoloth, since I designed them from the ground up with your help regarding the professions. I could see some smaller cult books in the series that allow people to pick/choose a cult for their dark elves or game too.

It would have new magic and new information on the cult, all the good stuff.

I certainly hope so - the Sheoloth book tries to cover so much ground that doesn't have room to linger over specific elements of the setting. There's plenty of room for expansion. However, I'd definitely recommend continuing to develop it as an open-ended sandbox setting. .

I would dearly like to put my own mark on the dark elves, I have some alt-dark elf creation myths, gods and even cities that I already have text for.

It would be a cinch to convert to Legend too.

Of course all this depends on how well the concept of dark elves in Legend actually does in terms of pdf sales. I don't work for free ;)

Prime_Evil said:
Incidentally, I originally designed a the professions in the book and posted them here on the forum. In that post I offered them as OGC, but was subsequently asked whether they could be used in the Sheoloth book and said yes, so it's Matt's decision now. He's given us an awful lot of material to play with already :)
Great news and many thanks !

I didn't saw them, I will check right now, and if you already said they were ogc then they still are, this is how things works with OGL, once something has been designed as OGC then it is OGC forever ;)

Back