Years / Calendar

Feuerbart

Mongoose
Hey!

In our last game session I had the Problem of "naming" the year my group is playing in. So I was wondering if there is some kind of calculation of years in the Hyborian World like xxxx AD or BC or so? Do the people of the Hyborian Kingdoms use a Calendar?

Greetz and Thankx!!

Feuerbart

Feuerbart said:
Hey!

In our last game session I had the Problem of "naming" the year my group is playing in. So I was wondering if there is some kind of calculation of years in the Hyborian World like xxxx AD or BC or so? Do the people of the Hyborian Kingdoms use a Calendar?

Greetz and Thankx!!

Feuerbart

Howard never gave a specific year, but The Road of Kings has a calendar of the cycle of years, months, and days.

From another post

Here is what I am using in my campaign for a calendar.

Hyborian Calendar

Twenty-one year cycle (year of the...)*
Tiger
Lion
Dragon
Cobra
Turtle
Wildcat
Wolf
Eagle
Hawk
Bear
Otter
Alligator
Mongoose
Panther
Rat
Horse
Lotus
Gazelle
Falcon
Dog
Elephant

Months**
Hyborian = Julian equivalent
Qrot (31) = June
Monodrum = July
Yuluk = August
Quidro (31) = September
Glumble = October
Grigglenov = November
Ailem (31)= December
Zan = Jan
Vivvig = Feb
Ublez (31) = Mar
Hamyr = Apr
Ducet (variable 31/32) = May

*twenty-one years in each cycle, from RoK pg. 188.

**twelve months of around thirty days each. The months have non-descriptive names, such as Yuluk, Conan RPG main book pg. 248. The year starts on the Summer solstice. Months with a solstice or equinox have 31 days. We are using Ducet to adjust for leap year and any short days. Having Qrot start right on the Summer Solstice keeps the year correct. I would like to give credit for the month names to Wydero, Dr. Skull, and the rest of his group. They did a fantastic job and the names fit perfectly in the Conan world.

Edit note, I changed the months around to fit the Dr. Skull campaign progression.

AFIK they do not have names for the days of the week. They use the calendar day only.

Examples,

3rd day of Yuluk year of the Dragon

or

I was born in Yuluk durring the year of the Dragon.

Yes, the separation of weeks is a recent invention, based, I think, on Biblical concepts of "on the seventh day He rested", etc.

Odovacar's Ghost said:
Orkin said:
Yes, the separation of weeks is a recent invention, based, I think, on Biblical concepts of "on the seventh day He rested", etc.

And on the eighth day. God created Rock and Roll!

That's a good question...Conan fights Elvis...who wins? :shock: :wink:

Mongoose Old Bear said:
That's a good question...Conan fights Elvis...who wins? :shock: :wink:
If you want to know just how tough Elvis can be, watch the movie "Bubba Hotep". :twisted:

Back